Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new Windshield for my Mini mine got hit yesterday by a Pebble/small Rock that fell off a Truck about 700 Ft in front of me a car picked it up with the tire and hit my Windshield. :(:( I have free Glass on all of our Cars so it will not cost me anything. Last Year we had 3 windshields replaced on 2 Cars.

Just talked to my Mini Dealer and they do offer to come out to the house:) or I can bring it in for Service. He asked me if I want the Original or After Market. I told him original but honestly does it really matter?

Is there a difference in thickness...or or or....?

I hate to make the Insurance Company pay out like $ 300.00 more just to get the original because most likely I will need a new one down the Road again because in the End I will pay for it sooner or later even with free Glass.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would recommend the original. I had Glass Doctor replace mine. I asked for OEM, they said it would be. The one they put in had a waviness to it that was distracting. They tried another manufacturer and it is distorted by the edges. They said they had given me windshields from factory companies and that if I wanted them to change it out again for one from the dealership (which is what I thought I would be getting in the first place) it would cost me money. My insurance agent said the glass company should take care of any defects on their dime. The Glass Doctor GM isn't getting back to me now.

So go Original and make sure it is.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Talked to my Dealer and they told me there is no after market and the glass company also confirmed what the Dealer said so original it is. :)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Had the discussion with my previous car. My statement: it's insured with an original windshield so I expect them to replace it with an original windshield when needed. That's why I pay them a monthly fee for! And after my complaint they agreed. Sometime you just have to claim your rights because they make agreements with glass repair services like Carglass over here and receive huge kick back bonuses at the end of the year. I'm not paying for that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts