Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry guys just read they will be pulling out you rear side panels soon!!

What about European versions.....are your regulations stricter or don't we matter to Mini??

Just thought they will be adding extra weight:(

·
Registered
91 Posts
Official Statement: BMW recently has informed NHTSA of the company’s intention to expand a previous safety recall filed in December 2014 to include additional Model Year 2014-2015 MINI Hardtop 2 Door Cooper and Cooper S as well as Model Year 2015 John Cooper Works vehicles produced from December 2013 through March 2015.
The affected vehicles may marginally exceed a side impact performance requirement. Rear seat passengers in affected vehicles could be at a slightly higher risk of injury after a severe side impact.
Owners and lessees of affected vehicles will receive a letter via First Class mail asking them to schedule an appointment with their authorized MINI dealer where additional energy absorbing material will be added between the vehicle’s rear interior side panel and the body.
The company is unaware of any accidents or injuries related to this issue.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Ugh! :-(

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
This F56 really was a botched job wasn't it ...... door seals, oil housings, gearboxes, now this. When will it end.......

I dinna really fancy them hauling off the inside panels - more rattles and squeaks! FFS........

Reactions: johnan

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Wednesday, July 29, 2015 09:22AM
DETROIT -- Mini is recalling about 35,000 cars in the U.S. and Canada because they don't meet side-impact crash-test requirements.

The recall includes certain Cooper and Cooper S Hardtop two-door cars from 2014 and 2015, as well as the 2015 John Cooper Works Hardtop two-door.

The company owned by BMW says that if crash-test requirements aren't met, rear-seat passengers could have a higher risk of injury.

Dealers will install more energy absorption material between the rear interior side panels and the body starting Sept. 12.

The company says in documents filed with U.S. safety regulators that it knows of no crashes or injuries from the problem.

The recall includes 30,456 cars in the U.S. and another 4,130 in Canada.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I agree Donna I don't want them pulling the sides off. Imo plastics never go back quite without breakage or scratch. I'd heard this was a USA only thing however. Are we getting it too?
Could not agree more , but having been in the trade many moons ago I can assure you some can do it right and put it back the way it was, but looking at the scratches on my arches when splitters fitted and scratches on down side of seat luckily not very visible but not worth moaing about as will likely be worse if got a new one.
The problem being just like trying to fit my key cap its never easy with plastic clips lets hope I can avoid this as 2016 model

·
Registered
122 Posts
This F56 really was a botched job wasn't it ...... door seals, oil housings, gearboxes, now this. When will it end.......

I dinna really fancy them hauling off the inside panels - more rattles and squeaks! FFS........
Try: shock absorbers, exhaust, drivers window/seals, electric folding mirror, USB port, seat covers badly fitted, paint rub. I still have a problem with the door, and that has been going on for months. Offered a new replacement petrol cooper at less than cost, but prefer the strength of my diesel. So in the end got an extra year warranty due to all the issues. The summary for my car is that out of ten months, it has been problem free for 1 month

·
Registered
608 Posts
Try: shock absorbers, exhaust, drivers window/seals, electric folding mirror, USB port, seat covers badly fitted, paint rub. I still have a problem with the door, and that has been going on for months. Offered a new replacement petrol cooper at less than cost, but prefer the strength of my diesel. So in the end got an extra year warranty due to all the issues. The summary for my car is that out of ten months, it has been problem free for 1 month
This is a shame, yet this problem is a unique one to MINI. A colleague of mine had worse problems with a new Bentley, I returned a Mercedes E-Class a few years ago and my wife returned a Smart Roadster Brabus. I know of many more from "lesser" makers (Colleague had a rear suspension disintegrate on a 3 month old Kia at 70mph). Manufacturing and development of new products will never be 100%

Sometimes the old addage of the "Friday Afternoon Car" is still true today even with robotic builds...

·
Super Moderator
8,749 Posts
Yes nightmare for you souper but as Hubert says many manufacturers suffer the same these days due the increasing complexity of cars. Very frustrating though. Suzuki had to delay sales of all their new celerio due to brake failure discovered by a car mag! Auto express had to give their Audi tt Back due electric faults they had to admit they couldn't fix. Doesn't really help you if you're affected though.

So far I've had the chrome door key cover fall off the door handle .the inside cover on passenger door fall off and have filmed the door jamb to prevent paint rub. Very very happy with the car but we have a new Dacia duster 4x4 £11495 otr which has been in for a software update and nothing has fallen off. Do the maths . Mind you no stereo in it!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
The original post said this "fix" applied to cars made through March 2015. So, this may not apply to cars some of us just received with build date in June or later. Either way, I'd have to know a ton more before they touch my car....that probably ain't gonna happen! I just went through having the door sill plates replaced.....tearing off the rear panels inside the cabin?..or drilling into the steel to insert some "foam or such thing"? NOPE, not gonna happen!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Just had a chat with my dealer who called for a check up.

No recall for UK/EU/Anywhere else other than US. Says its 'bs'

Claims US Authorities really hard on european cars generally, ironic considering the deaths caused by defects in US made cars.. (DON'T shoot the messenger)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.