Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Well that kinda stinks. The worry free was a big selling point for me when I bought my Mini. Sure Brake Pads Wipers etc etc are cheap but the clutch can get expensive. That was the reason I went with a Mini because the Pressure Plate on my 2012 Abarth went out with 18K on the clock and Fiat wanted $ 2K for the repair and would not cover there faulty part.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe they are following industry trends in the US. Chevrolet downgraded the warranty on the Corvette C7 as well. Capitalism at its finest! I can't/don't blame them, whatever the markets will accept, but from the consumer standpoint higher prices and lower warranties for goods and services stinks. If sales drop they will revert to attract customers.

·
Super Moderator
8,749 Posts
Gosh, these are generally considered wear and tear items-although of course a clutch can be faulty usually early wear is due to poor driving ie riding the clutch! If this is what you get in the usa try the uk! We pay for our maintenance contract-£299 for 5 years or 50k miles, but it has never ever covered wear and tear items; it simply covers oil, filters, one set spark plugs and a brake fluid change! You lot are on to a good thing i reckon!(still!). I presume your warranty is unaffected; what do you get-we get 3 years in the uk! ?

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
We get 3 years 36k Miles what ever comes 1st. As far as the clutch no riding the pedal here got 1 000 000 Miles under my belt in the Semi and drove sticks all my life. On my Abarth FCA blamed me for it. Customer Service told me it was my fault since I do not know how to drive a stick. Talking about awesome Customer Service. I drove the Barth straight to the Mini Dealer and traded the car in.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I'm assuming that won't affect those of us who "purchased" the extended drive train warranty, like me, up to 7 years or 70,000 miles!

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
MINI Malaysia cars – now with four years unlimited mileage warranty and 60,000 km free service package

Following last year’s BMW Malaysia warranty upgrade to five years with unlimited mileage, MINI Malaysia cars registered from January 1, 2016 will now enjoy four years unlimited mileage warranty.

This is a big upgrade from MINI’s previous two year unlimited mileage warranty, which was upgradable to 3 years or 50,000 km with the MINI Service Inclusive FIX package. Cars registered before 2016 will continue to have the previous warranty program applicable.

MINI owners will also get a four year or 60,000 km free service package based on MINI’s Condition-Based Service schedule which includes engine oil, air filter, micro filter, spark plugs and brake fluids.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Not surprising - BMW hasn't had transferable maintenance plans either and now neither of them include as much, though the fact they still offer them at all is better than many manufacturers. Also keep in mind, this does not affect WARRANTY coverage, just some of the scheduled maintenance items.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yeah I think it's worth noting (as others pointed out) this is the maintenanceagreement, not warranty. While the wiper blades are a bit weird, they mostly likely removed the brake items because, for at least the standard (free) maintenance package, most people probably don't need brake jobs within 3-years/36K miles (could be totally wrong here) . I know a lot of other manufactures with a maintenance plan don't include brakes, just oil change and tire rotation.

That is the one thing that always got me, why aren't tire rotations included in the no-hassle maintenance. I know its a pretty easy thing, but still.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Big downer. We're about to order and the reduction of content is a concerning trend. One of the quirky items we really liked in the Mini was the secret compartment. Gone for 2016. Now boot to bonnet maintenance that sounded so great is being watered down. Not liking the trend here.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
The UK warranty have never included consumables such as pads, but disks and clutches are a different matter. My first Mini, a 2009 R56 MCS started slipping it's clutch at 12k and Mini replaced it, and the flywheel that had cracked under warranty. Brake disks could be "wear & tear" if you do a lot of track days or drive hard a lot of the time. I've never had to replace pads or disks on any of my Mini's, but then I don't keep them long enough :)

·
Registered
495 Posts
Not a huge deal.
the current free 3 yr maintenance never covered wear and tare issues.
Never had an issue with any of these items being a defect, others I am sure have
but only a very small minute number.

• Brake pads
  • Brake discs
  • Wiper baldes
  • Engine drive belts
  • MT clutches

·
Registered
406 Posts
Man that stinks!

I will never get to experience the joy of worry free MINI ownership. I am living in Italy and have a US spec MINI. The warranty program is not honored here in Italy and the only program I take advantage of is the regular warranty program other US car companies offer (e.g. regular warranty coverage). I was planning on trading up when I got back to the states with the positive equity in my current car. So much for those plans I guess.

This is, to me, not a smart move on their part, because it was a huge selling point of the vehicles.

Reactions: KYDan
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.