1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone.

Just bought an 2007 mini cooper (R56)

Both key fobs are dead

Wont open or close the doors but will start the car and turn the alarm off.

I've read the key fobs are sealed and it looks like a new key is required. However I am concerned that should I get a replacement fob it will drain just like the other 2.

Is there something that can be checked on the car to see if it faulty and not charging

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,750 Posts
Yours is an r series. It SHOULD definitely recharge the key when driving but you have to be driving, but you'll get far more help on an r series from .This is for the f series and its keys are simple batteries that do need replacing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comments.

Apologies. I must have been using my phone without my glasses when I joined this group as It wasnt until later that i realised i had posted in the wrong model group.

I looked to delete the post but was unable.

Apologies again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hope I have found a solution which may be of use to rhe group anyway (appreciate F series have a battery) but I guess most members will have other cars from other brands.

I have sent one of the fobs off to a chap in London called Key Fob repairs.co.uk

He claims to open the sealed key fob and remove the inner parts and place them into a new unit and return it working in the post.
.will be interesting to see if it solves my problem.

for £35 I thought I would take the risk.

He covers other car brands too so will update here with the result when I get the key fob back.

Kind regards

·
Super Moderator
8,750 Posts
Brilliant thank you and reasonable. At nearly 8 years old I think ours could be expected to be on the way out in the near future. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hope I have found a solution which may be of use to rhe group anyway (appreciate F series have a battery) but I guess most members will have other cars from other brands.

I have sent one of the fobs off to a chap in London called Key Fob repairs.co.uk

He claims to open the sealed key fob and remove the inner parts and place them into a new unit and return it working in the post.
.will be interesting to see if it solves my problem.

for £35 I thought I would take the risk.

He covers other car brands too so will update here with the result when I get the key fob back.

Kind regards

Hi, did you use the service? I have a similar problem with one of my keys so was wanting to know if it worked for you before I send my key off. Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
as to the original question how do you know if the key fob is being charging once inserted in the ignition and driving the car, 2009 Mini, is there way to check that the charging mechaism is working beside just keep driving. as it has a been a few days and the remote door lock and unlock function are still not working in the new fob i just purchased for 270. 00

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Hi @david1schieber, if the battery in the key fob no longer charges there would be an alert on the display that’s located in the tachometer cluster.

The battery is replaceable and I believe if you purchase a new key fob it may need to be programmed.

If both fobs were programmed and the same issue continues with it not functioning there may be another issue with the MINI.

Font Line Material property Camera lens Screenshot

Product Camera lens Font Material property Cameras & optics

Also refer to the R Series forums for additional help/troubleshooting. This forum is dedicated to the F Series MINIs.

I hope this helps 😃. Rich

1 - 10 of 10 Posts