Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Mini Electric Cooper S - Level 2 - White Silver / Energetic Yellow
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This week I decided not to charge the Mini every time I got home after a trip, I left it until today when I have been to Speke Hall and back for a day out.

Total miles covered since last 100% was 70 miles, with 62 miles range remaining according to the car, giving a total estimated range of 132 miles.
If I work out the range myself based on the 70 miles covered using 47% of the battery, then the range would be 148.9 miles.
So somewhere in between the two would be a range of 140 miles which is just about about the advertised WLTP range of 144 miles.
I did mixed driving, sometimes using Normal mode, a little bit of Sport mode (showing off the accretion to a relative), and about 50% in Green mode.
Mixed speeds / roads, including motorway for at least 20 miles, the rest in the 30 - 50 range.

I charged up when I got home (as my low price night tariff is not active yet), and I used approx 15kWh, at a cost of £2.20 (3.1p per mile).
Once I'm on the 5p per kWh tariff this should cost me 75p (1p per mile).

I have covered 706 miles since I got the car, which has used 145kWh, made up as follows:

Home charger - 126kWh = £17.64
Free charging - 10kWh = £0.00
Paid Charging - 9kWh = £1.35

Total fuel costs for 706 miles = £18.99 (2.7p per mile).
The cost for the same distance in my VW Arteon (1.5 petrol) would have been £85.50.....
A saving of £66.51 - which is more than enough to pay for my insurance and maintenance for a month, with £11.50 felt over!

Going electric seems like it was a no brainer to me :D really, really pleased with the car and the costs.
Can't wait until I got the overnight rate, my switch takes place tonight to my new supplier (Octopus Energy).
Once they have my 1/2 hour readings coming in they will start the night tariff.

If you are interested in Octopus Energy, you can get £50 off and I will get £50 if you sign up using my code:
share.octopus.energy/ore-mouse-781

·
Super Moderator
6,961 Posts
It isn't just the cost either, it's that huge grin on your face when you embarrass a big BMW or Audi who think their car is quick!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree. I have embarrassed a few people at the lights with my quick starts. It is also the way you can go 50-70 on the motorway without even thinking about dropping a gear , just plant your foot and your there.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Latest costs update:

Miles covered: 1583
Total electricity costs: £33.40
Pence per mile cost: 2.1p
Kilowatt Hours used: 392
Average Miles per KWH: 4.03
Range based on average miles per KWH: 116.4

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Free electric is free!
Purchase price was £25,900, about £1000 less than the same spec petrol Mini Cooper S.

·
Super Moderator
6,961 Posts
You can go to eg Tesco plug in and charge for free ie totally while you shop there. Other chargers can be eg Lincoln uni has free chargers for staff etc. Ie you pay nothing at all.
In terms of car cost hadn't looked at it that way but that is amazing, and the car on paper isn't but in day to day use feels far faster than my jcw f54 let alone a Cooper s. We just got a chassis number btw.

·
Registered
578 Posts
If you use one of the apps or websites that tell you about charging points you can see just how many are free.

Here is an example from the ZapMap website

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I get free electric at the following places:
  1. Local shopping centre
  2. Warrington Town Centre
  3. Bents Garden Centre
  4. National Trust, Quarry Bank Mill
  5. Trafford Centre, Manchester
And many more places...

·
Registered
610 Posts
Been considering one of these or i3S (which I had for a day and was most fun) for a while but the range is still putting me off.

Those economy figures are fantastic and I thought I was doing well at 9p a mile with my Cooper D. I think I would need a second car to do my frequent trips away for me to get away with one. A recent trip to Cornwall would have meant 2 stops to recharge.

I assume you have a 2nd car to do long journeys away?

·
Super Moderator
6,961 Posts
We are lucky enough to have a Roadster S and a Nissan Navara so with the ev we have all boxes ticked! Ultimate speed comes from the motorbikes but the Mini EV and Roadster take some beating for fun!

·
Registered
23 Posts
A new Lidl has opened today about a mile or so from where I live. Just been out to check it out and it has a Pod Point charger with two outlets and 50kw charging! That's going to be very handy when our Mini arrives!

·
Registered
303 Posts
How is this going to work out in 15 years time when everyone ( 50% + ) has an electric car....
I'm afraid the government will find another way to tax us .... and replace that all that lost revenue

enjoy it while you can...:rolleyes:

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Registered
23 Posts
How is this going to work out in 15 years time when everyone ( 50% + ) has an electric car....
I'm afraid the government will find another way to tax us .... and replace that all that lost revenue

enjoy it while you can...:rolleyes:
Yes, it's bound to happen so as you say we need to enjoy it while we can!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Morning Parky, the nice people at Octopus should be sending you £50 shortly.

Have a great day!

share.octopus.energy/gray-eland-134

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Morning Parky, the nice people at Octopus should be sending you £50 shortly.

Have a great day!

share.octopus.energy/gray-eland-134
Many thanks, I wondered where the referral came from. That is a very welcome £50 of my bill.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts