Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to MINI to get an oil change kit for my 2014 F56S. I received the oil and filter in the customary union jack bag and headed home. I flushed and filled the system, and as I was cleaning up and putting stuff away I noticed that the oil bottles were different than usual - instead of the usual green stripe and "5W-30 FULL SYNTHETIC" plastered at least three times on the bottle, these bottles said "0W-30 MOTOR OIL". I thought, OH CRAP - they gave me the wrong oil and it isn't even synthetic. It's Saturday night and there's no way I'm getting new oil from the dealer on a Sunday. I needed the car back on the road Monday. GRRR. So I called the dealership and the parts and service counters were closed, but the GM was there and he looked up the correct oil for my car and said that this oil was indeed the correct oil for my car (P/N 83212365953) and that is was in fact synthetic, even though that is not stated anywhere on the bottle. I reiterated my concern with the GM that I did;t want to ckoe my turbo with regular oil, and he double checked and said it was the right stuff, mentioning that MINI selected a new oil supplier.

OK, so I know that MINI got a new oil supplier a few months back, but come on... I looked up the P/N on some other websites and they all say it is synthetic so I guess I am good, so that just leaves the question of grade selection. The old oil was 5W-30 with an ACEA grade of A4/B5 which is recommended high performance turbo gas engines. The new stuff is 0W-30 with an ACEA grade of A5/B5, which is for high-performance turbo gas engines with long oil change intervals. Critics will say that MINI has gone to this new (thinner) oil to get a hint of improvement in fuel economy at the expense of engine protection. I am not sure what to believe, but I am inclined to reduce my oil change interval and buy aftermarket 5W-30 full synthetic to retain the protection.

Feel free to comment on the plusses and minuses of this oil switch.

·
Super Moderator
8,208 Posts
Im with with fradaj here 0 w30 is better flowing at low temperatures and has the same, 30 viscocity when hot so better all round!

·
Registered
641 Posts
I agree!
My actual is 5w-30.
Probably my next will be 0w-30. ...At 95%!

I have a question for oil-experts here...
The rec LL4 is ok for BMW that recommends long oil interval (in italy 2 years or 30000 km)...I have changed mine at 9000km and probably I will do it again at 18000 (+ or - 1000km).
My question is...in case of "short interval oil change" can I have a better oil WITHOUT the LL4 rec? ...or also with short interval the LL4oil is the better for my engine B48?

·
Super Moderator
8,208 Posts
My gut feeling is what you are saying; with a short interval you can put a 'better' oil in-some great sites in the usa testing oil to the nth degree and the findings generally are that these long interval oils compromise wear reduction. HOWEVER someone out there will know better! Certainly no issue with using any oil that is LL01 ie the older bm spec-the Americans have to use this and LL04 spec is detrimental due to the difference in quality of their petrol, so what i do is buy the best value best priced brand name oil that is LL01 for my yearly changes-talking petrol here-diesel partic filters may be a different matter. I am currently running petronus 5 w30 fully synthetic but just bought 5 w40 petronas for my next change-bit of a better range! From thereon if i can get it at the right price my gut reaction is to run 0w40 again as i used to in my mr2!

Reactions: AarnMunro

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All good points. I just have a hard time with the bottle not having FULL SYNTHETIC plastered all over it I guess...

·
Super Moderator
8,208 Posts
I wouldnt put anything in there that wasnt fully synthetic.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I can only go by here in the UK..

When Castrol Edge was the recommended oil by BMW/MINI it was 0W-30

Now it's Mobil 1 and the recommended is now 0W-40

Personally I'd make sure it states the LL4 mark on it.

Different countries with different temperature climates could change the recommended oil I guess.

·
Super Moderator
8,208 Posts
I thought mini were now on shell Dave; the mk2 or first bmw mini they were in mobil's pockets , then the moved to Castrol-printed on our r series dipstick, now shell-if the op bought from a mini dealer in the uk the oil will be shell helix professional 0w30-that's what is on our salesman;s desk with some samples to show its purity! Mmmm just another sponsor ship deal for mini from a supplier who they negotiate preferential rates with in the hope we continue to use said oil at inflated retail prices instead of shopping around! Cynic yes fraid so. They do the same with tyres-fantastic opportunity for the tyre company to try to ensure their tyres continue to be used after the std fit ones wear out!

Reactions: Davyboy

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
You could be right Jeremy it's a job keeping up to who gives BMW/MINI the biggest discount to say they recommend them.

Personally any oil meeting the standard should be fine, it's like petrol or diesel we all use different branded suppliers but is there really that much difference?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just had first full service on my 19 plate Mini Cooper, and my brilliant independent garage said that to retain my warranty they had to get all their parts from the local Mini dealer. Thats fair enough until you discover the price of the oil they mandate that you use: 0W-30 is £22.22/litre and you need 4.5 litres. So thats £133 for 5 litres inc VAT.

Can anyone explain why (other than its a captive market BMW profit centre) ?

Surely there can be nothing so special about my pretty standard Mini that demands such oil?

I believe Mini oil is supplied by Mobil, and Amazon sell a 5 lit Mobil 1 fully synthetic 0W-40 can for £61, and Castrol Edge variant for £42

·
Registered
83 Posts
My Mini dealer did an oil change on my Cooper for about £120 including labour which means the oil must have been a lot cheaper than yours.

·
Super Moderator
8,208 Posts
They don't need to buy the oil from mini-it has to be Mini spec.

Reactions: Dragonfly

·
Registered
139 Posts
Just had first full service on my 19 plate Mini Cooper, and my brilliant independent garage said that to retain my warranty they had to get all their parts from the local Mini dealer. Thats fair enough until you discover the price of the oil they mandate that you use: 0W-30 is £22.22/litre and you need 4.5 litres. So thats £133 for 5 litres inc VAT.

Can anyone explain why (other than its a captive market BMW profit centre) ?

Surely there can be nothing so special about my pretty standard Mini that demands such oil?

I believe Mini oil is supplied by Mobil, and Amazon sell a 5 lit Mobil 1 fully synthetic 0W-40 can for £61, and Castrol Edge variant for £42
Really? My MINI main dealer uses Shell 0W-30 and you can get it for like 10 GBP a liter.

·
Super Moderator
8,208 Posts
As Ahmet says. As long as it has BMW llo4 or whatever it is fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts