Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2018 mini countryman for my wife, and it did not have car play or the navigation system, but it had the 6.5-inch screen with the standard mini-infotainment. That did work ok but it was a little flaky when using maps on her phone. So, I looked at the option to add Carplay. I saw there were several people offering solutions, both hardware and software and settled on http://bimmer-remote.com. I have never heard of this company and really did not have any idea of what to expect. I personally have very limited experience coding a car. After I messaged on them on facebook my vin they linked the service I would need. It cost $189 and I figured this could be an interesting adventure so I would give it a try. I clicked the link and paid for the service. I had to order an enet cable from amazon and they linked the one I needed - that was another $20. The cable arrrived the next day and I let them know. 10 min later they scheduled me to do the install an hour from then. They linked several files I needed to download when I was waiting for the cable, I downloaded the files and installed them on a laptop. I was asked to make sure I kept the driver's seatbelt latched for the process and I had to attach the cable to the OBDC port of the car and the ethernet port on the computer. One of the programs allowed them to log in and take control of the laptop so they could load the Carplay into the head unit. That part took about 20 minutes or so then they had to change some codes in the mini. Before the codes were added there were all kinds of alarms on the dash. But 5 minuites later they sent a list of things I needed to do. Roll up all windows, unplug the OBDC cable from the OBDC port on the car, turn car off, step out and lock all doors then wait 10 min without touching anything. When I came back and turned on the car, Carplay was installed and I was able to sync my phone and my wife's phone without any issues. We have taken a few trips and it was well worth the money spent.
I hope this helps anyone else looking to try this upgrade. It was really a surprise how quick and easy the process was for me.

· Registered
2016 Mini Cooper Convertible, Blazing Red
126 Posts
This sounds interesting. Are you getting Apple maps in the display for navigation? On some retrofits, the edges are cut off by the rounded screen—is this true with your setup?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts