Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there, 
I am new to this site and hope some of you could shed some light on the reliability or existing issues on the F56 model. I am pondering either to get a 1.5 standard 3 door or the Cooper S but what's keeping me up at night is how reliable are these 2 models. 

Please read the long term review of a F56 Cooper S 2014 model. at : carandriver (website) 2014-mini-cooper-s-hardtop-long-term-test-wrap-up

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Roger, welcome to the forum. My F56 (2015) now has 18K on the clock (16 month) and the little 1.5 liter 3 banger is a delight to drive if torque and 0 to 60 is not your main goal. Love the engine great pick up and go and I am really happy with the car. In the 16 month I had absolutely no problems at all besides the smelly A/C and that has been now taken care off too. There was 1 recall on the car a rear corner impact foam needed to be installed per BMW/Mini. My Dealer had me in and out in 2 hours. The car is running like a Swiss Clock. The only honest advice I can give you drive the 1.5 the MCS manual transmission and automatic and find a Mini that will fit your needs. Some of the horror stories that have been floating around from the 1st and 2 Gen do not apply to the 3rd Gen. Bmw has done it,s homework and built a car that is fun too drive and very very trouble free. Hope that helps a little. I be sure the 2014 model had some hick ups since it was a brand new car and you have to expect some minor problems mine has been fantastic. A great car for $$$ and yes I will buy another Mini in the future.

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Hi Roger early cars had a few issues that really do seem to have been ironed out. As far as i am aware:

The cooper has had NO major issues. There was a recall for the oil filter housing on a few early cars and a seat back recall affected a number of 2014models whereby it didn't always reengage when moved.

Coopers s models of a certain 2014 era needed new engines due to faulty bearing installation. Faulty batch of engines and should be an isolated incident.

Common to both, 3 doors, the door seal was too abrasive and damaged paint in some cases. Should now be sorted .
Rear shock absorbers could get noisy in similar era cars and should have been replaced by dealers but only the fixed standard suspension not the adaptive.

Some complaints of difficulties with Bluetooth connections with some makes of phone but mostly software (of car or phone Or operator) problems.
Lots of issues or questions on here by people who don't read manuals(sorry folks but true).

Everything else seems to be isolated component or software failure that affect the odd car that would seem to be pretty much the norm when producing an enormously complex hi tech vehicle at a very good price. I would say so far they seem very reliable. I've had new door seals and new rear shocks in 15,000 wonderful miles. Great cars.
Hope that helps. Are you a Roger I may know?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have a mid-2014 Cooper (1.5 litre) manual, UK 3-door, absolutely no issues other than a minor 'rough plastic-rubbing' noise from the steering wheel easliy corrected by the dealer at 12 months.

Interior trim and seats fine with nothing loose or rattling.
Same with suspension and steering - fault free.
The engine is a joy - a real plus point for the model (I had doubts about the three cylinder but its far better than I hoped for and a main reason for buying this model).
Transmission (manual) good and precise if a bit 'tight' when new.
Paint finish is excellent, the best I have found, if a little lacking in thickness for my preference.

Regarding the long term-test issues: No arm-rest or run-flat tyres on my car and I also selected the opitions carefully as the cost can soon escalate to worrying levels. Also in my area the road conditions are fairly bad with many pot-holes and rough surfaces; the MINI Cooper deals with them with no problem. If the 'Car and Driver' experiences were actually common-place then I guess there would be a lot more exposure in the press generally. From some other comments I have read, I guess run-flats are a lot stiffer particularly in the larger wheel sizes.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Another 1.5 3 cylinder owner and a great engine :)

I have 17 inch wheels on mine but not the dreaded runflats so ride is ok on the rough roads and cornering very good :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies, very much appreciated. I feel so much comfortable now with the F56. I am leaning towards a MCS (auto) since the number of standard options it comes with compared to a 1.5 model. By the time I add on the sport seats, led lights, navigation package, 17" rims, climate control (standard on MCS) on the 1.5 the price difference is not that much. The only concern is the ride of the MCS might be much stiffer because it is set up differently? Not sure if the adaptive suspension is going to help to soften the ride.

