Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
We moved from France brought out LHD F55 with us - before you ask "why?" it's a long answer, please just accept that it made sense to do that!

To register the car in the UK we need to:
  • Change the dipped beam to left rather than right side
  • Fit a mph speedo
  • Make sure the fog light is on the correct side of the car (!)
Taking the last point first - this is already acceptable to the VCA so no need to modify.

For the mph speedo we have changed the units to mph and have the digital readout in mph but the dial is still km/h. I think the VCA will insist that the dial is changed (I've asked, I'm waiting for a reply), so for the Mini F55/56 what are the options? Is it easy to replace the faceplate of the speedo? Stick a new faceplate on top? I don't want to go to the lengths of replacing the whole dials unit unless that actually easier than modding the speedo itself.

For the dipped beams does the whole headlamp unit need to be replaced or can the existing units be adjusted? I presume the former, so are the units just swappable for RHD ones or is there some daft reprogramming needed like when a battery is changed?! The units are standard halogen ones, we didn't pay for any upgrades.

I'm planning on doing this myself so for any replacement units for headlamps or the speedo are there any tips on how to make sure we get compatible ones? Have they changed at all since the F55/56 were launched?

Thanks 馃檪

Registered
I have experience in doing this many times with my cars to France and recently to Switzerland. Unfortunate I have no experience of doing it with a mini so my advice will be limited! My main advice would be:

MPH: are you sure you need to change it? Iv never changed clocks, you just need to make sure the MPH is selected on the speedo in the digital display. Check with the MOT Centre

Fog light: my mini has two, if you have two too then you don鈥檛 have to change anything! But your right if you only have one!

Beam projection: if you have LED lights then most beams are flat. My old Audi required no change when exported to Switzerland due to this. Perhaps check? Also some have switch buttons to change the beam pattern when driving abroad, perhaps check this too?

Where did you get the 3 main points that you need to change? Was it a proper centre or just a hunch?

Premium Member
2016 F54 BMW Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
If you really must change the kombi, I've just changed mine (so I can do a HUD retrofit). If you don't have a HUD, then I will have a cluster that's been wiped of VIN and (hopefully) Mileage, although it was only just under 25k, so that might not be an issue anyway.

As for the headlights, park facing a wall and turn your lights on. If there's no "uptick" to one side, you shouldn't need to do anything.

Otherwise I would look at getting a replacement set of headlights.

Again, if yours are halogen, I'm in the process of upgrading to LED, so might be able to help you out with them.

Both the Kombi and LED headlights will need coding if replaced.

Registered
2016 Mini Cooper Convertible, Blazing Red
This video shows how to remove the instrument cluster to change the faceplate:

This might be a cheaper alternative to replacing the entire cluster, and won't require resetting the odometer. On eBay in the US, new faceplates are less than $100

Registered
Re: the speedo numbering... do YOU really need it or is just to get through an inspection?
I would seriously just get small adhesive number stickers and stick them on the faceplate. It may look cheesy but does the job WAAAY easier than pulling the darn dash apart.
After inspection decide if you really need them... peel off if not.

Premium Member

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi everyone,

Thank you for the replies and suggestions.

Here are the requirement from the VCA: https://assets.publishing.service.g..._data/file/916997/cars-mutual-recognition.pdf

I called and asked them about the digital readout and they said that because it's not permanent (i.e. it can be switched easily between range, mpg, etc) then it's not acceptable, I need to change the speedo faceplate. From that video it looks a bit of a faff but I'd rather do that than mess around with reprogramming. Stickers around the outside will not be adequate, it certainly won't pass a British MOT!

I'll check the dipped beams to see if they go to the right or just straight down. I don't recall any control to change the dip direction. Mine are definitely just halogen and not LED so hopefully no need to reprogramme (all this reprogramming for dumb electrical items, what a ripoff!).

Thanks for the offer of replacement parts CmdrBond, much appreciated.

Cheers 馃檪

Premium Member
To my knowledge, no coding is needed for halogen headlights, as there's no ECUs involved.

As for coding in a new Kombi, it's not difficult, and provided you have an enet cable, there are users on this forum who can do it remotely if there's noone near to you.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi CmdrBond,
Thanks for the reassurance. If I can only get a set of Kombis then I'll ask for help!
Cheers 馃檪

Premium Member
No worries. As stated, I have a set that should be virginised and ready to go.

Just let me know.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi all,

So I think I can get a couple of used RHD headlamps off ebay for ~拢80 which is not too bad, providing they fit! But I don't see any reason why they wouldn't.

However I can't find a speedo faceplate, only secondhand instrument clusters. I read quotes for reprogramming of 拢250! So is this an easy reprogramming job or will it just be quicker to buy a secondhand mph cluster, remove the faceplate and fit it into mine? (I'm pretty handy, work on my own cars normally but this will be the first time on the Mini)

Cheers :)

Premium Member
The problem with used clusters is the mileage.

If the mileage is LESS than your current car, you SHOULD be ok.

If it's more, it will increase the mileage stored in the DME and give a tamper dot.

To clear a cluster requires desoldering a chip and using a EEPROM programmer to hex edit it.

As stated above, I have a used cluster that has been wiped. Let me know if you're interested.

I will need to know the part number of your existing cluster to confirm compatibility, but it should be ok (unless you have the HUD).

Then it will just need coding to the car which is a5 minute job.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How does the coding work? I think you said that's with an enet cable? Does it then pick up the correct mileage info etc from the car?

Premium Member
Exactly that, you just need E-Sys and an enet cable, or the enet cable and someone who can remote code.

The coding tells the car to communicate with the ECU in the cluster.

The mileage is stored in 3 separate places in the car. The cluster, the DME and the BDC (I think). It will default to whichever is the highest.

If you're near Bournemouth, I could code it in for you.

Otherwise you're looking at remote coding or finding someone close by.

Registered
2016 Mini Cooper Convertible, Blazing Red
There's this inexpensive cluster available on eBay US. Several others as well鈥攋ust make sure they are coming from the US or UK, not Lithuania or Bulgaria, otherwise the faces are in kilometers. Simply swap out the MPH face with the one on your existing unit - no coding needed, as yours is original to the car. I searched eBay using "Mini Cooper instrument cluster F56."

Premium Member
There's this inexpensive cluster available on eBay US. Several others as well鈥攋ust make sure they are coming from the US or UK, not Lithuania or Bulgaria, otherwise the faces are in kilometers. Simply swap out the MPH face with the one on your existing unit - no coding needed, as yours is original to the car. I searched eBay using "Mini Cooper instrument cluster F56."
There's many different clusters. If you search by the part number, you will get mph or kph because it's based on the p/n. Location of seller is irrelevant.

Buying from the US could also see import duties.

The main thing to know is if the OP has a HUD or not. As that makes a big difference on compatibility if coding to the car.

If the OP doesn't want to disassemble and reassemble, then coding is the only option.

If the OP doesn't mind taking their cluster apart, the part number doesn't matter.

Premium Member

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi all,

No HUD here. I'm in UK so will buy in the UK, I think I saw a cluster on ebay for 拢30 which is reasonable since I only need the faceplate.

@CmdrBond those ones you linked look nice! My japanese (is it?) is non-existent though so I won't be ordering them, but thanks for searching and sharing the link.

Cheers :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts