Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local dealer mentioned that there is a rumour from Mini UK of a higher power JCW on it's way, manual only.

No figures, but it could be 250'ish BHP I would think, would be pointless making anything less.

Also rumour that the next GP will be 4WD, not sure about that, but you couldn't do it in a normal hatch as you'd lose the boot space, but with a GP being only 2 seats, I can see the possibilities...

·
Registered
217 Posts
My local dealer mentioned that there is a rumour from Mini UK of a higher power JCW on it's way, manual only.

No figures, but it could be 250'ish BHP I would think, would be pointless making anything less.

Also rumour that the next GP will be 4WD, not sure about that, but you couldn't do it in a normal hatch as you'd lose the boot space, but with a GP being only 2 seats, I can see the possibilities...
A 4WD GP? Sounds promising!

But my guess is they'd have to go a bit higher than 250hp with all the amazing 280-350hp hot hatch competition thats developed over the past few years.

The $400 NM Engineering PowerModule I have in my JCW pushes an effortless and smooth 260hp in its "low' setting so my guess is that the next gen GP would probably target somewhere around 275-280hp, which while a bit low compared to super hot hatches (Focus RS, Megane Trophy, Civic R, Astra VXR, Audi RS3, GolfR, BMW M135, Merc A45 etc), would still be very attractive IF they decide not to gouge us too badly on price and kept the focus of the GP on serious weight reduction (sadly, roll cages tend to add back all the weight savings), and better driving dynamics (i.e. tighter suspension, more steering feel, addition of a mechanical diff and perhaps better brakes at the rear)...

Reactions: AarnMunro and KYDan

·
Registered
34 Posts

There has recently been a limited run 'Challenge Edition' JCW confirmed with goodies likes a LSD, adjustable suspension height and damping, uprated brakes and wheels. No power increase on the 50-100 units expected!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
608 Posts
The GP is "traditionally" (meh.. it's happened twice) a rollout model, that is, when the end is in sight for the F56, the GPIII will appear.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I wonder if that's why there's no rear seats in the GP'S cause they've ran out ;)
No but seriously the next GP could really shake things up in the hot hatch scene, but depends on if it stays true to its roots as a hardcore track biased machine and takes on the likes of the RS Megane Trophy etc.

IMHO I think the F56 has the potential to take it to the big boys and win!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Does this not mean sales are not as good as expected so role out the special's early? a bit like what's happening with the M3/4 I think BMW has gone too far with all the extra kit on mini and BMW that cant be fitted at factory and should be standard and it seems to be biting them in the bum if you ask me.
It would be better for insurance and also no need to have spare exhausts and the likes lying about and it seems the BT exhaust on the M2 options list causing a lot of annoyance , but BMW seen how they have milked this on JCW and made a tidy packet of it think they will do it again, I think they will take it too far sometime soon IMHO

·
Registered
608 Posts
Could mean the opposite too Derek. If there's the money/desire/need for it, any company worth its salt will plug that gap with an appropriate money-sponge.

BMW are the king of lean nowadays too, this is why they have so many models because they have tooling and manufacture down to fine art. Heaven knows how many theoretical lines they have now with their interchangeable tooling, it's mesmerising.

Wait and see I guess, but remember nobody at BMW cares if "your" top of the range model gets superseded. In their eyes, if you want one, work a bit harder and come back and buy one!

·
Registered
13 Posts
A 4WD GP? Sounds promising!

But my guess is they'd have to go a bit higher than 250hp with all the amazing 280-350hp hot hatch competition thats developed over the past few years.

The $400 NM Engineering PowerModule I have in my JCW pushes an effortless and smooth 260hp in its "low' setting so my guess is that the next gen GP would probably target somewhere around 275-280hp, which while a bit low compared to super hot hatches (Focus RS, Megane Trophy, Civic R, Astra VXR, Audi RS3, GolfR, BMW M135, Merc A45 etc), would still be very attractive IF they decide not to gouge us too badly on price and kept the focus of the GP on serious weight reduction (sadly, roll cages tend to add back all the weight savings), and better driving dynamics (i.e. tighter suspension, more steering feel, addition of a mechanical diff and perhaps better brakes at the rear)...