Btw, I am based in Sydney Australia, mate :)

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Roger, the MCS might be your better buy. I built a 1.5 and an S the other day just for the fun of it with all the options I wanted there was only $ 1000.00 difference for the S. So I agree with you statement. Since a lot of standard options dropped off on the 2016 (what is a shame but I guess Mini needed a cheaper model for the budget minded buyer) the S might be the way to go.

·
Registered
763 Posts
The only concern is the ride of the MCS might be much stiffer because it is set up differently? Not sure if the adaptive suspension is going to help to soften the ride.
Suspension options are the same for the Cooper and the Cooper S so the two will ride much the same when similarly spec'd. MINIs tend to ride stiffer than other cars anyway but either stock or DDC with 17" wheels the ride isn't uncomfortable at all. Adaptive suspension will soften the ride somewhat but only in Green Mode.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Suspension options are the same for the Cooper and the Cooper S so the two will ride much the same when similarly spec'd. MINIs tend to ride stiffer than other cars anyway but either stock or DDC with 17" wheels the ride isn't uncomfortable at all. Adaptive suspension will soften the ride somewhat but only in Green Mode.

Yeah DDC and 17s is the way to go! I live in Mexico and even with our awful streets it's suitable for the day to day.

Actually the suspension is stiffened +10% in sport mode and softened -10% in Eco and mid

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Sorry Roger just thought you might a uk Roger i know who's buying one .interesting re prices and options but try the 1.5 i bought it because I preferred the engine and economy and running costs. a geat enginr and £1000 for extra . for a ecent ride avoid runflats. Th arm rest comments are stupid. It moves down to access the i drive or up out of the way . another case of read the manual!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for all the replies, very much appreciated. I feel so much comfortable now with the F56. I am leaning towards a MCS (auto) since the number of standard options it comes with compared to a 1.5 model. By the time I add on the sport seats, led lights, navigation package, 17" rims, climate control (standard on MCS) on the 1.5 the price difference is not that much. The only concern is the ride of the MCS might be much stiffer because it is set up differently? Not sure if the adaptive suspension is going to help to soften the ride.

Btw, I am based in Sydney Australia, mate :)
Did you end up buying a Cooper? I'm in Melbourne and currently looking at a cooper.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had quite a lot of trouble with mine, new September 2014. It actually broke down on day one due to an engine overheat. It spent 2 weeks back at the dealership whilst they looked into it. Since then I've had stalling issues when in 'green' mode (its an automatic) - they can't solve this, so I just don't drive in green anymore. More recently failed tyre pressure sensor which its taken the dealers a few attempts to find the actual fault and deal with. The parking sensors occasionally go haywire when the car is stationery. All in I'm not impressed!!!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Another perfectly happy 1.5 Cooper owner here.

More than quick enough, efficient, well balanced.

No reliability issues other than those teething ones already mentioned.

A gem.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I've had quite a lot of trouble with mine, new September 2014. It actually broke down on day one due to an engine overheat. It spent 2 weeks back at the dealership whilst they looked into it. Since then I've had stalling issues when in 'green' mode (its an automatic) - they can't solve this, so I just don't drive in green anymore. More recently failed tyre pressure sensor which its taken the dealers a few attempts to find the actual fault and deal with. The parking sensors occasionally go haywire when the car is stationery. All in I'm not impressed!!!
Is that a Cooper or an S?

·
Registered
494 Posts
I am very happy with this 3rd Gen design.
BMW did a FABULOUS job in the design, quality
fit and finish with their oversight.....the engine is now BMW
that can be found in the X1 apparently. This iteration is a dream
to drive. No quality issues here. Just a fabulous gem to drive.
Just have to caution you, when you drive this baby, it is very hard
to wipe a smile off of your face.....:)

·
Registered
174 Posts
2000 miles in a JCW Convertible and no issues. Just not fast enough at times in Germay - struggled against an RS4 the other day at 120-130 and up!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts