Mini Cooper Forum banner

Mini launches new mini connected app including a new personal assistant

19K views 39 replies 16 participants last post by  siriuszero 
#1 ·

Official Release: The launch of the new generation of MINI Connected takes the intelligent link-up of the vehicle, driver and outside world into a new dimension. The introduction of the upgraded technology sees MINI Connected start a new journey beyond the familiar in-car infotainment functions to include a personal mobility assistant which can also help with personal mobility planning outside the car as part of an integrated concept. Based on a flexible platform – the Open Mobility Cloud – MINI Connected weaves the car smoothly into the MINI driver’s digital life via the Apple iPhone, as well as Android-based smartphones in the future.

Details here

http://www.motoringfile.com/2016/11...nnected-app-including-new-personal-assistant/

See less See more
#4 ·
I was watching a video on the new F60 and they mentioned that, at least with the navigation headunit running MINI Connected 5.0 (iDrive 5.0), connection to the app would be wireless. FINALLY.

Video here:

Reactions: Evlkarl
#5 ·
I wonder if its as sh@t as the last one? Especially for Android? Worst part of my Mini experience by far.

Reactions: TraceyC
#8 ·
Just tried it. And more confused than ever. The new Connected App does not replace the old one (Classic) because it is just for trip planning, so it is replacing Journey Mate I think... but with less features. The new app is supposed to be a combination of Classic+Journey, which is a great idea...but it isn't. If you want to use apps like Streetwise, Forcemeter, Calendar, etc... you need the classic one. As an example, I tried to use Calendar with the new app, what happened is that the classic app opened. I remove Classic from my iPhone, and then Calendar or Streetwise did not open anymore. In fact I got this message (in German!)

So the new app is EVEN useless than the Classic one. Let's see if they fix it and we have a working app at last

#11 ·
I am looking at the MINI Motorer's Guide for the F54 JCW (have a VIN but the MINI not here yet). It appears to support apps via bluetooth. Also has Qi charging pad in the armrest. Have to wait until I get the JCW to test out the new Connected app. I would expect this touch screen unit to make to other models at some point.

#12 ·
Are you able to upload the manual? I'd love to see what it says about the new headunit and wireless charging. Give us your real life rundown when you get it!

The touchscreen will be available on the F60 and I think will be available on the rest of the lineup by MY2018 next July.

#13 ·
Unfortunately I currently only can get the info on the app and it does not allow copying or printing. If I can figure out a way to copy it I will try to post it. It is light on details. Likely more details in the onboard manual on the MINI.

It does indicate there is a "wireless charging tray" in the armrest using Qi that allows charging. And connection to the external antenna. That would require the apps to run through bluetooth and it mentions this under apps.

#14 ·
Still catering to Apple over Android... also I wonder if previous MINIs (such as the F56) will get the new 5.0 update?

Reactions: TraceyC
#15 ·
New hardware, so no.

They will have the new headunits available for the rest of the MINI lineup when the MY2018 MINIs start coming out. That's also when the Hardtops (maybe the other models too) will be overhauled for the LCI refresh. New engines are rumored and I'm sure we'll see some hardware, design, and option tweaks.

#18 ·
From browsing through the various update files and whatnot on my old F30, it's just a linux box. Simple proc/mem/hdd setup and a display as well as some input. Nothing that exciting. It's just a PC, really. I'd actually love to get the dmesg output. One for another day. But honestly, the golden rule of cars is, make sure it does everything you want when you buy it cause it will NEVER get new features.

That's always my way of thinking. Then if something magically gets added, whooooo. If not, expectations managed. Life goes on and you see what you'll get the next time.

#27 ·
Believe it or not, you are using connect. I just checked what you said. If you go to Connect menu, you will see spotify there. If you switch to, e.g., streetwise, spotify will stop. And if you push play spotify on the phone, it will play, but through "USB", not connected, and you will not have the full menu options

Spotify Through Connected:

Go to Connect, you will see that Spotify is there:

Switch to another app:

SPOTIFY WILL STOP, because you were using Connect (though you did not know)

If you use Spotify through USB, this will be the interface (just next track/previous track)

You are using Connect, the proof is that you cannot use another app and get the full menu of spotify at the same time

#31 ·
Sounds fine to me. I dont have the xl screen anyway. You are in the same situation, but thats your experience. Doesnt mean everybody else has to agree. I'm trying to provide my experience which may help others. If you dont like the solution provided, fine

#38 ·
Should. It's one of the options on the left edge of the screen: Now Playing, Search, Playlists, Additional Media

Apple Music radio stations will also show up under Playlists

#40 ·
Hmm...works great for me

Maybe try turning the phone off and on again and/or unpairing then re-pairing the phone?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.