Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hit a deer this morning, and this activated!
apart from a crack in the black part of the front bumper and the above activating don't think the car is damaged

but system is telling me I need to go straight to a mini dealer to get sorted

anyone had this, and how much does it cost to get reset! ?

and would I be better going through my insurance,?

·
Super Moderator
8,744 Posts
Oh heck poor you (and deer).what part of the protection system went off? I assume your airbag didnt go off so it might be the pyrotechnic seatbelt tensioner? Bit odd that but it may just be a reset but likewise something may have gone off and need deplacing. Let us know how you get on. Id get a quote from the dealer before i got in touch with the insurance!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh heck poor you (and deer).what part of the protection system went off? I assume your airbag didnt go off so it might be the pyrotechnic seatbelt tensioner? Bit odd that but it may just be a reset but likewise something may have gone off and need deplacing. Let us know how you get on. Id get a quote from the dealer before i got in touch with the insurance!

hey Mate
thanks for the reply
its the part of the system that pulls the bonnet up and close to the windscreen
I spoke to the mini repair shop and he advised it would be at least £1000 if not close to £2000
as all the hinges etc will need replacing and painting, plus the system being reset with various parts being replaced, he actually advised calling my insurer,

which I have done, its flaming crazy, if it wernt for the system protection I would have had a cracked black bumper cover that's behind the number plate, that looks like all that's was actually damaged :(

LV insurance said I could go thru the mini workshop but it can take up to 5 days for VL to even agree the estimate, where as their approved repairer would be a lot quicker and genuine mini parts are used,

so I have had to go with that option as don't have a courtesy car on my insurance, and back to work Monday so need my car sorted

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,744 Posts
Good grief poor you. Its the beep pedstrian protection system. Bonnet has pyrotechnics under it so if a person gets in your way the bonnet pops up to cushion them grrrrrr! Obviously it can make the smallest bump really expensive plus of course the bonnet is really soft and easy to dent. Thats why you need to drop it not push it. Advances in road safety hey. Could do without it!

Incidentally deer are becoming a huge problem in the uk

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
The are a nightmare here in the US the populations have burgeoned with the decrease in hunting and they are everywhere. They seem to just go insane when they encounter vehicles. They are everywhere and have moved into city parks and you have to be incredibly cautious around them. I had one turn around run across a large median and 3 traffic lanes and literally attack the side of my truck. It did not render the vehicle un drivable, but it was over $3,000 US. They are particularly a hazard for motorcyclists.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
yeah you can see from the photos were the gas cylinder is and were the epxlosive bolts were that go when the cylynder pushes the bonnet up,

im sure its not that simple but it looks to me as all they need to do is replace the gas cylinder and refit the bolts, all this trouble about changing the mounts n hinges etc just seems a waste of time , like £1500 when it could probably be sorted for less than £500 :mad:

the assessor is coming out at 4pm, i hope he knows exactly what needs doing, if im not convinced think i will call the insurance company and take it to mini

again thanks for the replies guys

Attachments

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Feeling your pain!

Some bill for what looks little damage, there's no doubting safety in vehicles is really good these days but what a price we pay when it goes wrong!

Good plan about going to MINI if the assessor looks bewildered, I'd be wondering if their bodyshop have encountered this type of repair before?

If you went to MINI, even though they can't start for a few days, wouldn't they have a car you could use? I know my dealer will try to put themselves out to help.

What about MINI assist? afterall your car is undriveable as it is!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey Madmax

Just noticed this, big price for what should be a simple fix (if it wasn't for the protection system)

I have noticed a few deers on my way to work so will need to pay attention in future.

By the way I think I work at the same place as you??

Finnster

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Feeling your pain!

Some bill for what looks little damage, there's no doubting safety in vehicles is really good these days but what a price we pay when it goes wrong!

Good plan about going to MINI if the assessor looks bewildered, I'd be wondering if their bodyshop have encountered this type of repair before?

If you went to MINI, even though they can't start for a few days, wouldn't they have a car you could use? I know my dealer will try to put themselves out to help.

What about MINI assist? after all your car is undriveable as it is!
the guy that came out to assess the damage, was a really nice guy, we had a good chat, seem to know his stuff, certainly made me feel comfortable, he did say that in the end the mini might have to go to the stealers to get completely reset, said he would send off details later yesterday, and at 17:50 last night got a text from insurer saying repairs have been approved, so just waiting for them to call to say when the car will be picked up.

it was a hard one with Mini themselves, i could of tried mini assist, but after calling the dealers and the girl basically put me straight thru to the body shop who recommended i call my insurer, i didnt want to go through the mill just to be told "yep you need to call your insurer" and battle getting them to agree the repairs,

when your in a situation when you need the car sorted i guess sometimes you only have one road to take, had the car been completely un drive-able then i would have could mini assist,

Hey Madmax

Just noticed this, big price for what should be a simple fix (if it wasn't for the protection system)

I have noticed a few deers on my way to work so will need to pay attention in future.

By the way I think I work at the same place as you??

Finnster
lol yeah deer season me thinks, i work in Corsham ?

yes very miffed, if i owned the car outright and it wasn't under warranty, i would have definately lifted the bonnet, stuck a few nuts n bolts in the brackets job done, at least anyone out there waiting for someone in a new mini or BMW to hit them be rest assured your landing may be not so hard at the cost of the driver/insurer

i guess in reflection and looking at the video , there was no way i would have avoided the poor deer, and im alive and unhurt and the car is in one piece so life goes on,

·
Super Moderator
8,744 Posts
Very true could be much worse my wife hit a deerprior to having minis, needed new front bumper bonnet wing, door and boot hatch and window and rear bumper(it hit that on way down) ! Very nearly wrote the car off!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very true could be much worse my wife hit a deerprior to having minis, needed new front bumper bonnet wing, door and boot hatch and window and rear bumper(it hit that on way down) ! Very nearly wrote the car off!
well your wife has my sympathies , that sounded alot worse than my accident to be fair! "SHAME THEY DONT LEARN THE GREEN CROSS CODE !!!! LOL"

·
Registered
49 Posts
the guy that came out to assess the damage, was a really nice guy, we had a good chat, seem to know his stuff, certainly made me feel comfortable, he did say that in the end the mini might have to go to the stealers to get completely reset, said he would send off details later yesterday, and at 17:50 last night got a text from insurer saying repairs have been approved, so just waiting for them to call to say when the car will be picked up.

it was a hard one with Mini themselves, i could of tried mini assist, but after calling the dealers and the girl basically put me straight thru to the body shop who recommended i call my insurer, i didnt want to go through the mill just to be told "yep you need to call your insurer" and battle getting them to agree the repairs,

when your in a situation when you need the car sorted i guess sometimes you only have one road to take, had the car been completely un drive-able then i would have could mini assist,

lol yeah deer season me thinks, i work in Corsham ?

yes very miffed, if i owned the car outright and it wasn't under warranty, i would have definately lifted the bonnet, stuck a few nuts n bolts in the brackets job done, at least anyone out there waiting for someone in a new mini or BMW to hit them be rest assured your landing may be not so hard at the cost of the driver/insurer

i guess in reflection and looking at the video , there was no way i would have avoided the poor deer, and im alive and unhurt and the car is in one piece so life goes on,
Yup I work there too, quite a few minis lurking around - haven't seen yours but will look out for it now!

Should be easy to spot......at least until it gets fixed :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yup I work there too, quite a few minis lurking around - haven't seen yours but will look out for it now!

Should be easy to spot......at least until it gets fixed :)
im gonna look like amadman >:D waving at black minis in the car park! will end up getting locked up lol

hes off to get repaired tomorrow, repairs start monday, not sure when he will be back, hopefully latest week monday

·
Registered
39 Posts
That pedestrian protection system is really interesting, I didn't know the new cars had that. Deer are crazy where I live. Over the years, I've had 13 encounters! I kid you not. One year, it was all three cars within 3 months.

And then there was the raccoon: About 6 months ago, a raccoon was in the center of the road by the concrete barrier. With perfect timing, it launched itself. All I saw was a flash of fur. This was in the 435. It cracked the front bumper and twisted the intercooler and oil cooler. Total was > $4,000. The good news is that the car is as good as new now. I think the raccoon was vaporized.

Attachments

Reactions: MaDMaX**

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yeah, they are actually pretty smart, but I don't think evolution has yet enabled them to judge of the speed of a BMW approaching at 80 mph. His timing was probably set for mountain lion speed.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
mini back on Saturday from the repairers,
fair to say they did a decent job, I have no idea if they repaired n sprayed the bonnet or replaced it,

my only observation, and it took me a couple of days to notice, but the bonnet is not on properly, it looks like it needs to sit downa few mil at the rear and around the front grill, if i knew how to adjust it i would do it myself, but it doesnt look easy

im supposed to be taking in tomorrow at 8 am for them to look at it,

they seem a friendly decent bunch, they wanted to come and collect it, but i lost th emini for a week so cannot afford more time,

i have taken some pics, wonder if anyone who has a UK 2016 Cooper S can check or show some photos to compare under the bonnet,

as i cannot even see how it come to a rest at the front by the grille, there are two rubber stops but it doesnt look like it even gets close to it,

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hi, I know this is an old thread but I have the exact same issue. The bonnet sits up and forward. How did you resolve this @MaDMaX** ? I've tried sending you a private message but it won't let me after just registering
Whilst you wait for @MaDMaX** to respond there is a more recent thread. Shows what was replaced and the costs for the repair of the protection system which maybe of interest to you?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts