Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No this time it is not the A/C. This is the 1st time I really noticed it pulling into the garage. So I came home last night after a 20 Min mixed drive Highway and some traffic lights. Pull in the Garage and go what is this smell.

I am pretty good to id different smells like oil antifreeze brakes clutch etc etc but this one is new too me. Kinda smells like clutch riding and hung brakes combined. I will give the car on Monday a good workout before it goes into the shop to have the mirror changed so the techs can have a good" Smell Test"

Also checked under the car no roadkill or plastic bags burnt on to the exhaust. :confused::confused:

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My Engine Oil smells like it got 100k+ on the clock

Okay just did the sniff test removed the filler cap and smelled the cap and stuck my nose into the valve cover and my oil smells exactly like on our Mini R56 with 138K on the clock. I understand oil gets really hot on those small engines but it got that transmission fluid smell too it like you get on high mileage cars. Is this normal? I think I have the Dealer give it a good check up on Monday.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Direct injection gasoline engines like those used in Minis can accumulate incomplete combustion byproducts in their crankcase oil. The current 1.5 & 2.0 liter engines are better at not doing this than the first generation 1.6 liter ones, in my opinion. I'd switch places where you buy fuel and see if that helps. Some areas of Arizona have reformulated gas that can go stale in storage at the station. This is more likely with 91 octane because of less demand.

Will be interested if dealer finds something amiss so please post results :)

·
Registered
495 Posts
Only wished that they would improved smart phone technology that Smell & Scents can be stored for later use and retrieval. Just in case you could not reproduce the smell on demand when going to the dealer. Almost like having a toothache and when you get to the dentist it is no longer there.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just got back from the Mini Dealer and they found the problem. A piece of shredded tire some how got thrown in the engine bay and landed up there by the oil pan and since the engine is hot it melted on to it. They removed it took it for a long drive and the smell is gone. Hurray nothing major.:):)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.