Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi--I finally bought my mini today. It's awesome because I have always driven sticks (BMWs and MGs) and this steering wheel tab "stick shift" is better than nothing!
Here's my big beef. After I drove home from the dealer I decided to try out the sound system. Got my great KGSR Austin CDs out and Voila! Could not locate a CD player? What kind of new car doesn't have a CD player? It goes without saying that it is included! Isn't it? I'm in my 60s and a bit behind the times (I do have an I-phone) but..., and I don't own an MP3 player. And what about "books on CD"? I drive 1,000 miles each way back and forth to my place in Florida and listen to books to kill the time. Hunh? Now I gotta transfer all those books on CD to some other device, then somehow hook it up to a dashboard portal? This car is small as it is, so where is all this crap going to go?
WHY can't I go to a car stereo place and have them install a CD player? Or doesn't Mini-Cooper do that as well? I am truly pissed off and this has totally ruined my day, killing the euphoria one gets when buying a brand new car! Any suggestions?
Thanks!

·
Registered
200 Posts
No CD player. And I believe it isn't an option for the 2016 and newer models. Realistically cd's have gone the way of the record and cassette. Jump on the technology bandwagon and fill up your iPhone with your music. Cheaper and easier than retrofitting a CD player

Reactions: Trombonist

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yes no more CD players...A simple solution would be to get a portable CD player you can plug into the Aux In jack. You could also power it from the power jack.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Hi--I finally bought my mini today. It's awesome because I have always driven sticks (BMWs and MGs) and this steering wheel tab "stick shift" is better than nothing!
Here's my big beef. After I drove home from the dealer I decided to try out the sound system. Got my great KGSR Austin CDs out and Voila! Could not locate a CD player? What kind of new car doesn't have a CD player? It goes without saying that it is included! Isn't it? I'm in my 60s and a bit behind the times (I do have an I-phone) but..., and I don't own an MP3 player. And what about "books on CD"? I drive 1,000 miles each way back and forth to my place in Florida and listen to books to kill the time. Hunh? Now I gotta transfer all those books on CD to some other device, then somehow hook it up to a dashboard portal? This car is small as it is, so where is all this crap going to go?
WHY can't I go to a car stereo place and have them install a CD player? Or doesn't Mini-Cooper do that as well? I am truly pissed off and this has totally ruined my day, killing the euphoria one gets when buying a brand new car! Any suggestions?
Thanks!
I love it!!! Welcome to the F56 miniac world! I'm right there with ya believe me...btdt. Do a little research on here about loading cd's onto a flash drive (USB stick).....I just did this myself.....I STILL miss the CD player option. Yes, technology is making CD's extinct, but they DO sound better than copied audio files!

Just bone up on copying CD's to your mp3 player of a flash drive and you'll be fine.

My JCW is a 2015 and the CD player was an option but I had to get Visual Boost in order to get the CD player...Visual what??? LOL! (I'm probably older than you are, trust me)...I get it! :)

You have lots of help on here. Just enjoy your new MINI!

John

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Registered
173 Posts
I was disappointed that I couldn't just have a CD or two to have in the car to play on a loop when I couldn't find radio stations, but between Sirius and my iPhone, I since learned to live with it. I just have to rip my CDs that I buy and put on my iPhone so that I can listen to them when I drive.

·
Registered
200 Posts
oddly enough my previous car was a 1998 and only had a cassette deck. My MINI has no CD player. I guess I skipped ever having a CD player all together to I don't miss it. That being said.... I can't remember the last time I bought a physical CD.. maybe 4 or 5 years ago?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hi,
Did you not think to ask about the options on the MINI before you bought it?
Buying a car is a big financial decision/commitment so research and homework is essential.

I am sure there is a way of retrofitting a CD player for your MINI but it will be expensive.
Good luck.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hi,
Did you not think to ask about the options on the MINI before you bought it?
Buying a car is a big financial decision/commitment so research and homework is essential.

I am sure there is a way of retrofitting a CD player for your MINI but it will be expensive.
Good luck.
Steve, to be fair having a CD player in a car over the past 15 years is something which a lot of people would just expect in a new car. It's not always about reading the options. If the car comes with a "harmon kardon premium hi fi system" then it's not unfair to presume that being a car system it would have a cd player.

Kate, as others have mentioned here unfortunately there is no CD player. You will need to play music off your phone or an ipod or a USB stick. All of these things you can plug into the car's audio system and it will allow you to potentially store hundreds if not thousands of albums on the one device. So it has it's benefits if you make the switch.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
I would like a CD Player in my Mini. I got over 300 CD,s and about the same amount in Records:) I use an IPod that holds about a 1000 Songs but sometimes it is just easier to pull a CD into the Radio.;) I still have a CD Player in my 2015 Semi. :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hi everyone,
Maybe it was my OCD kicking in but I pored over the spec of my MINI and changed my mind many times before signing on the dotted line.

This forum and TotalMini are absolutely brilliant for discovering all of the foibles and quirks of the MINI so pre-reading is a must.
I feel for you Kate as these forums have many owners who ask about retrofitting options which they wish they had specced or hoped where on the MINI they purchased.

Sometimes it can spoil the new car experience, for whats is worth if you are unable to find a dealer who can fit a CD player for you then having your music/audio on a USB stick or loading onto your hard drive if you have Media XL is a good alternative.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
A 1GB USB stick will hold 200+ songs. They cost about 5 bucks. My suggestion is for you to try and enjoy learning how to "rip" the songs to the USB stick. You can find lots of information on the internet to show you how easy it can be. Living in Tennessee where we have a lot of "open space" with poor radio reception the one option that was a must for me was SiriusXM radio. Congratulations on your new Mini. What model did you get? Color? Photo?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.