Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping there's someone on here that's done this install before. I just installed the mnidomore hitch receiver on my 2014 MCS hardtop. I've got that installed without too many problems but the wiring harness that I got with it has minimal directions at best.

Is there a DIY somewhere or does someone have pictures of how they installed the wiring harness that they can share?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was able to get this sorted out last night, I'll try to upload some pictures later but here's some things I learned.

1. To give power to the harness, I had to pull out the 12V auxiliary outlet on the passenger side and feed then feed the long black wire with the in-line fuse up through that hole and connect it to the red power wire. I did it this way rather than trying to pull the wires from the 12V outlet back down through the tail light access hole because the rear seat belt is coiled up right there and it's difficult to get you hands to fit. The gauge of the modulite harness and the cars, red, power wire are quite different so I ended up soldering the modulite wire to the red 12V power wire on the car. The instructions from MNI do More have zero mention about what to do with this wire so I had to refer to the F56 install instructions and the modulite spec sheet.

2. A couple of the wires on the modulite harness have extensions added to them, like the one mentioned above that's used for power. Make sure these extensions were done well. I spent quite a while scratching my head as to why it worked in a test configuration I had but as soon as I put it all in place like it should be nothing worked. There was a bad joint where one of the extensions was added and it was causing intermittent power loss to the modulite unit.

3. In the passenger side tail light access hole there's a post you can use for the white ground wire with the terminal crimped on it. The instructions say to splice it with the brown wire on the passenger tail light harness but the gauges are quite different so I felt I would get a more solid connection using the ground post.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.