Here are the part numbers of the required components:
Brake calipers:
34 11 6 860 267
34 11 6 860 268

Brake discs:
34 11 6 865 713

Brake pads:
34 10 6 860 019

These brakes are fitted to the larger cars that are built on a similar platform to the F56 MINI such as the BMW X1, X2, 2 series active tourer, MINI Countryman etc. The disc itself is 36mm larger than the standard Cooper S at 330mm (almost as big as the JCW brakes at 335mm). The piston inside the caliper is also 3mm larger at 57mm compared to 54mm. Installation is basically the same as with the standard brakes. Everything bolts on without any issues. As with any job that requires taking the caliper off, you have to bleed the brakes to get the air out of the system. You can also use the same brake pad wear indicators as on the F56. I paid around £100 here in the UK for both calipers and another £130 for discs and pads. I went with standard OEM spec discs and pads. You can of course also get the likes of ebc yellowstuff and drilled/slotted discs if you drive on the track. Overall I'm very happy with this setup. It performs much better than standard and is much cheaper than a JCW big brake kit. It also fits inside the standard 17 inch wheel (I have the tentacle spoke wheels and the caliper is quite close to the spokes) so no need to buy spacers or different wheels. It might not fit inside a 16 inch wheel but your mileage may vary. I'm probably the first to do this modification but it's well worth it in my opinion!

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on this efficient mod. I find the MCS doesn't give me much confidence (esp as mine is auto) with braking at speeds above 80mph.

Do you have any more in depth feed back on this upgrade?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When compared with standard MCS brakes they're much stronger. I find that I don't have to press the pedal as much to slow down when driving daily. I didn't notice any brake fade when driving the car hard (my car is also remapped to 280BHP). All the electronic systems such as ABS and EBD (Electronic brake distribution) work as they should and I didn't get any fault codes. All seems good so far!

I'll also include links to guides that you can use to see how this is done:

brake caliper replacement: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/...34-brakes/34-11-front-wheel-brakes/1VnY1hUDKX

brake disc replacement: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/...34-brakes/34-11-front-wheel-brakes/1VnXunGUOi

Brake pad replacement: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/...34-brakes/34-11-front-wheel-brakes/1VnXwoidVf

·
Registered
64 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wow, wish I could get those prices here in the US. Checking a couple of discounting BMW dealers, the best I could find is $332 per caliper, $98 per rotor, and $112 for pads, total would be $972 or £766 versus your £230. You could save some on non-BMW rotors and pads, but even so that's a huge difference on calipers.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Wow, wish I could get those prices here in the US. Checking a couple of discounting BMW dealers, the best I could find is $332 per caliper, $98 per rotor, and $112 for pads, total would be $972 or £766 versus your £230. You could save some on non-BMW rotors and pads, but even so that's a huge difference on calipers.
I think the OP probably bought the calipers second hand/off ebay....
I would be grateful you live in the States....you might have your overallowance of fatties, but UK has plenty now too, it's totally overcrowded, the houses are **** and cost a fortune, and the weather completely sucks....dunno why anybody wants to live there.....oh yeah there's a very very generous benefit system lol ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've managed to purchase all the parts. TRW discs and pads and hopefully the calipers I got are the 330mm type as there are 307 and 330mm disc on a F48 X1. £130 for the TRW disc and pads. £125 for the used calipers. Will post pics when all done.

Reactions: driver69

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've managed to purchase all the parts. TRW discs and pads and hopefully the calipers I got are the 330mm type as there are 307 and 330mm disc on a F48 X1. £130 for the TRW disc and pads. £125 for the used calipers. Will post pics when all done.
The 330mm calipers look slightly different when looking at them from top. The 330mm one has a larger opening than the 307mm caliper. I'll include photos of both. I used TRW discs and calipers in setup too. They perform very well.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
The 330mm calipers look slightly different when looking at them from top. The 330mm one has a larger opening than the 307mm caliper. I'll include photos of both. I used TRW discs and calipers in setup too. They perform very well.
Thanks for the update on calipers, my investigation into the calipers was correct, we need with caliper with the 330 stamped into them (last 3 digits)

Did the orignal mini caliper bolts fit with the new caliper, as the calipers I bought don't have any fixing bolts. I just noticed how new yours look, mine are really dirty and old. Hoepfully will clean up well, if not, a coat of silver paint ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the update on calipers, my investigation into the calipers was correct, we need with caliper with the 330 stamped into them (last 3 digits)

