Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

the change pads warning light finally annoyed me to the point that I replaced pads and sensors this afternoon.Front pads were decent but changed them anyway and rear pads were shot and sensor had gone through, hence the warning light. Easy to change and took about two hours in total. Took it for a drive to check and they feel quite spongy and had a burning brake smell for the first few miles. The burning smell has now gone but the brakes still feel a bit spongy and not quite as sharp as the old ones. I’ve done plenty of pax changes before on different cars and not noticed this - is it just the pads bedding in or do the brakes need bleeding?

·
Super Moderator
6,668 Posts
Shouldn't need bleeding unless you opened the valve?maybe some bedding 200 miles .which pads?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I opened the cap on the reservoir to release pressure when winding the calliper pistons but not any valves. I put Pagids on front and Eicher on back as they didn’t have Pages in stock

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have front and rear pads plus sensors ready to replace, now 25,000 miles.
The new pads have an angled edge on each side. However from experience I always use a file to make an edge top and bottom because of the lips on the inner and outer edge of the disc.
I also rub the face of the pad on a concrete floor as it helps take the shine off the disc.

·
Super Moderator
6,668 Posts
Some pads come with a bedding in coating so maybe not a good idea with them, but they say 200 miles to bed in and gentle breaking. Shouldn't be any air in there then. May just be the pad material feels different?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts