Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

What are your thoughts on the JCW vs the M135i?
I imagine the mini is a lot more playful and fun to drive, but maybe slightly less refined than the m135i? Im only speculating as have yet to actually drive the JCW although would really appreciate any input as I'm really stuck on which one to buy!

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Hi there are two members on here that came from a M135i into f56 JCW so I'm sure they will be along soon to give their honest view on this front.
Both very different animals to me having owned BMW's for years , I know Jimbo on here chipped his JCW and hey reckoned it was as quick as the M135i In standard form it would be well short but fun factor and the attention the JCW gets is great people just want to ask about it and look as you pass.
The 6 cylinder in the M135i is fantastic and mated with 8 speed sport box great, but the JCW has me smiling each trip it's being part of the mini community as well that appeals to me and the better half.
Both great cars at what they do but if it's out right performance it has to be M135i if it fun with great sounds 4 pot with great interior to look at great seats and a hoot to drive with turn in a heavy 6 cylinder Beemer could only dream off and the mini community is a very friendly and helpful place IMHO

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot,
that was sort of what I was expecting to be honest, I love the M135i but it just doesn't scream 'fun' at me (unless you're doing ban-worthy speeds!) whereas the mini seems to be more accessible fun, more of the time:)

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Yes that is true re more fun at lower speeds saying that I'm hankering after an M2 to replace my Beemer lol
I just love going about the town in the mini loved our last R56 S even though had a bad start to ownership in 2007 , but it got under our skin and when we got a Seat Ibiza when daughter learning to drive wife just did not like it and it was reliable cheap but just dull and no fun.
She was not looking to change so quick back to mini but it managed to convince her and she loves her JCW

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
My MA @ the dealer has an M235 & I believe he prefers the new JCW after our romp in the first JCW they got into stock! His grin was as big as mine!

Reactions: KYDan

·
Registered
150 Posts
Lots of guys on Babybmw.net are changing their M135's as they are boring, I had two and although quick in a straight line I just never had the urge to drive, I had a manual and an auto and while the auto is a great box its simply a boring car. Interior is boring, exterior is boring. suspension is far too soft. The only way I'll get another BMW is fir a full fat M car like the M3.

Hope this helps!

Hi Guys,

What are your thoughts on the JCW vs the M135i?
I imagine the mini is a lot more playful and fun to drive, but maybe slightly less refined than the m135i? Im only speculating as have yet to actually drive the JCW although would really appreciate any input as I'm really stuck on which one to buy!

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi all,

I actually put a deposit down on an M135i before I decided to go for the Mini JCW. However, something just didn't feel right with the BMW; almost a bit of buyers remorse I suspect. However, as soon as I plumped for the Mini I was so much more excited than when I had ordered the BMW. No regrets whatsoever.

Having driven both cars, I definitely think the Mini has more character. I also think there comes a point where you almost have too much power and I would prefer less power but a tighter, more involved driving experience; something I think the Mini offers in abundance over the BMW.

But, it's obviously a personal preference. Both are great cars. The Mini JCW gets my vote every time though.

Cheers,

Phil

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi. I have actually done this swap. I loved my BMW 1er and wondered whether or not i would miss the pace of the car. The JCW is definatley more fun to drive but i do find it lacking in 1st and 2nd gear once into 3rd it seems to change character and perform better. Not sure if there is torque limiting in 2nd gear but it seems to have a flat spot. I have taken it back to the dealers but they say there is nothing wrong with it.

In short the 1er was a very competent car but almost too much so, i do miss the rear wheel drive and the way you can control the car on the throttle but the Mini puts a grin on my face more of the time and around the twisty bits has seen off some much bigger sports cars (the exhaust noise is great too in sports mode).

Im actually waiting for a tuning box today to see if that makes any difference to the 1st (maybe not so important) and 2nd gear power delivery.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies,
General viewpoint is that the mini is a lot more fun to drive than the 1!
Would definitely be interested in seeing how much difference the tuning box makes to the car though.. I think that my main concern above anything else was the fwd vs rwd but if the mini has masses of grip in the corners anyway then i suppose its not that much of an issue, and makes for a much easier winter as well!

