Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Automatic F55. Not the S. No matter how much I try, I can't seem to get over 33mpg even in Green Mode and even after driving like there's an egg under the pedal. I do mostly suburban driving with long stretches between lights. Mostly around 40-60mph. On highways at 65-75mph I still did not go past 33mpg. All this, with just me in the car.

When I drive the same way on Mid mode, the mpg plummets to 25-26.

Is this normal? I have always got EPA mileage or very close to it in all my cars. This is the first one where I'm seeing such a drop.

· Registered
358 Posts
I would say you have an issue, I drive my JCW in mid mode and 80% of my driving is through a busy city of here in the UK and LOTS of stop start stuff and get 36mpg minimum, I would take it to the dealer or a local indy and get it scanned, the dealer may have a software update for it too

· Super Moderator
8,918 Posts
How long are your journeys. If you only drive 10 mins the car never warms up? Just a thought. If your journeys are longer you need to see a dealer i think!

· Registered
1,837 Posts
That's pretty poor to say the least... Thing to remember is the difference between the USA MPG and UK MPG as they aren't directly comparable. I'd follow the advice of the gentleman above and take it to your dealer, something doesn't seem quite right there!

Could I ask how many miles in a tank you are able to achieve? I'm just cautious that you're reading the average MPG over the lifetime of the car (if you haven't reset it) and not actually working it out.

I average between 420-500 miles on a tank of diesel in my SD, which with a 44 litre tank means I get about 41.06 UK MPG.

· Registered
615 Posts
Fuel quality varies from US to EU so depending on what fuel you fill up with, you won't achieve the same numbers as owners in the EU.

What fuel are you putting in your car?

87 Octane which is usually the cheapest pump fuel in the US is equivelent to 91 RON in EU..

In the EU the minimum is usally 95 RON which is equivelent to 91 Octane in the US so maybe worth trying that grade fuel to see what mpg you get when cruising.

· Registered
1,837 Posts
I always use 93 octane and have never got more than 300 miles on a tank before the light is on. That's in green mode. On mid mode its usually 250 or so
Sounds dodgy to me. I have an F56 Cooper auto and I doubt the weight makes more than 2 or 3 mpg difference. My mpg is 43 and that is with liberal use of the sport button.
I concur that something must be wrong there... Although I know the speed limits are higher in the US which means you're accelerating for longer and then stopping to then accelerate to 45-55mph. This would therefore use more fuel but I can't see it making your average MPG less than half the equivalent in the UK.

Book it in I say, book it in!

· Registered
60 Posts
I have F56 Cooper S auto
on a run I easily get 47-48 mpg

when I drive it hard I get low 20's

mixed long term mpg is 33 mpg (includes both driving like a fairy and also like a spanner and everything in between)

· Registered
181 Posts
I have a UK cooper, managed 56.7 mpg on my trip back home to London today over 48 miles, mostly driver at a steady 70mph with careful throttle control.

In comparison my last diesel got me the same, when driven how I did tonight so fairly impressed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,837 Posts
I only got 395 miles out of my full tank of diesel... :O I have had the gate in M/S a little more often than usual the past two weeks, but that and cold weather is sure to have caused a 25-30 mile drop than my usual 425 miles of range.

· Registered
34 Posts
I have a 2015 MCS 2 liter turbo 4, 189 hp 6 speed auto. I get 27 mpg over 2 years use. I also have a 2012 BMW 328i 2 liter turbo 4. 240 hp 8 speed auto. It also gets 27 mpg over 4 years use. The BMW weighs 500 lbs. more that the Mini. I guess the BMW's lower CD and 2 extra gears makes up for the Mini's weight and lower power advantage. I expected better from the Mini.

· Registered
121 Posts
I'm steady at 26-27 mpg on my F55 MCS w/tuning kit. I don't waste any opportunity to let the little torque monster rip either, so I'm happy with that. I came from an M35 that got 19 mpg with less than spirited driving.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

· Registered
207 Posts
What tyres do you have on? I had NRF Dunlops with a very low rolling resistance factory fitted, but my Pirelli SottoZero 3 winters are exactly the opposite and my fuel consumption has taken a 15% hit. I did order the Dunlop Winters as they also had a low RR, but they delivered the RF version so for the confusion the dealer offered me the Pirellis at 30% off, so even though I knew they'd have an impact, I thought the purchase price would offset it. To be honest, it's worse than I anticipated. And they're hard as h3ll too and feel like RFs anyway.

I'm on a manual Cooper S F56.

45mpg is now down to about 38. I don't tear-4rse about in it but squeeze in the odd scary overtake just to wake me up in the mornings and have a 38 mile daily commute.

· Registered
615 Posts
You have to factor in that in winter the car will take longer to warm up (more friction viscosity oil) and more electonics are used e.g. heater, rear (and front if optioned) screen demister, heated seats etc... Which also take a hit on economy regardless of rolling resitance.

You may find changing to a different brand winter tyre will not yield the mpg improvements you are hoping for and probably wont get back the additional cost to change them.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

· Registered
121 Posts
What tyres do you have on? I had NRF Dunlops with a very low rolling resistance factory fitted, but my Pirelli SottoZero 3 winters are exactly the opposite and my fuel consumption has taken a 15% hit. I did order the Dunlop Winters as they also had a low RR, but they delivered the RF version so for the confusion the dealer offered me the Pirellis at 30% off, so even though I knew they'd have an impact, I thought the purchase price would offset it. To be honest, it's worse than I anticipated. And they're hard as h3ll too and feel like RFs anyway.

I'm on a manual Cooper S F56.

45mpg is now down to about 38. I don't tear-4rse about in it but squeeze in the odd scary overtake just to wake me up in the mornings and have a 38 mile daily commute.
I was in the OEM pirellis that were well worn since I got the car, just had some Yokohamas 580s installed today and will be recording the results and see what changes.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

· Registered
207 Posts
You have to factor in that in winter the car will take longer to warm up (more friction viscosity oil) and more electonics are used e.g. heater, rear (and front if optioned) screen demister, heated seats etc... Which also take a hit on economy regardless of rolling resitance.

You may find changing to a different brand winter tyre will not yield the mpg improvements you are hoping for and probably wont get back the additional cost to change them.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
I noticed it on the journey home on the same day, plus I put them on when the weather was still pretty warm. I'm not considering changing them, it's too late now - it was just an observation that the cars are designed to run on low rolling resistance tyres and mpg is adversely affected by their absence.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.