Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Apologies for bumping this thread, but I am super intrigued by this as the HUD fascinates me and the idea of a retrofit sounds awesome. Any update on this?

mizme - Did you ever get a chance to install?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

·
Registered
495 Posts
Very nice detailed photos. Thanks for posting them.
I sure can use you around my house. You are very smart and talented.
I couldn't install this....for me it is too complicated.

Tell me, is it me, but the HUD looks like it doesn't sit very well on the dash ?
Are you OK with its design and overall looks and functionality of this after market Mini OEM HUD?

Thank you

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm a bit of a gadget freak and normally would have included the factory HUD in my specifications, but I had already pre-ordered the Navdy unit and expected it to arrive before I got my new car, sadly delivery of the Navdy unit has been put back again, this time till December.

If it turns out the Navdy is a pipe dream then I would be seriously interested in this retrofit.

I've a couple of questions if you don't mind, the Navdy unit has a full colour projector, this unit looks like it has coloured LED segments similar to the Garmin HUD is this correct? I take it needs a smartphone app to run it?

In my Garmin HUD there is a distinct gap between the satnav indicating a turn and the information appearing on the HUD, so much so that you occasionally take the wrong turn if there are too many turns in quick succession. Does this unit have the same problem?

Cheers for the info
Rad

·
Registered
98 Posts
radriderx - From the bmwandminigenuineparts website posted earlier in the thread I found this info concerning control of the HUD

"The Head-up Screen is paired automatically via WLAN with the smartphone"

and

"The functions can also be used individually. Even if no navigation has been activated in the smartphone, the Head-Up Screen continues to function with the vehicle information...The data comes directly from the CAN interface (Controller Area Network)."

So perhaps a smartphone isn't necessarily needed?

mizme - Glad you like it! Definitely would like to try this at some point.

·
Registered
98 Posts
And I'm almost positive you have yours installed front-to-back (facing the wrong way)?!
Oh wow, now that you mention it, it does look like it is flipped.

Mizme - It does appear the unit is facing the wrong way. It would seem from the pics that the screen should fold back when not in use, where as it appears yours folds forward (unless the stock photos they use are totally wrong).

Looking at it some more it definitely looks different than the stock photos. Is there a MINI symbol/logo anywhere that would help with orientation?

·
Registered
40 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mini Cooper s r56 head up screen installation

Hi guys I have a Mini Cooper s r56 and I bought one. Head up screen from mini Germany , they emailed me the installation instructions in Germany , I can't understand the language ,you anyone please share me your installation instructions in English, I hope you can help me for me to install this quickly thanks

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.