Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All:

Am taking delivery of a 2016 Mini Cooper S at the end of the week. Have been told to limit rpm's to 4400 for first 1,200 miles and easy braking for first 500 miles. Have also been told to break it in like I'm going to drive it for next 5-10 years. So if I plan on driving it like a bat out of ****, that's the way I should drive from the get-go. (Doesn't sound right to me) So would appreciate any and all tips and tricks from the experienced Mini owners.

Thanks!

"Carson" is a 2016 Cooper S in Moonwalk Grey Metallic with black mirrors, roof and spoiler. 6.5" Visual Boost. Enhanced BT and USB. JCW Interior Package. JCW Exterior Package. Dynamic Damper Control. Sport Automatic Transmission with paddle shifters. Keyless Entry. Heated front seats. Rear view camera and Park Distance Control. HK audio. Tuner exhaust with Blue Tooth remote and ECU remapping (additional 30 hp).

· Registered
96 Posts
Just drive normally, but don't thrash it (keep below 4,500 revs) or let it labour in too high a gear.

Ignore the gear change indicator in the display, as that tells you to change up too early.

You can still have plenty of fun driving like this, 4,500 revs in top is over 100mph.

· Registered
199 Posts
A bit off topic but brings back memories of my first new car.

Got a new AlfaSud Ti and asked the sales guy about running in. With a deadpan face face he said " Keep it to under 4000RPM as far as the motorway then thrash the arse off it"

The motorway was all of three miles away.

Followed his advice and did 45,000 in two years with no mechanical issues, bodywork was another issue. Truly a biodegradable car but great fun to drive, bit like the MINI really!

· Registered
303 Posts
Take it gently at the beginning of your journeys to allow the oil to get up to temp and then just drive it harder than you usually would so it loosens up nicely. Vary the speed and revs as the worse thing you can do is sit at a constant rev point.

· Registered
2,212 Posts
Personally I never "run" a car in, we did back in the day but now a days they are built to such fine tolerances there is no need at all.

Agree with Buz to let the oil etc get up to temperature but after that just enjoy it how it's meant to be enjoyed.

Dollyman your sales guy gave great advice.

Buz and me used to be on another forum some years back and a guy called Roger gave us the benefit of his engineering knowledge with do's and dont's, one was if pussyfooting about it will lead to possible issues like oil usage etc, this was back on the N14 engines but I followed his advice and drove my brand new R55 JCW hard from day one and 4.5 years later not a drop of oil used and no issues, Roger was a very wise man......

At least 7 out of 10 new cars are either rental, demo or company cars and everyone of them will be driven hard from day one if this was a issue then there would be a lot of cars with problems..........

· Super Moderator
8,919 Posts
No one keepscars long enough these days ,to find out. But as a minimum follow the manual its quite clear. Lots say thrash em lots say be gentle certainly early oil change not needed but clean oil prolongs engine life imo. I ignore minis 18k and halve this for the sake of £30! Sooty oil can't circulate or do its job as well as lean oil but if you only keep your car for 100,000 mile you won't notice anyway. Same with brake fluid and coolant. Chances are you'll manage this long on coolant but heaven help the head gasket eventually.etc etc.its a slow corrosive effect.

There are threads on here about it but I'd sort of agree but disagree with the above. From my model engine days if you waNt a fast engine run it hard from the get go. But it won't last as well. These engines needed re builds(new pistons and rings) far sooner than mine. I was happy to be gentler and never ever had an engine fail or need a rebuild but they probably were down a little on power revs.
Were talking hours and hours of flying here BTW.
Tolerances are teeny on a two stroke 0.4 cc model engine though .and the above refers to my honest experience with lots of small two stroke glowplug engines running castor oil methanol and some ,usually 5% nitomethane. Not modern four stroke engines.

If you read honest john www.honestjohn.co.UK he sort of concurs with Dave too. Rental cars are best runners and best run in due to good maintenance but being driven from the start in a BIG variety of styles some slow some quick but varied. Varied running and nothing constant seems important this ensures thermal stability. Just my bit. Love this topic.

My advice then, no labouring varied lots of varied speed ie dont sit on the motorway in sixth at 70 mph for an hour change gear and vary the revs and nothing too hard nor namby pamby no no no green mode(ignore the change indicator) actually ever for green mode, . stick to the rev omit mini give you in the book then after the miles are done build em up to full whack (when and always she fluids are warm).

If you intend to race your mini and not keep it longer than ............. Thrash it from day one! But again vary it ,hard then slow down to cool things etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.