Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Have owned my Cooper F56 for ½ year now, and the front wipers are getting tired. They are squeeking like a pig :)

Asked the local Mini dealership about a replacement, but I find them quite expensive...

I saw on ebay that Bosch AeroTwin AR451S should fit the car, but no one of the online suppliers has the F56 in their system, so I cannot confirm it.

Have anyone of you replaced the wipers, and can you guide me to the right ones to choose ?

Thanks a lot :)

·
Registered
478 Posts
Normally squeaking is just cleaning. Can't believe you need to replace them after 1/2 year. Also aftermarket blades are not as good as originals, not saying they don't have a place in the market, but not really as a replacement on a new car. The orginals are designed around the profile of the windscreen, which means the pressure they apply is constant across the whole blade, even the tips where the screens shape comes into play. Aftermarket blades are not. (Was bored on night and watched "How its made")

Try degreasing you blades and cleaning the glass with a good automotive glass cleaner before you bin them, 9 time out of 10 the glass cleaner can also be used to clean the blade.

My previous F56 Cooper developed a squeak but I resolved it by cleaning. My current car is not that old.

·
Registered
646 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Normally squeaking is just cleaning. Can't believe you need to replace them after 1/2 year. Also aftermarket blades are not as good as originals, not saying they don't have a place in the market, but not really as a replacement on a new car. The orginals are designed around the profile of the windscreen, which means the pressure they apply is constant across the whole blade, even the tips where the screens shape comes into play. Aftermarket blades are not. (Was bored on night and watched "How its made")

Try degreasing you blades and cleaning the glass with a good automotive glass cleaner before you bin them, 9 time out of 10 the glass cleaner can also be used to clean the blade.

My previous F56 Cooper developed a squeak but I resolved it by cleaning. My current car is not that old.
Interesting! Now I know this I'll only replace with genuine Mini ones myself.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I found when my Mini F56 wipers began to squeak, it was not the wipers themselves making the noise, it was actually the rubber grommet/seal through which the wiper spindle passes on the front bulkhead that had dried out and was causing the squeak.
I lightly sprayed both with silicon lubricant and the squeak has not returned.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
I found when my Mini F56 wipers began to squeak, it was not the wipers themselves making the noise, it was actually the rubber grommet/seal through which the wiper spindle passes on the front bulkhead that had dried out and was causing the squeak.
Did this myself, along with a regular cleaning of the wiper blades with a little rubbing alcohol and clean towel.

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Buildup of contaminants on the glass cause noise a lot of the time. Try a mild dish soap and water solution and clean the glass with 0000 steel wool. The soap solution is mainly to provide a little lubrication for the process. Rinse well and then use glass cleaner/protectant if you think you need it. Don't get the dish soap on your paint work because it will remove the wax. This method is especially useful in colder climates where they use salt and chemicals to control ice buildup on the roads. Some glass protectants (Rainex) can build up over time and cause the same problem.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Had the same squeaking really annoying for weeks before I squirted WD40 on the spindle grommet and the squeak instantly disappeared and hasn't returned.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I find my squeaks to be temperature dependent

below 5 it's like a demented budgie

·
Registered
201 Posts

Iıs it possible to show a picture of this point i can spray with wd40? I didn't get it yet

·
Registered
890 Posts
I don't have a picture, but each wiper arm is fitted to a rotating, or more correctly oscillating, spindle which protrudes through the bodywork of the car just below the windscreen.

These spindles pass through a small rubber seal which is fitted to the bodywork to stop water getting into the car.

These seals can lose their natural lubrication and begin to squeak when the spindles turn within them.

So you need to spray where the spindles pass through these seals.

Hope that makes sense!

·
Registered
605 Posts
In Italy we use almost exclusively "BOSCH Aerotwin" which is the best product for quality / price

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.