I'd agree with the power of a JCW F54 being somewhere in the range of 250-275 (in an AWD). MINI's are made to be actually driven. In my F54 I have 300hp now and it's crazy fast but definitely could be toned down a bit to be better cornering.
Also MINI seems pretty excited about the 8 speed sport auto, that would possibly be a standard in a JCW maybe? Having the torque needed with that much hp they'd have to modify the trans. The sport trans I have in mine doesn't seem like it would want to handle much more torque (400nm) read about the manual not liking torque above 416nm.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'd agree with the power of a JCW F54 being somewhere in the range of 250-275 (in an AWD). MINI's are made to be actually driven. In my F54 I have 300hp now and it's crazy fast but definitely could be toned down a bit to be better cornering.
Also MINI seems pretty excited about the 8 speed sport auto, that would possibly be a standard in a JCW maybe? Having the torque needed with that much hp they'd have to modify the trans. The sport trans I have in mine doesn't seem like it would want to handle much more torque (400nm) read about the manual not liking torque above 416nm.

I heard that the ZF 8-speed automatic transmission they are planning to use is the same one that was in my old M135i and I have to say that it is absolutely an amazing transmission, in many ways better than any of the previous single or dual clutch units I've owned in previous cars (Golf Gti DSG, Boxster S PDK, Alfa 147 GTA Selespeed). Though the current JCW AT transmission is pretty good when it is in sports mode and pushed to the left for manual shifts, I am quite underwhelmed and unimpressed by every other mode. The ZF 8 speed will be a vast improvement imho...

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
508 Posts
Im actually surprised they would be using this transmission. I am a huge fan of the ZF transmission as it is a really heavy duty transmission used in land rover discoveries, Jags and other really high torqued vehicles. The Mini just doesnt seem to be in need of such a high end transmission.

Jeep bought the plans of this transmission and started to make it themselves and put it into the Grand Cherokee wk2. They didnt do a great job as they must be using cheaper components because of realibility issues with he Jeep.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Errr, guys, it's not a ZF, it's a Aisin 8 Speed (AWF8F35) Automatic, from what I gather, it's pretty clever.

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
508 Posts
Thanks for the correction, i was a bit sceptical of the ZF being earmarked for the Mini.

·
Super Moderator
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rumours of the ZF have always been around, I think because BMW use it in a number of their cars. But it is a big beast, and although the 6 speed in the current JCW is only good for around 290bhp, I don't know if they would move to the unit in the Clubman which already has 4WD.

We'll see what they do on the new JCW Clubbie, I think that will be the best indication.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Errr, guys, it's not a ZF, it's a Aisin 8 Speed (AWF8F35) Automatic, from what I gather, it's pretty clever.
Hmm - too bad as the 6-speed Aisin is definitely underwhelming.

If the new JCW is pushing 300hp, I am not sure why the ZF 8-speed would be overkill as it seemed almost perfectly suited to the 320hp engine in the M135i.

Anyhow, will be interested in test driving whatever they put out and deciding for myself then...

·
Registered
608 Posts
The Aisin 8 speed is technically a twin clutch unit, so not the same pattern as the 6 speed.

That said, I see nothing wrong with the 6 speed unit. Every time I asked anyone what's wrong with it, none of the "naysayers" have given me an answer...

The ZF 8 is just too big...

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
The Aisin 8 speed is technically a twin clutch unit, so not the same pattern as the 6 speed.

That said, I see nothing wrong with the 6 speed unit. Every time I asked anyone what's wrong with it, none of the "naysayers" have given me an answer...

I Thought it was a little hesitant on down shifts , that was the reason and unproven unit , in the eye's of some customers?

·
Registered
217 Posts

I've had a lot of single and twin clutch sports cars (Golf Gti with DSG, Boxster S with PDK, Alfa 147GTA Selespeed) as well as the ZF8 in my M135i and I would rate the Aisin 6 as 5th best out of these 5.

Its not bad when you are in sports mode and flip the lever to manual shift but is terribly slow and lethargic in almost any other setting. Even in sport it locks out downshifts until a much higher rpm than the other units I've driven and definitely hesitates at the top as well, when you push it to the redline.

Its adequately fast for 90% of my daily driving but definitely leaves me wanting more when I push it too hard. In most of my other cars I was happy I chose the paddles instead of the manual but with the JCW, I am feeling that despite the horrible Tokyo traffic jams, the manual would have been a much better choice.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts