Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
The 3-pot now delivers 168bhp and the 4-pot 215bhp.
Can we see these as the new engine specs for the next generation Cooper and Cooper S?

A 168bhp Cooper is almost a current Cooper S power.

·
Registered
272 Posts
The 3-pot now delivers 168bhp and the 4-pot 215bhp.
Can we see these as the new engine specs for the next generation Cooper and Cooper S?

A 168bhp Cooper is almost a current Cooper S power.
I wonder whether the next gen JCW will be 250-270 bhp or they will straightaway go for the 300 hp GP engine.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The iPhones are made in China, like any other smartphone today. Does that make a problem ?
I'd rather keep the production in Europe to create more work opportunities, but electric cars are a huge market in China, BMW can't ignore.

·
Registered
214 Posts
The iPhones are made in China, like any other smartphone today. Does that make a problem ?
Yes, it’s a shift of skills, finance and technology to a potentially hostile nation. At least mobile phones are relatively cheap, cars are not. Car manufactures like VW have had links and production facilities in China for over 30 years but that does not mean I wish to engage in diluting our own capacity by purchasing products from there. One of my reasons for buying a Mini was it’s made in the EU, or even better, the UK. And before you label me as a Brexiter, I am definitely not, I think the EU was good for the UK and we are now paying the price for leaving.

·
Registered
214 Posts
As manufacturing is global and cars use some generic parts e.g. the ABS control system you may find parts made in China in any manufacturers car.

I do understand that but manufacturing the entire vehicle there is short sighted and not in our longer term interests. The west has become far too dependent on cheap manufacturing from the developing nations and it is already causing us problems.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have to agree there's no real reciprocity in the economical exchange between China and the western world.
The question is: do we have to debate this on a Mini Forum ? ;)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yes, it’s a shift of skills, finance and technology to a potentially hostile nation. At least mobile phones are relatively cheap, cars are not. Car manufactures like VW have had links and production facilities in China for over 30 years but that does not mean I wish to engage in diluting our own capacity by purchasing products from there. One of my reasons for buying a Mini was it’s made in the EU, or even better, the UK. And before you label me as a Brexiter, I am definitely not, I think the EU was good for the UK and we are now paying the price for leaving.
I don’t think for one moment that building the next gen electric mini in China is anything to do with Brexit. It’s all about cost of production plus a very large Chinese market.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts