Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put my order in and have included the Media XL.

I had a play around with it in the showroom and noticed there seemed to be the hardware button on the unit for traffic info. I'm assuming this is RDS-TMC traffic?

I know that Mini have "Journey Mate" within the connected XL and it mentions "Real Time Traffic Information" in the demo video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkDCF0YbTTc

Can anyone confirm that we get RTTI in the UK or are we stuck with RDS-TMC? I can only seem to see reference to RTTI in Germany.

Thanks!

Graeme

·
Super Moderator
7,894 Posts
Not sure what we get but when it knows it's busy a car symbol comes up. Amber for me so far. Seems quite good but assume it's rds based?

·
Registered
441 Posts
That button activates RDS-TP (Traffic Programme) on the radio - local station traffic bulletins interrupt normal music.

The sat nav itself has a traffic functionality (one of the icons on the left)

You can set the split screen to give traffic information on the right hand side I believe.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah ok. I thought perhaps the hardware button on the unit was to activate RDS-TMC traffic data and there was a 'TP' function somewhere in the radio menu to activate the broadcast of traffic bulletins.

Presumably the Nav will use RDS-TMC when there is no cell/data connection (via phone) or does it use the on-board SIM for the RTTI all the times? I did read the car has a SIM card on board and that this is subscribed to for the first 36 months so I did kinda think it had BMW's RTTI too. Mini Connected Information

Will be interesting to see how it compares to my TomTom HD unit!

·
Registered
441 Posts
The onboard roaming sim is part of the telematics option (remote services) which attracts a monthly fee. Not sure where the nav sources traffic data from but I suspect it's rds tmc

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just to update my own post I guess..lol. But I suspect others may have similar queries.

Picked my car up on Friday, and for reasons outwith my control managed to clock up 25 or so miles before it was returned to dealer.

It does indeed seem the standard Nav system option uses RDS-TMC for the navigation data.

However, when I planned a route with the JourneyMate app, and loaded the traffic radar, the information appears to be the BMW RTTI traffic data and therefore more accurate than the standard TMC.

I guess if you want the more detailed traffic data, you've got to program routes via the JourneyMate app first and ensure it remains connected via USB throughout. If your happy with RDS-TMC data, go straight via the on-board nav.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Not sure how it works over there, but the US it uses RTTI, which comes in via radio waves. Refreshes every 6-10 minutes, I believe.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not sure how it works over there, but the US it uses RTTI, which comes in via radio waves. Refreshes every 6-10 minutes, I believe.

Then what symbol is shown in the bottom right of the screen while navigating? On my XL screen is just shows TMC. Which means it just shows traffic jams on highways. I'd love to see the much more granular traffic info that the HERE App shows on my iPhone. (The former Nokia HERE company was bought this summer by BMW/Daimler, so this should be feasible).

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts