Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my Mini One has been making a really strange 'rattle noise' for a few months now.
It mostly occurs when moving off from stationary but occasionally happens while cruising.

I've taken the car into the dealership a few times, the first of which they replaced the turbo. The second time I took it back, they kept my car for 2 days and then told me they couldn't hear anything, so asked me to take one of the technicians out in it. Straight away they could hear it and the technician seemed to think it was the turbo - which had already been replaced.
So i got the car booked in again where once again they kept it for a further 2 days (i tried to phone them 3 times during this time to find out what the situation was and they never got back to me. I then had to go in in person at which point i was then told there was nothing wrong with it as this noise is apparently 'normal'.)

I can guarantee this isn't a normal noise for a car to make.
I have a few friends who are mechanics who have been in the car when it has happened and they're also sure it's not 'normal'.

On top of this, my car has been in and out of the garage for numerous things like badges falling off and countless warning lights - all of which were caused by 'loose wiring'.

So, does anyone else with a Mini One (or anyone with any type of F56) have this same noise? And if so, what do I do about it as I'm now very reluctant to take it back to my local dealership because they just seem to brush me off to the side and ignore me whenever I go in.

Seriously disappointed with their customer service.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I' ve had the same problem since day one. It appears @ ~1800rpm and it occurs evry now and then. Once when a technician heard it told me it was the timing belt that needed to be tightened. I took it again last week but couldn't figure it out... Try recording it and if you manage to do it successfuly send me a copy to fed it to my garage as well... :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
It was a rattling noise from cold when depressing the clutch that made me take my Mini One in for investigation, result was a new engine. It didn't make any noise when warmed up nor did the clutch pedal stick down as others have experienced.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I' ve had the same problem since day one. It appears @ ~1800rpm and it occurs evry now and then. Once when a technician heard it told me it was the timing belt that needed to be tightened. I took it again last week but couldn't figure it out... Try recording it and if you manage to do it successfuly send me a copy to fed it to my garage as well... :)
I believe these engines have a timing chain rather than a belt, but a loose tensioner could still make a rattle.

·
Registered
375 Posts
We had the same with our VW TSI engine after a cold start and they claimed it was the timing chain which has been replaced under warranty. The rattling noise was gone for a while bit came back when the engine is running stationary. I know it's not a Mini but more or less sounds like the same problem whenever we take it to the dealer the sounds isn't there. Let me know if they find something, could also be the solution for our problem.

Mini has done 4800 km by now and so far no technical issues.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.