Mini Cooper Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
About to order a clubman. Just wondering what option, if any, there is for loading the car up with my MP3 music collection for playback. Current car, an Octavia, has an SD card slot in the glovebox, so I have 200 odd albums available at my fingertips. Anything like that on the mini? Probably not, as it doesn't even have Android auto, which my Skoda does, but you never know

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2014 Mini Cooper S has a usb and also a 20 gig hard drive that I put all my music on. It will play movies if you are in park. I play movies from the usb drive which is located in the center of the car blow the entertainment system, real handy to use.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I have a 2016 Cooper S with the Media XL option and that has the hard drive that allows USB transfer of MP3 to the car or playback from USB storage (stick or external drive)
Not sure what model year this relates to but gives you an idea of what the XL adds

·
Super Moderator
8,620 Posts
Standard kit is a usb; have all my music on it, plus the driver profiles! Works well. I think on the new ones SE above L1 at least you get a usb c too but not 100% sure on that. You can blutooth from your phone too of course!

·
Registered
2022 F60 Cooper S in Sage Green
408 Posts
I have use a USB memory stick plugged into the data port for years, playing all my music. Since I had the basic radio (no LCD screen) it was the only option. Worked really well.

Now I have a much newer car with the big navigation and stream all my music. However, the sound quality is better when you playback from a USB stick.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Windows let's you just drag and drop mp3. files into a folder that you create. I have folders saved as Favorite, Oldies, Heavy, and Cindy's I also have an All Music folder we use when traveling that has all the songs saved in.
TIP: You can not just delete a single song from the Mini's hard drive you have to delete the whole folder so if you don't want to hear a song ever again, don't put it on the hard drive.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have an iPod Touch that I dedicate to music in the car. It works great, because it's set to automatically download new music as I add it to my Apple Music library. So every time it connects to my home Wi-Fi it automatically grabs any new music I've added. Sadly, Apple no longer sells any iPods. You could also use an old iPhone. If you're not part of the Apple ecosystem, then I truly don't know where folks download music or how they store it. EDIT: I should add that I do this because I prefer the sound quality of a wired connection, and I don't want to constantly be plugging/unplugging my phone.

·
Registered
2021 MINI Countryman Cooper SE All 4
19 Posts
I have an iPod Touch that I dedicate to music in the car.
Same here with my iPod Touch 1st Gen., which I bought in Tokyo in Oct 2007.

I found out that streaming music from my iPhone XR via bluetooth was rather poor compared to USB wired.
So I gave the old pod a try. The result was absolutely convincing.

I use the USB C port below the arm rest, of course with an adapter to USB 3.0 and the old iPod cable.
The iPod Touch stays in the car for good and has thus found a second life.

My music is synced via iTunes from my computer, where my whole CD library is stored in MP3 or AAC.
No Apple Music so far, but stick to my CD collection anyway.

What amazes me most is the fact that the album covers are displayed in the MINI centre screen, sheer beauty.
My MINI is a 2021 Countryman Cooper SE with wireless phone charging and big touch display.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts