Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 F54 BMW Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
279 Posts
Looks like the love child of the original vw camper and a bubble car.

It's horrid

·
Registered
12 Posts
Seems like a decent concept to me as a social space for autonomous cars.

Not sure where all the hate is coming from, sure it’s not a MINI Cooper/Hatch, but I don’t think that’s it’s intended purpose.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Not sure where all the hate is coming from
I think it's pretty simple.
Let's talk about what defines a MINI. What did make me or you choose this car instead of the other one? Why didn't we get some Toyota or Skoda?
For me, first and foremost it's driving experience aka "fun to drive". The handling, throttle and steering response, overall nimbleness. In Russia \ Belarus the dealers don't offer many of the fun cars you can get in EU or US. There's no Civic Type-R, there's no Focus ST, there's no Megane RS. And it turns out there's NO OTHER car that can give you the same driving experience for 32.000$ as the JCW. Ok, even in EU\US the MINI is a solid competitor to other hot hatches.
Second, it's about the looks, the design. MINI has a very distinguishable design among other cars. It's fun but doesn't look like a toy at the same time.

Take both away and what remains of MINI?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think it's pretty simple.
Let's talk about what defines a MINI. What did make me or you choose this car instead of the other one? Why didn't we get some Toyota or Skoda?
For me, first and foremost it's driving experience aka "fun to drive". The handling, throttle and steering response, overall nimbleness. In Russia \ Belarus the dealers don't offer many of the fun cars you can get in EU or US. There's no Civic Type-R, there's no Focus ST, there's no Megane RS. And it turns out there's NO OTHER car that can give you the same driving experience for 32.000$ as the JCW. Ok, even in EU\US the MINI is a solid competitor to other hot hatches.
Second, it's about the looks, the design. MINI has a very distinguishable design among other cars. It's fun but doesn't look like a toy at the same time.

Take both away and what remains of MINI?
I still think you’re missing the point of the concept, its not a driving experience car...it’s got a complete different purpose, filling a market which surely huge in the future (autonomous vehicles and shared mobility). Nothing to do with our MINI hatches.
It’s using the design philosophy and applying it to an Autonomous shared space concept.

Do people of the original MINI think our latest gen is a proper MINI? One might argue it’s simply a badge and nothing like the original.

Surely expanding the range to make money (get more customers), ensures they continue to make cars that perhaps are a dying breed (fun involving cars) is a good thing?
For example Porsche with the Cayenne. I won’t ever buy a Cayenne, but certainly a lot of people do.

I like the funky styling and quirky interior, it’s interesting to me at least, and still feels a MINI in that respect.
Horses for courses. Not saying I will ever buy one of these, but I can understand why they’ve done it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts