Mini Cooper Forum banner

Mini Hardtop 2017 vs 2018

23K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  KYDan 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'm about to buy a 2017 Mini 3 door Hatch but I've read that in a few months the 2018 model will come out with significant changes. Is that true? Should I wait for the new one?

Thanks

#2 ·
If you want to wait that long...

Truth is we don't KNOW what exactly will be changing, just a lot of rumors and extrapolation from what they changed last time they did a mid-cycle refresh in 2011. No major changes like with a remodel, but a lot of small stuff probably changing. Tweaks to the engine, small cosmetic changes, new/updated technology, etc.

Refresh is expected to start for the 2018 model year which typically starts production in July, so the soonest you'd probably be able to get one (depending on where you live) would be late July to late August.

#3 ·
The classical question of "should I get it now, or get it better then" ... Well the problem is, if you have to get it when the refresh is due, sure you will be able to benefit couple new gizmos and minor power upgrade, but you know what ? there will be an other one, in the pipe coming a year latter that'll be even better, and it will be a major upgrade ... and so on ! There is always something "better" to come, and while you wait, you don't enjoy what is already here, ready for you.

The MINI in its current version, is a great piece of kit ! full of charm, technology and drives really well, jump now, enjoy it !

I know people tend to want more for their money, but more isn't always more, the right amount is what you need, and I think it already is perfect ! Now, of course this is a very subjective opinion, but if you really want your MINI, go get it !

Maybe you won't have the latest toys, the absolute latest release of what is one of the best cars out there (yes I think so) but you know what, there are people out there, enjoying their R53's laughing at us thinking they already have the best MINI one could get ;)

Cheers,

#4 ·
Also, it seems as time passes they are slowly taking away features that used to be standard or are making them extra cost options. For example, boot area power outlet, hidden/secret compartment, driving modes, variable color interior lighting, air conditioned glove box. I'm sure there are more that I can't think of off the top of my head. I'm glad I have a '15 model because the only thing I lost was the boot power outlet. Wonder what's next?

#5 ·
You are absolute right! I'm thrilled with my now ancient...lol!...but oh so early & rare manual trans 2015 JCW, complete with just the radio with HK (yet everything I need) and it has the hidden compartment & driver side visor!

Newer isn't always better!

#6 ·
Vetsvette, 02fanatic, you guys are absolutely right indeed, also MINI tends to pull their products more to the luxury side, rather than "bare essential fun". MINIs grow heavier, smoother ... sure they have more power, but all together they aren't as manic as they use to be. The next generation will most certainly follow the trend. So if one wants something that is fairly fun, now is the time.

#8 ·
Yes, I also miss the boot outlet terribly which reminds me of the old adage caveat emptor, which is German for we are taking away something you really like, but you will like it anyway, so buy it with the package that contains the outlet even though you don't want the other options that are included as we want more money!

#11 ·
Buy whenever you like and play serious hardball. Don't give them a price to get down to, just tell them whatever they come up with it's too much. Phone/go to every dealership you think you can be bothered going to collect the car from if it comes to it. In the UK, I don't understand why this wouldn't be every dealership in the country. On my three year PCP on a specced up Cooper based on 12,000 miles per annum there was £4,200 between the deal I went for and the worst one I was offered and the one I went for was well over £1,000 better than the next - just over the three year period. So there's your margins right there.

Car dealers are ALWAYS more desperate to sell a car that you are to buy one - look in their eyes, see that sweet desperation. And if they're not, go to the next dealer. Put the leg work in - depends just how much you want a good deal. I'm extremely tight to the point of squeaking when I walk, so I consider it a very good investment of my time scraping out a good deal. Plus I really enjoy the battle.

You'll eventually come to a dealership who's ripped a couple of people off this month so he's got a lot of room to knock more off for you.

I know for a fact that in the UK, the big BMW dealers will sell practically at cost in order to get the sale as hitting BMW's volume targets is what matters to them more than out and out mark-up. That's what keeps the logo above the door.

Hit them hard. Work on the basis they are scum; the enemy - and that everything they tell you is a lie. Ask them questions you already know the answer to - see if they lie. Then hold it against them the next time you visit. You don't need a relationship with this person - they'll have moved on the next time you buy a car.

If going for a PCP and they try messing about with "I can get your monthlies down if you pay a deposit", tell them it's a complete irrelevance as the only figure you're interested in is your 35 monthly payments and the deposit so no amount of juggling makes any difference. You could afford to buy cash if you like, this is just more convenient.

As for the bits disappearing off the cars, what has actually disappeared other than the secret (or as I liked to call it, "useless") compartment. I've got all the rest on mine. Must admit, I don't like the idea of the driving modes migrating to the toggle bank where the HUD control currently is, as the gear base seems an inspired decision and the best place I've ever used them on a car, but still.

And as for R53s. You know I walked past an R53 in Hyper Blue today, just like my old one was, and it was in pretty good condition and I thought how beautifully proportioned it was compared to the F56. I mean, OK, they can't get away with that design any more because of safety requirements and the game moving on, but Christ that's a handsome little git. And it's all very easy to look back on things with John Inverdale's rose tinted glasses (look it up if unfamiliar) as those run flats were back breakers, and that supercharger wasn't a good friend on a long motorway journey, and those indicator stalks felt like cheap Bic pens... But wouldn't iut be good to have that as your daily driver all over again.

Think I might track a good GP Works down :)

I've got 18 months to hammer out a deal on an LCI Cooper S with the bad boy mortar attack exhaust or I'm going to a 2018 Fiesta ST (assuming it's any good). My first non BMW car since 2006. Hope my deal-making shoes are still good for kicking some heads in.

On another matter, since the LCI Cooper S is going up to around 210PS and there is no planned power hike for the JCW, is it a fair assumption to say that makes the 210 very much redundant as it's unlikely to become a 220 as there's not really enough room to crow-bar it in, surely?

Anyway, that's my rambling load of rubbish. It's past 3am. I'm just hitting the keyboard like Animal.

#14 ·
Reactions: KYDan
#17 ·
Hi, I'm new here and from Hong Kong

currently driving my R50 MT, and I ordered my new car on March, and still waiting for it.
dealer told me my car will be on June's Production line, so when I heard about the new stuff on mini, I asked whether my car can also enjoy it :
New fuel level display,
Driving mode switch replace the existing HUD switch
HUD color in white at night

checked with dealer last week, the car was complete, but he didn't know if it with new stuffs or remain unchanged :(
new car will be here at end of Sep, still get 2 months to go..

#25 ·
Does CarPlay make it handle any better? HP multiplier? I didn't buy my Mini for a sound stage. I manage to struggle by with iTunes and Pandora. Then again, I'm 70, so different priorities I guess.
LIKE! I'm very happy with just the radio! I worry about buying a newer used Jeep or BMW X3 for my wife when her Jeep wears out as I will have to deal with all the screen visuals & software issues! I really can do without!

Reactions: KYDan
#26 ·
Hecko Pete, I use an ancient Garmin NUVI that has eternal upgrades, and ancient radar detector that works, and my gopros. It sort of reminds me of old airplane with portable electronics added. In other words it suits me. When I am too old and feeble to drive, I hope to get some of my sports car buddies to drive me around in the twisties, and on the track. Egads, a self driving car what's the fun in that?!?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.