Mini Cooper Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Mini Electric level 2 - 2021
591 Posts
Good to know in some ways that you've not experienced it. We were told the power drop is possible if the battery is too warm. It happened to the MINI when we were on the freeway, we floored the car and it couldn't keep up at 80km/h.
There should be no limitation in normal conditions.
SE UK so temperatures vary from around freezing to mid 20's (C) and I have never seen anything less than all the power bars available no matter how hard I drive it (and I do most of the time because it's so much fun).
Back to the dealer for you I'm afraid.
Let no-one tell you that display is normal.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've driven in 38C then done a 7kW charge. No bars dropped. I am certain that you either have a bad cell or a cooling issue. Your dealer should be able to diagnose the issue. If not, is there another Mini dealer you can use? Yours appears to be utterly clueless. If this is a problem you can reliably duplicate, they have no excuse for not knowing what is causing it.
Call Mini Australia and ask them where you can get this sorted out as your dealer can't do it...
Can you borrow an android phone and OBD adaptor to check battery temperature? The app is free. I found electrified worked with an eBay cheapy, but dropped the connection once it has grabbed the info. A well timed screenshot is my workaround...

·
Registered
2023 Mini Cooper SE, 2012 Mini Cooper S
23 Posts
'electrified' app is android only.
I have tried "car scanner" but not a fan of it, needs tons of customization.
I have tried to find an app for the ios that shows charging data such as voltage/amps/power/etc. but failed.
With 1 bar showing you are lucky the car starts, zero bars and it will not start.
I imagine driving with 1 bar must be like limp-home mode (never had less than full bars).
A Better Route Planner will show charging data if you have a compatible OBD reader.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would say that's not normal. I have also made several longer journeys and DC charging. No issues what so ever more than the drop in charging after like 85-90 % as shown i the diagram above. Since I travel along roads with plenty of chargers I rather make another stop than wait for the last slow 80 -> 100%.

·
Super Moderator
1,031 Posts
Good to know in some ways that you've not experienced it. We were told the power drop is possible if the battery is too warm. It happened to the MINI when we were on the freeway, we floored the car and it couldn't keep up at 80km/h.
When mine gets down to around 40%, I will lose 2 bars (1 around 40mph and another around 50mph) if I accelerate with my foot to the floor from anywhere below 30mph. As soon as I ease off though, the bars will return. The dealer concluded this is normal. How much charge did you have when you were on the freeway, and how many bars disappeared?

It seems like there may be an issue with your car......have you had it back to the dealer yet?

Here's my thread just in case you're interested. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
A Better Route Planner will show charging data if you have a compatible OBD reader.
Thanks. I have tried ABRP but did not like it all.

mi3 mentioned here works perfectly for me.
I have never seen an app open and connect so fast, there is absolutely no delay at all.
There are 3 tabs on the top General, EV and Charging.
I use Charging and then if I remember you click on Charging Power and it shows you a real time graph.
I imagine this app is optimized for the i3 and shows just that with zero fuss.

On the contrary ABRP is a route planner with the ability to also see live data.
App for me is slow to open, needs account creation (registration), need to add car/obd reader then locate the live data button.
But the worst the connected icon never settled it was constantly switching from connected to connecting or loading / reading (do not remember the terminology).
The graph and data is nowhere near the level of mi3

Downside of mi3 I imagine it works only with i3/MINI?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Back to my earlier comments, although mine rarely sees a DC charger I had to take Anna to Stansted again this morning, I had to take longer route than normal because or road closures so was down to 27% when I dropped her off.
It's about 14 miles from there to the Gridserve place (just outside Braintree) so I drove as hard as I could (safely of course) and got it down to 11% (lowest I've even been) and plugged in. The charger showed charging at about 47kW/hr and I stopped it at 85% (more than enough to get me home). Drove it hard as I could (where conditions allowed) and absolutely no loss of power (yellow blocks or physical) before or after the charge. Ambient air temperatures were about 11C on the way there and 18C on the way back.
It's now sitting on my 7kW AC charger waiting for it's 00:30 - 04:30 time slot

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just to update everyone that the MINI has been fixed!!!

Apparently the battery coolant valve was faulty which caused charging and power fault. I've done a long trip (700km each way) with the MINI and was all good with the fast DC charge.
So many fewer moving parts but still a $1 part can make it all go wrong. Glad to hear there was a simple fix.

·
Super Moderator
1,031 Posts
Just to update everyone that the MINI has been fixed!!!

Apparently the battery coolant valve was faulty which caused charging and power fault. I've done a long trip (700km each way) with the MINI and was all good with the fast DC charge.
Good to hear it's all fixed now. :)

I've never actually used a DC charger......may try one next week just to confirm all is well before the warranty expires in February.

Do the chargers indicate the current charge rate in kWh, or do you have to make a best guess based on percentage and charge time?

·
Super Moderator
1,031 Posts
Indeed they do (in my experience).
Many thanks. :)

We have a couple of local 50kW chargers, and I think even a 120kW (I realise it's limited to 50kW, but at least there's a few options), so I'll test it next week.

Edit: According to WattsUp, there's a couple of 50kW Osprey chargers, and also a couple of 120kW Instavolt chargers within 2 miles of my house.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Do the chargers indicate the current charge rate in kWh, or do you have to make a best guess based on percentage and charge time?
The only ones I've ever used at Braintree on my Stansted run do. Once the communication with the car is over the charger displays the rate, usually about 47 or 48 kWhr every time I've used the place.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've used an Evgo, an EA and a Chevy dealer's free ABB DC charger. They all showed charge power. Mine maxes out at 48-49kW. Close enough to 50kW. Looks like max DC charge is set by current. Power starts in high 30s if you are really low, maxes out at maybe 70%, then drops off as you near 100. The last 1% is really slow.

·
Super Moderator
1,031 Posts
I've used an Evgo, an EA and a Chevy dealer's free ABB DC charger. They all showed charge power. Mine maxes out at 48-49kW. Close enough to 50kW. Looks like max DC charge is set by current. Power starts in high 30s if you are really low, maxes out at maybe 70%, then drops off as you near 100. The last 1% is really slow.
Thanks for the detailed response...I think I'm gonna get it down to around 30-40% before I test it. I was going to try it last night, but I was only at 65% and I wanted a longer charging session to show any issues.

There's a good chance I'll never have the need to use a DC charger as I only do local journeys. This thread has prompted me to test it though, just in case it has an issue, as it'll be out of warranty in February.

·
Registered
591 Posts
.....I'll never have the need to use a DC charger as I only do local journeys
Exactly the same as me, local journeys and home charging, apart from the occasional airport run to Stansted - where I've never had a problem with the Gridserve place on the way back.
But I totally agree you should try it out before your warranty expires in case you ever have to use the DC charging in the future.

·
Super Moderator
1,031 Posts
I've just tested the DC charging at an Instavolt 120kW charger at the local McDonald's.

I did a 30ish mile trip, at mostly 70mph, to run the battery down (and heat it up) before charging. As a data point, the car's reading 10°C here today.

I took some photos of the progress during the charge. The battery was at 37% when I plugged in, and it estimated 65 mins for a full charge.

I saw the following charges rates during the charge:

41% - 34.55kW
45% - 36.08kW
48% - 38.50kW
50% - 39.92kW
55% - 43.16kW
59% - 46.29kW
61% - 47.26kW
67% - 47.01kW
73% - 48.02kW
74% - 48.16kW
76% - 48.33kW
79% - 48.95kW

At 80% it immediately started dropping into the high 30's. I stopped the charge at 81%, and the charging time was 19 minutes.

It seems to be behaving almost exactly as @Pictsidhe described, so I guess everything is working just fine. I also immediately drove away after the charge, and saw no reduction in available power.

I realise this is a long way of saying "it's working as expected", but thought I'd drop the figures in here just in case anyone's searching for info in the future.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I've just tested the DC charging at an Instavolt 120kW charger at the local McDonald's.

I did a 30ish mile trip, at mostly 70mph, to run the battery down (and heat it up) before charging. As a data point, the car's reading 10°C here today.

I took some photos of the progress during the charge. The battery was at 37% when I plugged in, and it estimated 65 mins for a full charge.

41% - 34.55kW
45% - 36.08kW
48% - 38.50kW
50% - 39.92kW
55% - 43.16kW
59% - 46.29kW
61% - 47.26kW
67% - 47.01kW
73% - 48.02kW
74% - 48.16kW
76% - 48.33kW
79% - 48.95kW

At 80% it immediately started dropping into the high 30's. I stopped the charge at 81%, and the charging time was 19 minutes.

It seems to be behaving almost exactly as @Pictsidhe described, so I guess everything is working just fine. I also immediately drove away after the charge, and saw no reduction in available power.

I realise this is a long way of saying "it's working as expected", but thought I'd drop the figures in here just in case anyone's searching for info in the future.
It’s working as expected. 😜

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·

41% - 34.55kW
45% - 36.08kW
48% - 38.50kW
50% - 39.92kW
55% - 43.16kW
59% - 46.29kW
61% - 47.26kW
67% - 47.01kW
73% - 48.02kW
74% - 48.16kW
76% - 48.33kW
79% - 48.95kW

This is pretty similar to mine ... peaked at 77-79% then drops at 80%. For longer drives, I'll usually charge to 80% and head off instead of doing a full charge (unless having a long lunch while charging!). So good to have the MINI fixed.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts