Mini Cooper Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
No mass produced car can ever be environmentally friendly. The point is they are more environmentally friendly than ICE cars.
Agreed that no car is environmentally friendly but I don't think electric vehicles are as benign as they are being made out to be.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I don't recognise the Daily Mail as a credible source :LOL:

Agreed that no car is environmentally friendly but I don't think electric vehicles are as benign as they are being made out to be.
And you are entitled to that opinion :). But not burning hydrocarbons is a big deal.

Personally, I am looking forward to electrification as a means to increase performance, not primarily to reduce emissions. I shall miss the racket my JCW makes, but I drove a single motor (the slow one) Tesla Model S a while back, and it made my JCW feel slow in terms of acceleration! Although it handled like the barge it is.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I’ve lived and enjoyed cars in what will certainly be seen as the “peak ICE” era for private motorists and I’m excited by the prospect of low emission sustainable personal transport. It’s probably true that motorists of my generation, who began their driving careers in the seventies may not see a properly sorted infrastructure in our driving lifetimes for whatever unified electric/fuel cell/as yet uninvented means of propulsion follows ICE.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I don't recognise the Daily Mail as a credible source :LOL:
Completely understand, its not called the Daily Fail for nothing but I was only doing a quick search and I regcognise the Mail is a vile right wing propaganda machine.

Regarding EV's in general, please don't misunderstand me as I think electric vehicles have something to offer but they are not the answer that they are being made out to be, I wish they were. I think the way BMW/Mini have 'electrified' the Mini is very clever with the main drawback for the user being its limited range. They have sensibly utilized a reasonably well tried/tested electric package and made it fit the engine bay of the existing Mini without any uglification which Nissan (and even BMW) seemed to feel was needed on their basic electric offerings.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Having lived with one for a month and 700 miles, I can say that it does everything you need and does it really well. It's a joy to drive and the build quality is outstanding. I love the mix of old school and new that makes it the ultimate factory made restomod of an aging platform. I think that BMW/Mini may have the perfect answer for a low cost BEV that appeals to those who don't want an Ipad driven UI and care about design and build quality. They can keep from having to retool the Mini factory during the double whammy from Brexit and Covid19 since they can make these cars in the same production line. Just put bigger batteries in the longer chassis, 4 dr and Clubman for middle and long range and price them well. No one really cares about EV drivetrains as long as it gets the work done efficiently and is reasonably fast since they are all silent and have the same powercurve. There is no need to constantly upgrade due to changing emission standards and the battery costs will continue to come down. Perhaps even offer a battery upgrade plan in the future as the batteries are located where the ICE drivetrain components were and not incorporated in to the body like a skateboard platform like the more modern BEVs. They can offset the cost by repurposing the used batteries or from government subsides on a large scale and pass on the savings to the consumer for a reasonable cost to upgrade to more efficient longer range batteries with the same form factor.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
It's great to see how much interest there is in this car... and it hasn't even arrived yet!

Other people are reporting longer delivery waits (e.g. handover date of May being put back to August), but my dealer is still saying that it's due at the end of July. I still suspect it'll be later, or otherwise that it's a cancelled order slot.

I think the debate about electric cars in general belongs elsewhere. I'd only want to reiterate what I said before about the electric Mini suiting our needs sufficiently as a second car and primarily urban runabout. It is indeed a small leap of faith with the charging infrastructure supporting a terraced-house dweller and that limited range, but as a car to do 1-300 miles per month around town it should be fine. I don't feel like an early adopter of electric cars per se (I was first interested 5+ years ago), nor of this model either (the F56 format and i3 drivetrain have been around for a similar 5+ years).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I collected my Mini Electric Cooper S Level 2 today.
It is in White Silver with Black Roof and Energetic Yellow Mirror Caps.
It also has "Corona" wheels (they are not called that anymore).
I love it so far, a few odd things compared to my VW Arteon that I traded in, but overall very happy.
Charge being installed on 12th August, until then I can use a 13amp socket overnight.

I did not order the car, it was dealer stock. I actually only enquired about it on the 16th July, took a test drive in a BRG model and paid my deposit for the Silver one they had in stock. 2 weeks later and I'm on the road.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Welcome to the forums. They have sold 13k MINI Electric's already. I love the wheels.
I think the wheels are designed to look like three pin sockets. As always with Mini, they put a great deal of thought into small design touches.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have noticed one surprise.
The screen in front of the driver is not actually all digital. There is an led screen in the centre but the two outer semi circles are individual warning lights and fixed led scales for the dials. There is also a physical pointer for the left hand dial, it is just hard to see behind the dark tinted screen cover.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts