Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

So long story short, I picked up my brand new cooper back in april and noticed there was a scratch on the speedo just below the reset trip button. They said they'd sort it. After saying I could get it replaced anywhere, they then denied authorisation for the replacement when I took it to stephen james and when I phone up to ask why, they said they needed it to be back in hampshire to sort it.

Anyway, they've replaced the speedo, delivered it back to me and it had the same scratch on it (on top of crashing my car into a plant pot). The car went back to them and the manager said it's on every one of his minis in his showroom (I think he's taking the piss) and that he's not willing to replace it again after they've taken a speedo where the scratch is less visible from a showroom floor car.

My question is, do your minis have the small scratch as per the attached image, or are they having me on?

Thanks!

http://imgur.com/a/N6v99

·
Registered
9 Posts
That's not a scratch, that's a stress crack in the plastic that originates from the hole for the reset button.

It's a common problem in clear plastics (the Mac cube had them in the corners), and you might have a hard time finding one without it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I saw it on mine too but it don't bother me at all

My R56 centre glass looked like it had fry drop stains inside

But I really did not care

I rather have that than have my car taken apart by the dealer intern

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Well, if you never reset the trip odo this shouldn't be a problem right? I've never reset mine yet...lol! Might just leave it as it left the factory now! ;-)

·
Registered
159 Posts
As said before its normal and its not a crack.

The plastic is moulded with the hole included in the tooling, so not added later. A small pin in the tool provides the hole for the reset knob.

The clear plastic is probably injected from the top of the part; it hits the pin and flows around it to form the hole. Therefore two moulten plastic 'arms' have to join on the other side of the pin. Its never completely perfect but can be minimised by controlling thigs like flow rate and temperature. Never really noticable on opaque plastic parts but on clear plastic parts the options to change moulding parameters are more limited because the visible distortions in the whole plastic lens have to be almost non existant. The maker seems to have done a good job to get it under the knob so its even less visible.

In the past i had responsibility for plastic mouldings on automotive instruments, but a long time ago now!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.