Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/scoop/new-five-door-mini-launch-end-year

Autocar said:
BMW expects the new five-door Mini hatchback to significantly outsell the three-door model when it launches in the fourth quarter of this year.

Company officials say that if the new Mini follows the same sales path as other hatchbacks, the five-door variant could outsell the three-door by a factor of three to one soon after its launch.

These latest spy shots show the five-door Mini is now nearing its final stages of development, with this mule wearing significantly less camouflage than previous models. The five-door Mini sits on the same platform as the updated Clubman, which is due to go on sale at the start of next year.

While the two cars share the same wheelbase, which is longer than that of the three-door, the five-door model has shorter front doors in order to accommodate an extra pair of doors at the rear.

Styling wise, the five-door Mini is almost identical to its three-door sister car, which goes on sale in March. The addition of centre-mounted twin exhausts and a bonnet scoop to this test mule suggest this is the sportier Cooper S model.

Five-door Minis will borrow their engines directly from the three-door. That means a 1.5-litre three-cylinder petrol with 134bhp and 162lb ft of torque in the standard Cooper, while Cooper D variants will get a 1.5-litre three-cylinder diesel with 114bhp and 199lb ft. Top-end Cooper S models will feature a 2.0-litre four-cylinder petrol engine with 189bhp and 206lb ft.

A six-speed manual transmission will come as standard on the front-wheel-drive car, while a six-speed automatic will be optional on all models.

Mini has yet to confirm official pricing, but the five-door hatchback is expected to command a small premium over the equivalent three-door model, which starts at £15,300.

The three and five-door Mini hatchbacks will be joined by a new cabriolet model, due in September, as well as updated versions of the Countryman and Paceman in 2016.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bumping this to the top, now that we've seen the F55.

I'm not so sure about the F55 outselling the F56 by a 3 to 1 margin...

·
Registered
998 Posts
in some markets maybe, i would expect the UK market to stick with the 3 door.

Makes you wonder where some of these models are intended to sit though;
std 3 door hatch
3 door paceman
coupe

std 5 door hatch
clubman
countryman

4 seat cabrio
2 seat roadster

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Was chatting to our sales guy about the 5 door at the F56 launch and he was saying that they have a lot of customers that don't want a 3 doo, but don't want a Countryman either. He thinks the five door will do well.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I would have one!! I'm thinking from the aspect of IF/WHEN we have kids either the MCS or Boxster GTS willl have to go (at least the MCS has an isofix point on the front seat though ..... but had the F55 had been an option I would have seriously considered it ....I'm also not too keen on the "affa big MINI" aka Countryman....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts