Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friends, I'm looking at picking up a '19 or '20 Cooper Hard Top 2-door. Which would give a more comfortable ride for basic cruising on crap roads: an S with 17s or a JCW with the adaptive dampers set to comfort? I will not be using run-flats for either. And I know I could get a softer ride with 16s, but I don't want the handling sacrifice and I'm finding MUCH better tire options for the 17s.

Thank you!

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your replies. Does anyone know if the adaptive dampers were available on both the S and JCW -- and which years? I'm seeing conflicting comments elsewhere. Much appreciated!

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Adaptive dampers were available from launch of the JCW until the introduction of the LCI2 cars. Up until LCI2 you could order a JCW with standard or sports suspension, or adaptive dampers. Both of my JCW's (2016, 2019) had adaptive dampers. For me they allowed a softer ride day to day. I never really used the hard setting as it was just uncomfortable. Probably great for the track though. I had the Pirelli runflats.
Gotcha. Thanks so much!

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In a GTI, in addition to the provided driving modes you can also have a custom mode where you can, for example, have comfort suspension but sport steering. Does a JCW from around 2016 or 17 allow you to do something similar? I expect my ideal combination for DD would be sport steering, throttle, and exhaust with comfort suspension. I've only read in reviews about the 3 provided driving modes.
Thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts