Mini Cooper Forum banner

Mini F56 Canbus listening

6K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  vanarebane 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'm trying to reverse-engineer a F56 speedo and I don't have any 3rd gen minis around. I ordered the F56 speedo of from ebay already and would like if someone can help me by listening to any 3rd gen mini Canbus. Also does the new minis use even the canbus anymore or have evolved to something more advanced and uncrackable? The 3rd gen mini has been around for few year now and I'm surprised that there is no info on the series canbus or any wiring or hacking. Even the service manual is missing and only few sites claim to have the manual for it but ask a hefty price.

I will do the signal sorting myself, just the raw data would be enough! :)

So would anyone with a little bit of hacking interests and a 3rd gen Mini around help me out.

Is there really no one here with knack for coding and with a 3rd gen Mini in this forum?

I have heard that 3rd gen minis have every loom wire counted and budgeted and this is discouraging. But c'mon, let's open a software/coding section here!

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
To the best of my knowledge BMW has always used a proprietary data-com protocol for their cars. I think the CAN bus is supported only for the mandatory OBD II connection for diagnostics. You can get real time speedo data this way for a scan tool but the car's speedo very probably is reading something else!

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I have the F56 speedo now and have taken it appart. There is Canbus chip and I have identified canbus wires going to this panel.

The canbus chip is NXP TJA1042, a High-speed CAN transceiver with Standby mode

Right now I'm figuring out what pins are the different 12V standy, start, accy and witch ones are just hot on all times, to get this speedo to turn on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.