Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

Does anybody know approximately what power the jcw is good for with the auto box? Been looking at the new nm power module and I'm not sure what the auto gearbox is good for safely? I have the jcw pro exhaust too so I'm guessing around 300bhp hopefully? Also what's everyone's thoughts on the power module? + what results and type of ride have people achieved from the power module?

Thanks!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hi, I've had a very quick look into these piggy back power modules and sent some emails as I'm interested in getting one. The reason I'm hesitant about NM power module is because of this email I got from a UK supplier of NM Engineering products:

Hi Rachel,

We looked into one of these for someone a few months back and weren’t confident with our findings.
Basically the European and North American ECU’s use different emissions controls and as a result the factory mapping of the stock ECU will be slightly different as well as possible hardware differences.

Because of this, we aren’t willing to put our customers at risk by selling them a tuning module which has not been tested and approved on EU Emissions control vehicles.

We’re more than happy to provide any other nm-Engineering hardware component. Just not the tuning modules.

If I go for one I'll probably go for a Racechip.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
217 Posts
After a lot of research, and strong testimonials from several respected members on this Forum, I finally decided to go for the NM Engineering Power Module myself, and have to say that I am both satisfied as well as impressed with the results.

Unlike full-on ECU tunes, this is just a piggyback module that does nothing more than provide a moderate amount of increase in boost. The Module is not traceable and removable in minutes, meaning that it won't affect your warranty or get you in trouble with the "Mini police" when you try to get your car serviced.

I am operating mine on the low setting, which according to the manufacturer, gives 23 more horse power. A "seat of the pants test" made me think this was a bit on the conservative side as the car is NOTICEABLY quicker to respond in almost every gear, and KDan, another member who has added the NM Power Module and uses it on the low setting, had the car dyno'd and got 269hp at the wheels or about 38hp more than stock.

Anyhow, I was coming from a lightning quick 321hp BMW 135i, and I feel that the PowerModule has really brought the JCW a lot closer to the in gear performance of the BMW. Imho, the Power Module provides more bang-for-the-buck than almost any other JCW upgrade out there and at least so far, I am very happy with it... :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
After a lot of research, and strong testimonials from several respected members on this Forum, I finally decided to go for the NM Engineering Power Module myself, and have to say that I am both satisfied as well as impressed with the results.

Unlike full-on ECU tunes, this is just a piggyback module that does nothing more than provide a moderate amount of increase in boost. The Module is not traceable and removable in minutes, meaning that it won't affect your warranty or get you in trouble with the "Mini police" when you try to get your car serviced.

I am operating mine on the low setting, which according to the manufacturer, gives 23 more horse power. A "seat of the pants test" made me think this was a bit on the conservative side as the car is NOTICEABLY quicker to respond in almost every gear, and KDan, another member who has added the NM Power Module and uses it on the low setting, had the car dyno'd and got 269hp at the wheels or about 38hp more than stock.

Anyhow, I was coming from a lightning quick 321hp BMW 135i, and I feel that the PowerModule has really brought the JCW a lot closer to the in gear performance of the BMW. Imho, the Power Module provides more bang-for-the-buck than almost any other JCW upgrade out there and at least so far, I am very happy with it... :)
May be a stupid question... but why are you all using the NM module on the LOW position ? I'm also interested by the module but do not understand why not using it on the HIGH position>:D

·
Registered
217 Posts
May be a stupid question... but why are you all using the NM module on the LOW position ? I'm also interested by the module but do not understand why not using it on the HIGH position>:D
This has to do with the octane rating of gas in your county - in Japan, high octane gas is only good enough for the low setting (though the high setting can be used with race fuel which is legal and available if you run your car on any of the great circuits here in Japan).

Though I used to track most of my cars when I was younger, these days I find I get more thrills just doing half day blasts though the many (near deserted) winding mountain roads outside of Tokyo, and haven't felt the need to track any of my last 4 cars (Porsche Boxtser S, Renault Megane Trophy, BMW M135M and now the JCW).

Basically the "low" setting on the NM Module is plenty good enough to make a NOTICEABLE improvement in acceleration and throttle response so I have no complaints whatsoever - in fact, compared to the performance modifications I've made on dozens of my sports cars over the past 3 decades I would say that the NM Module in the "low"setting is the best bang for the buck change I've ever made...

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Hello!

Does anybody know approximately what power the jcw is good for with the auto box? Been looking at the new nm power module and I'm not sure what the auto gearbox is good for safely? I have the jcw pro exhaust too so I'm guessing around 300bhp hopefully? Also what's everyone's thoughts on the power module? + what results and type of ride have people achieved from the power module?