Did the orignal mini caliper bolts fit with the new caliper, as the calipers I bought don't have any fixing bolts. I just noticed how new yours look, mine are really dirty and old. Hoepfully will clean up well, if not, a coat of silver paint /forum/images/smilies/tango_face_wink.png
Yes you can reuse the caliper bolts from the standard calipers already on the car. According to the breakers that I bought the calipers from they only had about 5-6k miles so virtually in as new condition. Just make sure you buy one for the driver side and one for the passenger side as they are different! Main difference is the positioning of the bleed nipples. When installed on the hub, the bleed nipple should be situated upwards on both sides so that the brake lines can be attached properly. The little bolt that secures the brake disc can also be reused as it's the same. Let me know how you get on!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yes you can reuse the caliper bolts from the standard calipers already on the car. According to the breakers that I bought the calipers from they only had about 5-6k miles so virtually in as new condition. Just make sure you buy one for the driver side and one for the passenger side as they are different! Main difference is the positioning of the bleed nipples. When installed on the hub, the bleed nipple should be situated upwards on both sides so that the brake lines can be attached properly. The little bolt that secures the brake disc can also be reused as it's the same. Let me know how you get on!
Wow, you got real lucky with 6k mile calipers. My MCS has only done 8K and the calipers still look like new, will have to smarten up the 330 Calipers to blend in with my car somehow.

Pic of mine from the ebay listing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can somebody measure the distance between the bolt mounting holes on these '330' calipers please?
TIA!
Mine are installed on the car already but it's exactly the same as on the standard F56 calipers as they fit perfectly

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mine are installed on the car already but it's exactly the same as on the standard F56 calipers as they fit perfectly
You guys have got Cooper S.....I was wondering if they fit on a Cooper, think they only have 280mm discs.....but the 'hub mount' might be the same?....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You guys have got Cooper S.....I was wondering if they fit on a Cooper, think they only have 280mm discs.....but the 'hub mount' might be the same?....
The hub mounting bolt holes are the same on your car so they would also fit a MINI ONE/Cooper. You might have an issue with clearance if your car has the smaller 15 or 16 inch wheels. If you have 17 inch wheels (like I do on my car) then you should be fine to install these as well.

Reactions: driver69

·
Registered
64 Posts
Calipers arrived, they are from a 2016 car. Seals looked ok, I degreased and wire brushed them before a coat of zinc spray. Make sure you mask the rubbers!
Finish was very Matt so I put a light coat of lacquer on to try an mimick a brand new caliper. Totally wrong colour compared to stock mini/BMW when new but better than dirty and rusty.

Didn't spray the whole caliper, just the sides that can be seen through the wheel. The rest of the caliper is clean albeit stained from years of use.

First time used this zinc spray, let's hope it is durable and won't start flaking off after installation.

Busy now for a few weeks, so won't have any updates till at least August, when I can get time actually install the big brake set.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Calipers arrived, they are from a 2016 car. Seals looked ok, I degreased and wire brushed them before a coat of zinc spray. Make sure you mask the rubbers!
Finish was very Matt so I put a light coat of lacquer on to try an mimick a brand new caliper. Totally wrong colour compared to stock mini/BMW when new but better than dirty and rusty.

Didn't spray the whole caliper, just the sides that can be seen through the wheel. The rest of the caliper is clean albeit stained from years of use.

First time used this zinc spray, let's hope it is durable and won't start flaking off after installation.

Busy now for a few weeks, so won't have any updates till at least August, when I can get time actually install the big brake set.
You'll be able to see these calipers much more than the standard ones since the clearance between them and the alloys will be very small! They look very smart so should fit the look of the rest of the car now that you've got them sorted!

·
Registered
25 Posts
When you buy used brake calipers, they probably come with the caliper carrier, making a complete bolt-on unit. However, in the listing of part numbers, you should add the caliper carriers as they are required to mount the calipers, and have their own part number. For completeness of the listing, they are 34116867311 left and 34116867312 right. In the attached picture, part 8 is the caliper and part 12 is the caliper carrier.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
When you buy used brake calipers, they probably come with the caliper carrier, making a complete bolt-on unit. However, in the listing of part numbers, you should add the caliper carriers as they are required to mount the calipers, and have their own part number. For completeness of the listing, they are 34116867311 left and 34116867312 right. In the attached picture, part 8 is the caliper and part 12 is the caliper carrier.
Thanks for pointing this out! Although I didn't see any calipers being sold on their own without brackets. Mine even came with near brand new brake pads!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts