Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friends, I'm looking at picking up a '19 or '20 Cooper Hard Top 2-door. Which would give a more comfortable ride for basic cruising on crap roads: an S with 17s or a JCW with the adaptive dampers set to comfort? I will not be using run-flats for either. And I know I could get a softer ride with 16s, but I don't want the handling sacrifice and I'm finding MUCH better tire options for the 17s.

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
8,830 Posts
My gut reaction is S definitely! No Runflats. But I've never had the adaptive dampers. Clubman's ride comfort then the hatchback but my JCW on 19" rfs was rock hard

·
Registered
422 Posts
Judging by this thread (page 6 and onwards) Adaptive damping vs. sport suspension option , it seems that adaptive dampers make a big difference in ride comfort. I own a JCW with standard (sport) suspension and it's quite bumpy. Personally, after reading the comments by that link above from the owners, i'd go for the JCW with adaptive dampers. Can't say for sure which is more comfy between S (regular) and JCW (adaptive), but if feels like they are at least similar as long as we keep 16'' rims out of the equation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your replies. Does anyone know if the adaptive dampers were available on both the S and JCW -- and which years? I'm seeing conflicting comments elsewhere. Much appreciated!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts