Hi, I have worked out how to successfully upgrade my non LED equipped f56 to LED Union Jack rear light units.
The problems overcome were,
1. bulb out error messages
2. Flickering on start up
3. Tail light “flag” sections not lighting
4. Brake light sections lighting as tail lights, but very brightly
5. After fixing 3. Found “flag” sections then lit more brightly on braking
To fix I did the following,
1. And 2. Code using bimmercode to set indicator, brake lights, indicators and tail lights as LED, and remove warm and cold checking, as detailed my kfmuller above.
2. As above
3. The non LED equipped cars have five instead of six wires, which I’m guessing is for a rear drl maybe? Pin 5 on the connector is blank, however pin 5 on the UJ unit is the “flag” section tail lights. Pin 1 is the tail light wire. So, carefully remove the purple clip to release the pins, remove pin 1 and position at pin 5, after removing the blank grommet. Replace the purple retainer. The “flag” section now lights.
4. In bimmercode go to, BDC_BODY, 3065 Lcdlampmapping4 , MAPPING_STANDL_H2_L_OUTPUT , change from “bl_l” to “off”. Repeat for right. This instructs the ECU to not light the brake light as the second tail light.
5. In bimmercode go to, BDC_BODY, 3065 Lcdlampmapping4 , MAPPING_BREMSL_2_L_OUTPUT , change from “sl_l” to “off”. Repeat for right side. This instructs the ECU to not light the tail light brighter when brake lights activated.
The points 4. and 5. above are needed as the original units have two bulbs for tail and brake, however they work together. One bulb lights as side lights when the ignition is off, and when on the other bulb lights too. On braking they both light brighter. The UJ unit has separate sections so this is not required.
I picked up bits from this forum which has helped, so thought I’d summarise what I’ve done so it might help others out. Obviously this worked for me on a UK non LED F56, but if you try it out it’s at your own risk as I’m no expert..... but I’m happy to try to help.
If anyone knows what pin 1, or the extra wire is for on the LED equipped cars, then please let me know.... I feel like I’m missing out on something! I tried powering pin 1 on the UJ units, but nothing happens, much like powering pin 5 on the original units..