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
So, also coming from an M135 to a JCW, I would also underline the "boring" tag.

Put it this way, the M135i is an amazing package for the money, the auto is sub 5 secs (around 4.6) to 60mph, so if it's blowing people off the lights you want, it fits the bill and it's such a sleeper. With it's 50/50 weight distribution I found hitting the apex of a bend really easy, and that's the problem. It goes very quick, very easily and doesn't need a great deal of skill unless you turn the driver aids fully off. I once found myself doing twice the legal limit without really noticing, just pulling away from Boxter behind me.

I'm in my 50's, and whilst it was fun at first it soon wore off and the car felt too grown up and too sterile, even at my age.

The JCW allows me to have fun, look really cool and sound great in nice package. Very little you can do to customise the 135 from the factory, where my Mini is fairly individual. Even the auto JCW is fun to drive, I love the exhaust sound, which isn't false inside the cabin like the 135.

It's not all about speed... I need to have fun too.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Whoa... I had a modded MN6 135 vert that was close to 1 series M coupe performance and we've had 6 Minis in our family over the past few years (1 GPII, 1JCW vert, 3S's and one F56S with the JCW performance, interior and body Kits). The Minis are a blast to drive and better city cars, but I have to say that overall the 135 was a better car. Way better motor, better suspension, better driving dynamics with RWD, more comfortable and more practical. While my wife and I love our Mini S vert, we both agree we should have kept the 135 vert for our home in the US.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've currently got an M135i and it's an absolutely fantastic car. Probably the best one I've owned. Having said that I'm currently quite tempted to swap into a JCW for something different. Had a couple of test drives and loved it, soooo much fun to chuck about! Engine induction note is obviously not as nice as the 6-cyl Beemer but I loved the exhaust on the mini. M135i is definitely the quicker car in a straight line but the JCW was just hilarious through the bends and felt that bit more focused and hardcore. The BMW is significantly more comfy and practical however. Decisions decisions.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Surprising how many people have/ or have once owned an M135i and decided to change to the JCW really, I can completely see the appeal though as it does seem like such a fun little car! Have just called my local mini dealer and they still don't have a JCW on demo which is a shame as I'd really love to give one a try, maybe i'll have to try somewhere else..
Thanks for the input though as I really have no idea at the moment!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Having owned an M135i (now an S3), (wife has an F55 cooper) Im not sure why (apart from price) the JCW AND M135i are being compared?
They are totally different animals!

If I drive from Aberdeen to London and try to avoid motorways and dual carriageways, Id go in a JCW without question!

However, if I had to do the same drive on motorways, dual carriageways and main A roads, Id rather take an M135i any day of the week!

I did this trip a couple of years ago in my M135i and it was superb, effortless cruising with amazing power to overtake when required.....I arrived in London feeling totally alert and relaxed.....not many cars can do that for you!

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Agreed, totally different car (sort of). Thing is, the new JCW is quick, and certainly the most refined it's ever been, hence the comparisons I think.

The one really big thing I have noticed since reverting back to a JCW is the compliments. Nobody, and I mean nobody, ever said "That's a nice car" or similar about the 135, but I get it all the time with the JCW. Probably more evidence to how much of a sleeper it is.

I liked the 135, I just felt it had become a bit sterile. It just done everything a bit too easy, especially keeping up with cars of over twice the value !

·
Registered
51 Posts
Had a 135 (non-M) before and it was an absolute blast to drive. RWD and nearly instant torque off idle was tons of fun. Having said that, it was my wife's car and mine was "justa" 128 cab. If I had to make the same choice today, it would be the MCS and by extension the JCW. The BMW is refined but the Mini is just plain fun.

Now if this was a question between the 1M and JCW... I'd take the former :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you for all the responses it is much appreciated... I think I have decided that the JCW is the car for me! As well as the saving on cost that I would be making over the m135i, I feel like it would be a much more entertaining car to own. As much as I love the m135i; I couldn't justify the extra spending essentially for rear wheel drive, as I can't imagine that the car will be very often pushed to the point where it feels categorically fwd on the road anyway!
Thanks for all the help guys!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.