Thanks!
I have the NM module and it resulted in an increase of horsepower from the rated 228 by mini although the common consensus is 231 to 261. This is verified by a dynamometer test and the actual test is available on the forum if you do a search for it. I also added the JCW PRO exhaust which added another 8 horsepower for a total wheel horsepower of 269. The torque measurement was 285 ft. lbs. with the module and the exhaust. It is also a relatively flat line demonstrating good torque for passing, etc. I highly recommend both. Similar results have been experienced by others with aftermarket (non mini) exhaust systems.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the NM module and it resulted in an increase of horsepower from the rated 228 by mini although the common consensus is 231 to 261. This is verified by a dynamometer test and the actual test is available on the forum if you do a search for it. I also added the JCW PRO exhaust which added another 8 horsepower for a total wheel horsepower of 269. The torque measurement was 285 ft. lbs. with the module and the exhaust. It is also a relatively flat line demonstrating good torque for passing, etc. I highly recommend both. Similar results have been experienced by others with aftermarket (non mini) exhaust systems.
That's exactly what I intend on doing! My exhaust is going on in 6 days (can't wait)? Do you have the auto box or the manual? I only have two concerns ... My warranty and to declare the mod or not regarding the power module ?

Would you say the car is a lot better since doing these mods??

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
That's exactly what I intend on doing! My exhaust is going on in 6 days (can't wait)? Do you have the auto box or the manual? I only have two concerns ... My warranty and to declare the mod or not regarding the power module ?

Would you say the car is a lot better since doing these mods??
Yes, and the reason I went with the NN module rather than an ECU remap was to protect the warranty. It is a plug and play connection that takes about 30 minutes to install or remove. There is no residual trace or effect once it is removed as far as I know. I have the automatic.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
100+ octane is recommended by NM for the HIGH setting, though they have conceded if you aren't doing WOT a lot, it should run fine with 92-93 octane. What will happen if you "get on it" with <100 octane gas is that the ECU will retard timing, and can actually negate any benefits gained.

Mostly for me, if it's not dry conditions, I have to leave it on LOW as I occasionally run into traction problems with my all seasons and the wet pavement. Too much power going down! :)

Reactions: FastFR

·
Registered
217 Posts
100+ octane is recommended by NM for the HIGH setting, though they have conceded if you aren't doing WOT a lot, it should run fine with 92-93 octane. What will happen if you "get on it" with <100 octane gas is that the ECU will retard timing, and can actually negate any benefits gained.

Mostly for me, if it's not dry conditions, I have to leave it on LOW as I occasionally run into traction problems with my all seasons and the wet pavement. Too much power going down! :)
Actually - thats good point. I am still running those horrible run-flats that came as standard and the NM Module (even in the low setting) puts out so much extra power that you can't go all out in wet or very cold conditions without losing traction... Still, I truly like the extra power - it is noticeable, well-modulated and as both KDan and I have pointed out, is done in a way that doesn't void your warranty (an important point for me at least)...

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
So do the boxes work okay in the UK or not?
There is no reason that I am aware of that they won't. Except for the left hand drive I think everything else is identical for the most part in the JCW. I have run mine on the high setting using TORCO octane boost, 32 ounces to 11 US gallons of gasoline. I have not run it on a dynomometer to verify increased boost or horsepower, but the butt dynomometer seems to indicate that it does. I ran the Tail of the Dragon in 12 minutes which is pretty impressive run if I do say so myself, 12 miles with 311 curves at night! No traffic then and with a group run to scare off the night critters (bears, rabbits, foxes, etc.) the return run was critter free. I did toast a good set of tires though.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
There is no reason that I am aware of that they won't. Except for the left hand drive I think everything else is identical for the most part in the JCW. I have run mine on the high setting using TORCO octane boost, 32 ounces to 11 US gallons of gasoline. I have not run it on a dynomometer to verify increased boost or horsepower, but the butt dynomometer seems to indicate that it does. I ran the Tail of the Dragon in 12 minutes which is pretty impressive run if I do say so myself, 12 miles with 311 curves at night! No traffic then and with a group run to scare off the night critters (bears, rabbits, foxes, etc.) the return run was critter free. I did toast a good set of tires though.
I reviewed the video on this run when I posted it on Paula's, my wife, facebook page. We actually did the run in 10 minutes, not 12! There is a link on her facebook page, that has the video on it. We are the lead car, and the sweeper made the video. Two F56 JCW's, ours and the sweeper's. The other 4 were R56 JCW's or S's. The tires were so hot it burned your fingers to touch. What a great run.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100011024088958

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I am going to boost the fuel to 100 octane and have the car dynoed while at the MOTD event this year. I will furnish the results on the high setting follow that. The MOTD is the first week in May, therefore, it will most likely be around the middle of May before I post the results. There is no internet where I am staying for the event.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I have mine scheduled for Friday #3 on the schedule. The price is really good, my last one was $200. I really want to know if the high setting and 100 octane make a significant difference. I am using TORCO for the octane booster. I always run 92-93 octane, most of the time Shell 93. A can of TORCO to 11 gallons should give me a minimum 8-10 point increase. I ran it the entire MOTD event last year and caught and passed a Mustang GT on Hellbender. He was not a happy camper. I could hang with him on the straights, but he was no match for the mini in the twisties.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.