Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to give a little background, I ordered my mini back in December 2014 and my car was scheduled to be delivered in Feb 2015... well Feb came and the car arrived in Halifax NS, and was snowed in for about a month. During that time the car was fully covered in snow and they had the ingenious idea of throwing anti-freeze on the snow to be able to get the cars out...
anyways long story short, mini/bmw is now concerned about the condition of the cars and the chance of early rust and damage to components. So now their plan is to basically bring back all the cars and scrap them, and order brand new 2016 cars (same config or new car) for everyone affected...
Just brought my car in today, and the sales manager and everyone at the dealership has been awesome, they are setting me up with a brand new countryman S, until the new car comes in... which now opens up a whole set of problems... do I want the exact same car and color or do I want to change, I've had the car for about 5 months and there isnt a thing I regret about it but the possibilities are endless right now....

Oh and one more note, Benz and Audi cars are in the same situation, however, and this is according to the BMW guys, they are not doing anything to resolve the situation, no recall has been issued for these cars or anything...
love mini

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just to give a little background, I ordered my mini back in December 2014 and my car was scheduled to be delivered in Feb 2015... well Feb came and the car arrived in Halifax NS, and was snowed in for about a month. During that time the car was fully covered in snow and they had the ingenious idea of throwing anti-freeze on the snow to be able to get the cars out...
anyways long story short, mini/bmw is now concerned about the condition of the cars and the chance of early rust and damage to components. So now their plan is to basically bring back all the cars and scrap them, and order brand new 2016 cars (same config or new car) for everyone affected...
Just brought my car in today, and the sales manager and everyone at the dealership has been awesome, they are setting me up with a brand new countryman S, until the new car comes in... which now opens up a whole set of problems... do I want the exact same car and color or do I want to change, I've had the car for about 5 months and there isnt a thing I regret about it but the possibilities are endless right now....

Oh and one more note, Benz and Audi cars are in the same situation, however, and this is according to the BMW guys, they are not doing anything to resolve the situation, no recall has been issued for these cars or anything...
love mini
You are lucky then. My friend's car has the same situation as you, Mini is ordering 2016 model for her. However, her car had failed twice and in dealer for a few weeks.

BMW is buying them back to avoid liability issue.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Wow. That is the dumbest thing I ever heard. Antifreeze or salt etc. won't melt a bank of snow - if it did then we wouldn't need snow ploughs - but it will dissolve any ice on the ground below the snow and of course a solvent or other corrosive liquid will quite likely damage a vehicle.

·
Registered
200 Posts
My car was in the same situation. Did you receive a letter telling you about this? Or did the dealership mention it to you. I have yet to hear anything of this nature whatsoever. I, like you, haven't had a problem with mine

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I received a call the end of last week from the dealership saying there is potentially an issue my mini related to the snow storm, and tyat it shold only take an hour and haof to resolve. They didn't mention anything about taking it back or anything. As soon as I got to the dealership they took me to see the sales manager who broke the news to me ... according to him all minis and bmws that were stuck there will be replaced, he mentioned that after their inspection if they find any issue in the car you get a loaner otherwise you keep your car until the new one arrives... turned out there was an issue in my car so they gave me a country man instead... if you didn't receive a call I'd suspect they are just going through the list, they are trying to get all the new orders by end of October for a December deliver

·
Registered
200 Posts
thanks for the info. I will get in touch with my dealer. Maybe they will get stuck in a december snowstorm and I can get a new car every year. But you are right... Stay the same? or UPGRADE!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the info. I will get in touch with my dealer. Maybe they will get stuck in a december snowstorm and I can get a new car every year. But you are right... Stay the same? or UPGRADE!!
so far I've decided that I want a different color, my original was Black with white roof and mirror caps.... This time I think im gonna be a bit more adventurous and go with VO, might switch to the S with AT but that will need more thought as I truly enjoyed the Justa with MT.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'm toying with the idea of a jcw. Of course I may be getting a bit ahead of myself since I haven't even had an inspection done yet

·
Registered
200 Posts
I did. the general manager is the one taking care of the recall and he is off this week. The salesrep i spoke to was aware of the recall but didnt have specifics. I guess I will have to wait until next week now. May I ask if your mini is leased vs financed? Mine is financed and I wonder if they will treat them differently

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I did. the general manager is the one taking care of the recall and he is off this week. The salesrep i spoke to was aware of the recall but didnt have specifics. I guess I will have to wait until next week now. May I ask if your mini is leased vs financed? Mine is financed and I wonder if they will treat them differently
Mine is financed through BMW ... they said that the payments I've made will be refunded to me, then when I get the car I'll have to start the payments all over.

·
Registered
200 Posts
also thanks for that link. I will print it out and bring a copy with me just to be on the safe side

·
Registered
200 Posts
Good to know that's how they are doing it. Will actually work in our favour, I think interest rates are 1% lower than when I financed my first one and now we can use the payments made for a larger down payment. Not to mention all the free km's we got to do on the current mini's.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I spoke with the dealership GM. He advised me that he was going to call me next week regarding it. I have an appointment on thursday for my inspection. I was told to remove all of my property from the car and to bring both keys. Doesn't sound promising.

I am probably going to try and order a JCW as long as they are willing to offer me the same percentage off msrp as they did for my cooper s. Also I will be expecting them to cover the tint that I got with my cooper S as well. We will see.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yea either way if it passes the inspection or fails it, you'll get a new car, the inspection will only tell them if you can drive it until your new car comes in or you get a loaner now... when I spoke to them they said they will match your current car with a 2016 at no cost to you, any additional modifications are added on top, so I figured if Im upgrading to the S then I'll be paying the difference in the cost which should be about $4250 plus taxes and stuff since all the options cost the same on the S and the Justa...

I had also tinted the window and put on stripes which I expect them to cover 100%... at this point I cant stop playing with the mini configuration I already have almost every tech option in the mini, getting the S is the only upgrade left without going full JCW, i'll save that for the next mini ;)

I'll be going in this saturday to make the decisions and make the order.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Well took my MCS in and it failed the inspection. So I now have a loaner car as well. MINI treated me well all things considered. While there I took a JCW for a test drive, and then I got into my loaner countryman. This thing feels gigantic. I think I will be putting in an order for a JCW as me replacement car when the manager returns next week. I was also assured that the tinting and 3M stone protector would be added to the new car no cost to me. Anyhow. I guess back to being a kid waiting for christmas, checking vin numbers and watching transport ships cross the atlantic.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts