Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I am relatively new to the whole car cleaning world. I used to use a car wash service in the past usually. I'm not quite looking at getting into the whole detailing... at least not just yet. I've got a Mini that has a little over 500 miles on it, and I wanted to do just a basic interior exterior clean. I've looked at Donna's post, and it seems a little overkill for what I was thinking.

A couple of questions.

What do most people clean on a regular basis?
How often?

I would assume something like the detailing would only be done maybe once a year?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
998 Posts
i /try/ to give the car a wash every couple of weeks, weather permitting. this will be a shampoo, dry & maybe a spray as i dry with a quick detail spray which brings the wax shine back up. Anything more than that will be every 2-3 months where i would re-wax/seal the paint after washing & drying. the interior will get a vaccuum, dust & wipe down most of the time when i wash.

one word of advice i would give; if you don't have the time or the weather to do a decent job, leave it until you do. Better to leave a bit of harmless dirt on the paint than potentially scratch it by rushing

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hat,
Thanks! I am in Georgia so weather is rarely an issue. Any suggestions on products for a basic run like you are talking about? Vacuum suggestions? I have 3 house vacuums, but that's not necessarily ideal.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The dealer gave me two different wash kits with car wash and interior cleaner. Havent tried either yet.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I use an old house dyson to vaccuum. The battery or 12v car vacs never have the suction power necessary.

For basic wash kit theres nothing wrong with big box stuff like autoglym or meguiars. Try to get into the two bucket wash process and use a grit guard in the cold water bucket. That and a decent wash mitt wont see you far wrong.

·
Super Moderator
7,902 Posts
Me ,wash weekly, Hoover weekly every other week tyre spray, , monthly wipe dust off dash etc with armourall monthly glass clean in and out and plastics trim treatment ie wheel arches every 12_18 weeks or so wax polish.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've only cleaned mine once since getting it in early March, should have been more often but as others have said better to leave it till you have time to do a proper job.

I use the two bucket method to avoid scratches.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Weekly wash here, using the massive bag of Autoglym goodies my girlfriend got with her Audi Q3

(I wash her Q3 with Fairy liquid and one of my old sponges)

Interior not so often as my kids trash the inside in about 30 seconds

·
Registered
186 Posts
Haibane, where in Georgia? I have some sources but depends on where you are.
Annette

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I've looked at Donna's post, and it seems a little overkill for what I was thinking.

A couple of questions.

What do most people clean on a regular basis?
How often?

I would assume something like the detailing would only be done maybe once a year?

Thanks all!
Overkill??? That's the basics mate!!! ha ha ;)

As to your questions....
How often? When you think it needs it! (For most people that tends to be once a week....perhaps more often in winter, less often in summer)

The minimum when it comes to detailing (I reckon) would be twice a year - Spring to give it a good old overhaul/spruce up and then in Autumn to give it protection over the winter months. But the more often you detail/protect the easier and less time consuming it is.

My absolute basic kit (necessities) would be:
Two wash buckets, one with a grit guard - one for shampoo and the other for mitt rinse.
A microfiber (or preferably) lambswool mitt.
Wheel brush
A good quality shampoo.
Microfibre drying cloth (chamois is the devils work)
Polish
Wax/sealent ..... generally light/solid colours work well with wax and darker/metallic colours really 'zing' with a sealent.
A stack of microfiber cloths.

Anything else can be added too as you feel necessary. :) The likes of a powerwasher/snowfoam/Trim cleaners/wheel sealents/glass cleaners etc etc.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Cool, that's not too far. Go to Way Motor Works in Atlanta and grab some Prima cleaning products. I use Mystique wash and Hydro Spray for the body about 95% of the time and Clarity for the glass. I get Black Wow to clean and treat the black trim. I only do a big detail about once a year, but most of the time I use the above products and get the job done very nicely. I have a Griots drying towel that I use for everything (except the super dirty black parts like the wheels and exhaust).
Also check out Adam's detailing to buy online. They have great videos and products as well. I love their In and Out Spray and the Glass Sealant.

PM if you want to chat detailing.

Annette
I'm in Milton/Alpharetta

·
Registered
52 Posts
Cool, that's not too far. Go to Way Motor Works in Atlanta and grab some Prima cleaning products. I use Mystique wash and Hydro Spray for the body about 95% of the time and Clarity for the glass. I get Black Wow to clean and treat the black trim. I only do a big detail about once a year, but most of the time I use the above products and get the job done very nicely. I have a Griots drying towel that I use for everything (except the super dirty black parts like the wheels and exhaust).
Also check out Adam's detailing to buy online. They have great videos and products as well. I love their In and Out Spray and the Glass Sealant.

PM if you want to chat detailing.

Annette
I'm in Milton/Alpharetta
I use Prima products, too. In fact, I usually buy Clarity, Slick, and Hydro by the gallon. I also use Nero and Mystique and the Griots garage drying towel, as well!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Here's the drying towel. Totally worth it's weight in gold. I actually have 4 of them now. Bought one for my husband and then got one to keep in the back of the car along with a bottle of Hydro. When in a pinch I have run my car through the brushless car wash and then spray with hydro and wipe down.
Then I got a back up just in case :D.

This towel is large enough that you can dry the entire car with the one towel. Like I said though, I don't use it on the wheels.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/micro+fiber+drying+towel.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=&from=Search

·
Registered
120 Posts
The drying towel BoCRon recommended really is excellent. I use it every time I hand wash.

I also have to admit to occasionally using the touchless carwash myself. Summer in Houston, TX is brutal. When the morning starts off at 80F and the day gets up near or over 100F, washing the car by hand would see me passed out in the driveway. Of course, I don't want to leave things like bird droppings on the paint, so the auto wash will do for removing stuff between hand washes. The wash is only a few blocks from the house, so when I get back I use a microfiber to get the bits the auto wash doesn't, like under the overhang on the rear hatch. Then, dry off with the drying microfiber towel and she's back to glossy.

That shiny clean look makes all the hand washing very worthwhile.

·
Super Moderator
1,206 Posts
I had mine fully detailed and sealed the day after picking it up.

So now washing consists of:

Rinse with hose/jetwash
Snow foam
Rinse
Dry
Spray detailer
Outside plastices
Wheels & tyres

All done in less than an hour. Problem is that I generally have to do Mrs J's as well :(

·
Registered
19 Posts
The drying towel BoCRon recommended really is excellent. I use it every time I hand wash.

I also have to admit to occasionally using the touchless carwash myself. Summer in Houston, TX is brutal.

Tracey which Touchless car wash do you use?

I am closish (30 mins) to Houston but have been unable to find any Touchless car washes in my area as they all seem to have brushes.

I think the touchless car wash would be great for quick jobs to supplement my hand washes (so far weekly but would love to do every other week and alternate).

·
Registered
120 Posts
Tracey which Touchless car wash do you use?

I am closish (30 mins) to Houston but have been unable to find any Touchless car washes in my area as they all seem to have brushes.

I think the touchless car wash would be great for quick jobs to supplement my hand washes (so far weekly but would love to do every other week and alternate).
I'll have to pay attention to where the washes are in the area & let you know the brand that works best for me. The gas stations are mostly independent / franchise and the brand of car wash used at each one varies. There are also the do-it-yourself wash places which eat quarters like candy, some of them have touchless. In addition to the different brands, how well maintained each wash is varies by station / wash place. So I couldn't recommend a specific place, but I'll try to recommend a brand or a detail service (something like Mister).

My main recommendation would be to hit the northwest part of town if that's convenient. The more run down the neighborhood, the more likely the wash, if its even working, is poorly maintained & doesn't do all cycles or leaks etc. in my experience.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts