Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm very happy to have taken delivery of a 6 month old 5-door hatch Cooper D yesterday. It's beautiful. But.... I was led to believe by the dealer that I could easily transfer music from my iPhone to the car's hard drive. However, that doesn't appear to be the case. Every time I try (have tried using an iPhone 7 and a 5), it tells me that the function is not supported.

I can play music via USB without problems, and I can play via Bluetooth with the 5 (but not the 7).

I called Mini customer services and was given a very unsatisfactory answer that there are technical compatibility issues with iPhones and no resolution date in sight.

I feel rather aggrieved that Mini has removed the physical media option (CD) without thoroughly testing the digital options first. And an iPhone is hardly a lesser known phone model!

Has anyone had this problem and is what Mini is telling me actually true?

·
Registered
460 Posts
The only way to transfer music to the hard drive is mp3 files on USB drive although at this point you may as well judt use the USB drive instead(i do)

Music on your phone can be streamed via Bluetooth

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Hi Karen & welcome along :)

MINI haven't removed the CD as such but it's a cost extra which most haven't opted for but know what you mean...

I've still to transfer to my hard drive but what I can understand you do it via a memory stick!

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Enjoy the MINI adventure :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
MINI haven't removed the CD as such but it's a cost extra which most haven't opted for but know what you mean...
Is this definitely right? I've never seen it as an option either on the website or when we were at our dealer's configuring our car...? Very interested to see a print screen if it is a cost option!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Is this definitely right? I've never seen it as an option either on the website or when we were at our dealer's configuring our car...? Very interested to see a print screen if it is a cost option!
No I'm wrong sorry, I thought I read it somewhere but think it was a dvd player fitted into the secret glovebox which has now also been withdrawn.. :)

·
Registered
763 Posts
Karen what spec Do you have? Only cars with Visual Boost XL 8.5" screen have the hard drive. Visual Boost+Connected with the 6.5" screen does not have the hard drive.
As I understand it the only way to transfer music to the hard drive is with a USB stick, I don't believe transferring from a phone has ever been supported.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
No way to transfer music from any iDevice on any car. This is not a MINI problem - that's a limitation of the iPhone/iPod. Transfer from USB drives is possible if you have the 8.8" Navigation and transfer from some Android phones is supported as well (provided they support USB Mass Storage mode).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all! It's a shame that neither the Mini dealer nor the Mini customer services rep was able to tell me that it's not possible to transfer directly from the phone.

For those asking what spec I have, it's the Media pack XL with the wide screen. I'm fairly sure I have the functionality - it offers the option to import music to the hard drive but then tells me that the function is not supported when I try to do it.

I have transferred all my music to a USB stick now and can easily play off that. I might check later if that will also allow me to upload to the hard drive.

If I wanted to play via Bluetooth (which I can't do with my iphone 7), presumably I'd need a software upgrade? Hard to believe on a 6 month old car that it's already out of date!

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
NOPE you should be able to stream from bluetooth without an upgrade-my android phone works brilliantly via bluetooth-simply pair the phone ensure the music option is ticked in the settings and play(select bluetooth and your phone as the source). HOWEVER i don't do anything apple so apologies if i am wrong on this front!

WHY can't you stream music from your i phone? i thought bluetooth was industry standard?

Really simple to import music from usb to the hard drive-simply insert usb and select the import option you have-it's quick easy and brilliant imo and am missing now we dont have it!

Ps welcome to the forum-arent dealers great sometimes! Hopefully you will find the forum more informative and helpful than them-don't be afraid to ask any question ! we are all learning all of the time!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Thank you all! It's a shame that neither the Mini dealer nor the Mini customer services rep was able to tell me that it's not possible to transfer directly from the phone.

For those asking what spec I have, it's the Media pack XL with the wide screen. I'm fairly sure I have the functionality - it offers the option to import music to the hard drive but then tells me that the function is not supported when I try to do it.

I have transferred all my music to a USB stick now and can easily play off that. I might check later if that will also allow me to upload to the hard drive.

If I wanted to play via Bluetooth (which I can't do with my iphone 7), presumably I'd need a software upgrade? Hard to believe on a 6 month old car that it's already out of date!
You should be able to transfer music from the USB to the hard drive...just select Import music while in USB playback.

Why can't you stream music from your iPhone? It is absolutely supported.... Just make sure your iPhone is up to date, software-wise, as iOS 10.0.0 does not work reliably with MINIs over bluetooth, but newer versions do (iOS 10.1.1 I believe is the current version).

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have just noticed that my phone has a software update due so I'll sort that out and then try again. When I collected the car, the dealer said that iPhone 7s are 'too new'. I didn't say anything but I was surprised by that explanation.

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
You will generally find that if theyre not sure instead of being honest sales people talk rubbish.! This forum is a far more reliable source of info i find! Keep us informed as to how you get on!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts