Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I'm currently driving my SO's F56S as she had her engine replaced under the crankshaft bearings recall, and she has a lead foot (helping her break it in properly).

I have a couple questions regarding a few things I've noticed:

1st- The engine seems to rough idle when I engage her into 1st gear. It's nothing too extreme, and I am assuming it's cause everything is brand spanking new. Anything I should be aware of or take into consideration?
2nd- The odometer reads the same mileage as when we took the car in. I thought that because it's a new engine, the odometer would have to be reset to take into account the fact that it's brand new. Is my train of thought correct?

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
The odometer mileage reflects the mileage on the platform, not the motor. I had mine replaced at 10K miles and the odometer was not and cannot by law be reset. Can't speak to the rough idle since I didn't experience this. One thing I did do is change the oil after 1200 miles on the new motor. Not required by the manufacturer, but it's something I have always done when breaking in a new power plant. Cheap insurance in my book, just like more frequent oil changes vs the computer telling me to change it every 10-12K miles.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The odometer mileage reflects the mileage on the platform, not the motor. I had mine replaced at 10K miles and the odometer was not and cannot by law be reset.
Guess I was mistaken. I always thought the odometer was tied into the engine, and not the platform, for some odd reason.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Guess I was mistaken. I always thought the odometer was tied into the engine, and not the platform, for some odd reason.
I've never known this to be the case. You need the odometer to say the correct milage for general servicing, brakes, steering components etc. When you move the car on, you should have all the paperwork to prove you had a new engine @ 10k.....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Interesting, if replacing with brand new motor it starts off with zero miles and if the odometer were to be reset other mileage maintenancee would be off by the distance it traveled. I'd replace the oil as the post above and also at the computer point even if it a bit before 10k on the new plant.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've never known this to be the case. You need the odometer to say the correct milage for general servicing, brakes, steering components etc. When you move the car on, you should have all the paperwork to prove you had a new engine @ 10k.....
I can admit I was wrong. Thanks for the lesson!

Interesting, if replacing with brand new motor it starts off with zero miles and if the odometer were to be reset other mileage maintenancee would be off by the distance it traveled. I'd replace the oil as the post above and also at the computer point even if it a bit before 10k on the new plant.
Yeah I told her to keep that in mind. Plus I'm assuming the fob will contain all of that data (should she go to a BMW/MINI dealer of course).

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
As said the mileage stays the same and male sure the DVLR (UK) are notified of the new engine number.

Basically the same if a speedo is replaced, you start from zero not sure how they sort out mileage for the OBC?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.