Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am quite new to the whole car scene so I don't know much of the vocabulary but, I will try my best to explain my situation.
I am 18 years old, I wasn't able to be insured on a REAL JCW so I went for the latest MINI One and applied a JCW kit on it so basically the exterior and interior look 90% like a JCW F56 2015-2016.
As my MINI is only a 1.2 litre engine (I know it sucks, but when I configured, I really didn't know anything about cars, only knew about the appearance) and I have a singular exhaust, which I'm considering to transfer to a dual exhaust, I know what you are thinking, but it's possible, I would be applying the MINI Cooper S F56 exhaust to it. BUT now this is where I need help really. Let me break it down into two part questions.
1. As I will need to have a 50ml to 60ml adapter (reducer/increaser) for the new exhaust (otherwise it wouldn't fit) would that mean not being able to modify that in any way, like, I want to have that sporty sound to it like the natural popping sounds that JCW's have. So I'm wondering if like this thing called de-cat? Will work after I have fitted the new exhaust? Apparently it has a nice sound, I don't want it too loud as I live in the UK. Ultimately I'm just looking to find out if I can make my car sound like a JCW with the new exhaust and if the 1.2 litre engine will affect that.
2. If I were just to use the stock cooper S exhaust and not add anything to it like the de-cat (if that's even possible) would I be able to get that noise I'm looking for? If I need my engine to be faster, would chip tuning work? I'm just looking for the best possible way to go about this before I actually buy the things I'm planning on buying.
Hopefully this wasn't to complicated. For all the people who think it's a waste of money or a waste of time, I'm having my car for 3 years, so I want to make the most of it, I don't want to be seen in a half completed JCW haha, What I really want is for people to think I am driving a JCW but underneath all the sexy bodywork, it's a MINI one haha, it has been a great little project so if anyone has any answers to this please let me know!

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Before you proceed to make any modifications is your car still covered by a manufacturer's warranty? If so, you may want to determine how it may adversely affect your warranty. Any good muffler shop can get an adapter for your size difference. The B48 is a 4 cylinder and it will always sound different than a 3 cylinder. I don't have any knowledge of how the 3 banger would sound with your proposed modifications, but some of the forum members may be able to help you.

Check out this thread:
http://www.minif56.com/forum/833-engine-powertrain/63834-catless-downpipe.html

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hello, I am quite new to the whole car scene so I don't know much of the vocabulary but, I will try my best to explain my situation.
I am 18 years old, I wasn't able to be insured on a REAL JCW so I went for the latest MINI One and applied a JCW kit on it so basically the exterior and interior look 90% like a JCW F56 2015-2016.
As my MINI is only a 1.2 litre engine (I know it sucks, but when I configured, I really didn't know anything about cars, only knew about the appearance) and I have a singular exhaust, which I'm considering to transfer to a dual exhaust, I know what you are thinking, but it's possible, I would be applying the MINI Cooper S F56 exhaust to it. BUT now this is where I need help really. Let me break it down into two part questions.
1. As I will need to have a 50ml to 60ml adapter (reducer/increaser) for the new exhaust (otherwise it wouldn't fit) would that mean not being able to modify that in any way, like, I want to have that sporty sound to it like the natural popping sounds that JCW's have. So I'm wondering if like this thing called de-cat? Will work after I have fitted the new exhaust? Apparently it has a nice sound, I don't want it too loud as I live in the UK. Ultimately I'm just looking to find out if I can make my car sound like a JCW with the new exhaust and if the 1.2 litre engine will affect that.
2. If I were just to use the stock cooper S exhaust and not add anything to it like the de-cat (if that's even possible) would I be able to get that noise I'm looking for? If I need my engine to be faster, would chip tuning work? I'm just looking for the best possible way to go about this before I actually buy the things I'm planning on buying.
Hopefully this wasn't to complicated. For all the people who think it's a waste of money or a waste of time, I'm having my car for 3 years, so I want to make the most of it, I don't want to be seen in a half completed JCW haha, What I really want is for people to think I am driving a JCW but underneath all the sexy bodywork, it's a MINI one haha, it has been a great little project so if anyone has any answers to this please let me know!

I've done some research into this previously, I don't think you'll ever get the same pops and bangs as the nature of the 3 cylinder engine is different.

In terms of two central exhausts you'll be looking at an entire new exhaust system + bumper which is likely to run you significantly over £1000.

Have you considered just fitting a Remus exhaust or something by miltek, these are good but will set you back £700 including installation. In terms of the noise you'll want the exhaust to be resonated to reduce the noise level. Appearance wise it's a singular option however.

As you've only got the 1.2, I'd imagine this isn't particularly pokey, I'd consider a remap to add some more grunt. Alternatively a tuning box but these are less popular in the uk.

As noted however if the car remains in warranty, any modification may effect this. Any tuning should 'technically' be declared to an insurance company also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
966 Posts
Hello Harry, welcome to the forum, and let's see some pics of your car please.

At 18, how's your insurance? As has been said, any mods should be declared, so you could end up shafted for many ££££s. I'm an old fart now so it's not such an issue.

Did you spec a spare wheel? If you did you'd have to bin that with an S exhaust.

Also you'd need another back bumper, I'm assuming you spec'd the JCW kit from new and seems a shame to lose it after you had paid for it, unless the lower portion is interchangeable in which case I 'd get on first name terms with the parts guy at your dealers.

I don't know of anyone that's done this swap on a Cooper or a One, so can't comment on the noise. I recall someone asking similar with a Cooper D. If you have a look on YouTube, try 'mini 1.5t sound', that should give you some ideas from Supersprint, Remus etc as well as guys who've removed either the resonator or back box. Modifying the existing exhaust would be the cheapest option for a louder noise.

As for it being a waste of money, well it's your money... but at the end of the day if your aim is a JCW replica there's a lot more to it than bodykit and exhaust (bonnet, brakes, no front fogs, wheelarch lips, seats etc..) - mini buffs will spot a replica, the general public will just see another Mini, and young lads in modified Corsa's will lose you at the lights then be straight on their forums claiming they smoked a JCW.

Your last comment about it being a great little project, makes me wonder if you fitted the kit after you bought the car, in which case fair play to you.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I understand why you'd want to do it for the looks, but it sounds like its your first car and I'd just take your car for what it is at the end of the day... I myself know exactly what you mean as as a young driver, 21, it's all about appearance. I would imagine that your MINI One with the JCW Kit looks a lot sportier than my SD when sat next to it.

The cost you're going to outlay on the car, you will never get back and I would therefore class this as a waste of money - save the cash and stick it in the bank and save up for that JCW.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I understand why you'd want to do it for the looks, but it sounds like its your first car and I'd just take your car for what it is at the end of the day... I myself know exactly what you mean as as a young driver, 21, it's all about appearance. I would imagine that your MINI One with the JCW Kit looks a lot sportier than my SD when sat next to it.

The cost you're going to outlay on the car, you will never get back and I would therefore class this as a waste of money - save the cash and stick it in the bank and save up for that JCW.

Very well said. I think this advice is spot on. As much as you may feel it's a fun project to do, there may be hidden costs and troubles which you could run into unless you can find a wealth of information hopefully from someone here on these forums or a blog online which explains exactly what you are trying to achieve.

Personally I would just try and find an exhaust system which is a more direct swap out for your current engine if you're after a sportier sound. If you're trying real hard to get the appearance and sound exactly like a JCW then personally I think you're wasting your time with your current engine I'm afraid.

Maybe save up for a trade in for a second hand JCW or Cooper S in the future could be a better option.

Reactions: brandonbardsley
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.