Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the process of ordering my new MINI F55 I came upon a number of issues with the MINIUSA configurator - missing options, wrong information, wrong MSRPs. For people considering ordering a MINI I thought I would share my experiences - and hoped others might add other things I missed. The entries below apply to the Cooper S Hardtop 4-door.

1) The 6-speed Automatic with Shift Paddles [2TB] can be chosen with either the JCW Steering Wheel [2XC] OR MINI Yours Steering Wheel [2XB] - NOT just the JCW.

2) There IS a Garage Door Opener option [319]. It requires the Autodimming rearview mirror [431]

3) There IS an Active Driving Assistant option [5AS]. I didn't know about it when I placed my order so I'm not certain about the requirements - Kelley Blue Book lists Fully Loaded [ZFL] and Wired Upgrade [ZWU] OR Park Assistant Pkg [5DU] while Motor Trend lists [ZFL] and [ZWU].

4) Though the configurator doesn't mention it the MINI Yours interior styles [4G1], [4G2], or [4G3] add a lighted door bezel.

5) Though the configurator doesn't mention it the Alarm System [302] is necessary to get the MINI to chirp when you lock it.

6) As I played with the configurator choosing different options and packages I found I could would occasionally get different MSRPs if I chose options before packages. If you go left to right across the tabs you get the same price your dealer will charge.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Sounds like it is in flux again. I ran into similar issues for a couple weeks back when I was configuring mine... options there, then not there, slightly different prices (and then a big ol price increase on a few items), and there's always been a lack of full documentation. It stablized right after I ordered my car, but fortunately I got the price from one of the earlier cars I'd configured and saved before the prices of some of my options went up. The down side is that an option I would have liked (but was bundled as part of something I didn't really want) became available as a stand alone well after they started bending metal on my car. It's an... interesting system

·
Registered
101 Posts
In the process of ordering my new MINI F55 I came upon a number of issues with the MINIUSA configurator - missing options, wrong information, wrong MSRPs. For people considering ordering a MINI I thought I would share my experiences - and hoped others might add other things I missed. The entries below apply to the Cooper S Hardtop 4-door.

1) The 6-speed Automatic with Shift Paddles [2TB] can be chosen with either the JCW Steering Wheel [2XC] OR MINI Yours Steering Wheel [2XB] - NOT just the JCW.

I think this issue is because the mini yours steering wheel was a later addition (sept 2015) and they did not set the configurator up correctly. You are correct you can get either one.

2) There IS a Garage Door Opener option [319]. It requires the Autodimming rearview mirror [431]

This used to be on the configurator, but it dropped off when they updated it again in the spring to add the mini yours lounge leather option. It is still available and you are correct it requires the autodimming mirror. It also adds a compass to the mirror.

3) There IS an Active Driving Assistant option [5AS]. I didn't know about it when I placed my order so I'm not certain about the requirements - Kelley Blue Book lists Fully Loaded [ZFL] and Wired Upgrade [ZWU] OR Park Assistant Pkg [5DU] while Motor Trend lists [ZFL] and [ZWU].

This has never been on the configurator for some reason. I think it was because it was a late introduction (sept 2015) and it is a low volume option. You need to order fully loaded, and park assistant packages on the base and S, but it can be ordered as a stand alone option on the JCW just like in UK.

4) Though the configurator doesn't mention it the MINI Yours interior styles [4G1], [4G2], or [4G3] add a lighted door bezel.

Yes, this has been quite a discussion. I'm surprised it is not indicated. Also, you cannot get the flash package or chrome line interior if you order the white interior package because there are white trim pieces where the chrome would go. This is not documented anywhere.

5) Though the configurator doesn't mention it the Alarm System [302] is necessary to get the MINI to chirp when you lock it.

I mean this is something that is never documented, not even for BMWs (which shares the same alarm system). I would not expect to see it on there. The alarm also adds the small flashing indicator under the mirror and the tilt and motion sensors which is not documented either.

6) As I played with the configurator choosing different options and packages I found I could would occasionally get different MSRPs if I chose options before packages. If you go left to right across the tabs you get the same price your dealer will charge.

This is a glitch in the algorithm. Also, if you add the wired upgrade to the fully loaded package, it is really $850, not $1350 as indicated. So the pricing is not really correct. The best place to see the prices is a place like truecar, or autoblog buy, where you can select the factory options (very precise with invoice pricing as well).

I also noticed that you can no longer order the park assistant package with the wired upgrade package because it says there is a conflict (which is not true because you can get those two packages together).

·
Registered
101 Posts
Sounds like it is in flux again. I ran into similar issues for a couple weeks back when I was configuring mine... options there, then not there, slightly different prices (and then a big ol price increase on a few items), and there's always been a lack of full documentation. It stablized right after I ordered my car, but fortunately I got the price from one of the earlier cars I'd configured and saved before the prices of some of my options went up. The down side is that an option I would have liked (but was bundled as part of something I didn't really want) became available as a stand alone well after they started bending metal on my car. It's an... interesting system
I'm not sure which options you're referencing becoming available as stand alones. The configurator was never an accurate representation of the options and these are the only changes that have occurred this year:

June 2014 (2015 Model Year):
Addition of Electric Blue Exterior Color
Addition of Chili Red Exterior Color (requires JCW exterior pkg)
Addition of JCW exterior pkg (jcw body kit, spoiler, jcw rims, performance control on base)
Standard Auto Climate (previously in premium pkg)
Standard Auto lights/rain sensor (previously in premium pkg)
Comfort Access added to Premium Pkg (still available as a stand alone)
Storage Pkg added to Premium Pkg (still available as a stand alone)
Addition of Fibre Alloy Mini Yours Interior option
Addition of Roof Rails option

Changes Sept 2014:
Addition of Mini Yours Steering Wheel option
Addition of Mini Yours LapisLuxury Blue Exterior Color
Addition of Mini Yours 18" Vanity Rims
Addition of Active Driving Assistant option (camera based auto high beams, forward collision warn with pedestrian detection, adaptive cruise, road sign recognition)

Changes Feb 2015:
Addition of Mini Yours Black Lounge Leather Interior
Option to order sport package without sport seats for base model

Other than those changes, nothing has changed to the ordering system (including any prices)

·
Registered
505 Posts
Well, for one thing the price shown in the configurator for the side scuttles I ordered rose between January 2015 and April 2015. Bike rack prep was not an option at the time I did my configuration as part of "Exterior Details", nor were some of the JCW wheel options currently available, shown back then. I'm also pretty sure some of the JCW options available were part of JCW packages only at that time, but I could be wrong on that one.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well, for one thing the price shown in the configurator for the side scuttles I ordered rose between January 2015 and April 2015. Bike rack prep was not an option at the time I did my configuration as part of "Exterior Details", nor were some of the JCW wheel options currently available, shown back then. I'm also pretty sure some of the JCW options available were part of JCW packages only at that time, but I could be wrong on that one.
Remember that side scuttles are not an option, but a PIO (accessory) so the pricing varies based on the installation costs and availability.

Bike rack prep has been on the order guide since the introduction of the 2015 model year (June 2014). It used to be standard in 2014, but they started charging for it and all it is is the addition of the installation hooks behind the tow hook covers. It was not initially on the configurator but it was always in the ordering system.

The JCW wheel options became available once the JCW exterior package became available (and are only available if you order that pkg) They were just not on the configurator.

The only other JCW options would be the JCW carbon mirrors, which are now technically an option from the factory (although they may as well be an accessory since they are not installed until at port).

Having said all that, I can understand your frustration. I don't see why it should be so hard to update the configurator. The UK configurator is spot-on (and has nearly all the same options with only a few additions and changes to package names)

·
Registered
505 Posts
Right on - and that was exactly my point about the configurator being in flux. Not that you couldn't order the stuff. As you've amply demonstrated, there were options out there you could order... whether you knew they even existed could be another story. I'm just happy I got everything I wanted on my car (and that I got charged the original price from the configurator on my side scuttles).

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right on - and that was exactly my point about the configurator being in flux. Not that you couldn't order the stuff. As you've amply demonstrated, there were options out there you could order... whether you knew they even existed could be another story. I'm just happy I got everything I wanted on my car (and that I got charged the original price from the configurator on my side scuttles).
It's why I started this thread - ordering your car shouldn't be a game of blind man's buff. My salesrep mentioned the Garage Door Opener so I knew about it and ordered it...but the rest I learned on the forums...mostly after I went into production. As it turned out, I too ended up ordering everything I wanted...but it was blind luck.

Reactions: Tiger

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
It's why I started this thread - ordering your car shouldn't be a game of blind man's buff. My salesrep mentioned the Garage Door Opener so I knew about it and ordered it...but the rest I learned on the forums...mostly after I went into production. As it turned out, I too ended up ordering everything I wanted...but it was blind luck.
Just had to laugh...I just posted in another thread near to this one about the Leather Punch Black Sport Seats...I'm trying to decide between three sport seats and there just is NO detailed information on the configurator (or at the dealer) about dimensions, and other such specifications. If I order the optional $1,950 seats that I'm considering, I'm flying totally blind...dealer doesn't have any, and I have no dimensions, etc.

Reactions: Tiger

·
Registered
101 Posts
Just had to laugh...I just posted in another thread near to this one about the Leather Punch Black Sport Seats...I'm trying to decide between three sport seats and there just is NO detailed information on the configurator (or at the dealer) about dimensions, and other such specifications. If I order the optional $1,950 seats that I'm considering, I'm flying totally blind...dealer doesn't have any, and I have no dimensions, etc.

There are 3 seat types:
1] Standard
Only available on base and only available in leatherette
2] Sport $300 on Base (or part of sport pkg), Standard on S and JCW
Adds seat back pockets (even without storage package) and has adjustable thigh support
3] Recaro
Only available on JCW

There are 7 fabric types:
1] Leatherette (Carbon Black)

Must order sport seats to get the options below:
2] Cloth (Double Stripe Carbon Black)
Only available with JCW interior package
3] Cloth/Leatherette (Black Pearl) $750
4] Cloth/Leather (Diamond Black, Diamond Gray) $750
5] Dinamica (JCW Reacro Seats) $1950
Only available on JCW
6] Cross Leather (Punch Black, Dark Truffle) $1500
Adds manual lumbar support
7] Lounge Leather (Carbon Black, Satellite Gray) $1750 ($2250 for black)

Your seats should only be $1850 ($1500 for cross leather plus $300 for sport seats) if you are getting cross leather with sport seats. Or $1500 if you are ordering the sport package (where sport seats are standard) assuming you are getting a base and not an S or JCW

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
There are 3 seat types:
1] Standard
Adds seat back pockets (even without storage package) and has adjustable thigh support
3] Recaro
Only available on JCW

There are 7 fabric types:
1] Leatherette (Carbon Black)

Must order sport seats to get the options below:
2] Cloth (Double Stripe Carbon Black)
Only available with JCW interior package
3] Cloth/Leatherette (Black Pearl) $750
4] Cloth/Leather (Diamond Black, Diamond Gray) $750
5] Dinamica (JCW Reacro Seats) $1950
Only available on JCW
6] Cross Leather (Punch Black, Dark Truffle) $1500
7] Lounge Leather (Carbon Black, Satellite Gray) $1750 ($2250 for black)

Your seats should only be $1850 ($1500 for cross leather plus $300 for sport seats) if you are getting cross leather with sport seats. Or $1500 if you are ordering the sport package (where sport seats are standard) assuming you are getting a base and not an S or JCW

WOW! That's great information! I have one questions then: For my JCW (sport seats are a std item), if I order the Cross Leather Punch Black ($1500), will those seats have "both" thigh adjustment "and" lumbar adjustment?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Apparently the Configurator is down at the moment...I cannot log on...it just spins & spins! :(

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Apparently the Configurator is down at the moment...I cannot log on...it just spins & spins! :(
It just got an upgrade - the boxes on the right look different and how you move between front, rear, and interior views changed. I just checked...it works for me...so maybe you need to delete some cached data.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
It just got an upgrade - the boxes on the right look different and how you move between front, rear, and interior views changed. I just checked...it works for me...so maybe you need to delete some cached data.
I noticed the new format, and it worked for me. But now I cannot get the "Build Your Own" to work. I have no clue what to do.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fiber Alloy now with dark silver door bezels (or dumb luck strikes again)

In another thread - thank you corndog - I saw that the MINI Yours Interior Style in Fiber Alloy now comes with a dark silver door bezel like the one that comes with the Dark Silver Dash Surface.

So we now have...

7) The MINI Yours Interior Style in Fiber Alloy changes the door bezel to dark silver instead of the piano black shown.

As for me...dumb luck has struck again and once again I DID order correctly. I avoided the Dark Silver Dash Surface because I didn't like how the dark silver bezel looks against the Satellite Grey Doors. I was about to change from the std Black Checker to Fiber Alloy once I saw it is a true silver/black without the brownish tone I saw on the dealer's 'sample' and in some photos. But I went from 'ordered' to 'in production' overnight and so couldn't. Lucky me.

·
Registered
101 Posts
WOW! That's great information! I have one questions then: For my JCW (sport seats are a std item), if I order the Cross Leather Punch Black ($1500), will those seats have "both" thigh adjustment "and" lumbar adjustment?

Thanks!

Yes, the cross leather seats have manual lumbar support. The standard seats on the JCW are the recaro seats in cloth which also include lumbar support. It seems weird that if you order the $750 cloth or cloth/leather seats on the JCW that you will not have lumbar support. So you are paying more to lose a feature..

Also, all sport seats (including the JCW recaro seats) have thigh adjustment.

So to answer your question, the cross leather will have both lumbar and thigh adjustment.

·
Registered
101 Posts

Thanks!
Just so you can see, the JCW standard cloth recaro sport seats have lumbar (you can see the circular dials on the inside sides of the seats)

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
There are 3 seat types:
1] Standard
3] Recaro
Only available on JCW
I wanted to get a Cooper S, but hated the sports seats. I landed up ordering the base Cooper (non-S) just to get the base seats. I bet Mini is losing some sales over this.

Bobby D.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you pick 4-door the configurator forces "S"

I ordered a 4-door 1.5 liter base model, so I know it exist. The configurator will only let you chose "S". Is this a bug in the configurator?

Bobby D.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I ordered a 4-door 1.5 liter base model, so I know it exist. The configurator will only let you chose "S". Is this a bug in the configurator?.
From the miniusa home page if you click 'build' on the top you will be given a choice to build any of the MINI models - in 'justa', S, and JCW if available. Alternatively, if you are in the configurator you can click 'change model' on the top and the full range of MINIs will appear on the right.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.