Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last month I bought a used 2015 Cooper hardtop 5 door with sports and premium packages. I love the car and how it drives in general. Have few questions.

(1) I know MINI recommends to change oil at 10k miles. I feel that's too long an interval considering I do a lot of stop and go driving and cold starts. Is changing oil at 5k miles an overkill?

(2) Though I have the Cooper, I like the grill of Cooper S. The grill dimensions look the same to me. So I asked the dealer for a quote to install the S grill and they said it can't be done. Anyone here did this?

(3) I have the white led headlights with cornering and love it. However the fog lamps below it are the yellow halogen type. Can these easily be changed to match the white led headlights? Dealer declined this as well and it doesn't make any sense to me.

(4) I always use top tier premium gas. Does it make sense to add Techron once in few months for cleaning carbon buildup? Is that even a problem with the MINIs?

(5) Is there a way to play the music via Bluetooth just like how the phone calls work? I hate having to plug in the cable every time I get in the car. I don't have the big screen infotainment system.

(6) This might sound stupid: is there any way to take it the small screen radio system and install the big screen infotainment system? I regret not buying a car with the newer infotainment system.

Any general tips to keep the car looking and running like new?

Apologize for the long post. Really appreciate all your inputs.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
007 welcome to the forum. Did you buy your F55 from a Mini Dealer? If so run and find a better Mini Dealer. They do not sound very customer friendly too me.

Let,s see if I can answer some of your question.

1 I change my oil between 6 and 8K depends if I do a lot of city driving. 5K imho is a little of an overkill 10K is stretching it a little for me. The light on the dash will come I had it come on at 6k 8k if I drive a lot in the city stop/go.

2 the Cooper S grill will fit just fine on the F55

3 Can not answer that question for you but somebody else will.:)

4 I have my Cooper now for 17 month and have not added anything to the tank. I run 91 Octane and 89 Octane. I switch between 89 and 91 Octane to see if the car runs different and I can not feel any difference. I guess the computer is doing a fine job.

5 I use a cable it works for me I be sure somebody else will give you the details on how to set it up

6 I be sure it can be switch for the bigger screen but it will not be cheap. Somebody else probably can give you more details.

I hand wax my car every 6 month and give the interior/seats/carpet a deep clean to keep it looking like new.

Hope that helped a little to answer your questions. Enjoy your Mini and posts some pics of your car.;)

·
Registered
763 Posts
1) Change the oil every 5 - 6k miles.

2) It should fit just fine. But there's only one way to find out.....

3) Double check this. LED fog lights are a required item with the LED or LED with Cornering headlights option.

4) Use the highest octane available to you and you'll be fine. Direct injection engine, any additives you use will not touch the valves and is a waste of money.

5) There is Bluetooth and Enhanced Bluetooth. I believe the Enhanced Bluetooth option is needed for this.

6) Honestly I doubt it. It is not just the head unit and display but also the controller and buttons in the center console by the parking brake and all associated wiring.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1 I change my oil between 6 and 8K depends if I do a lot of city driving. 5K imho is a little of an overkill 10K is stretching it a little for me. The light on the dash will come I had it come on at 6k 8k if I drive a lot in the city stop/go.
90% of my driving is city/suburban. In spite of that, the light on the dash has not come yet and the Vehicle Status indicator in the radio says the Oil is OK. I called the dealer today morning to find out whether the oil change will be covered under the 3 year free maintenance package if I do it before the car says it is time to do it, and dealer said NO. So my questions are these.

(1) For the amount of city driving I do, is it OK to trust the computer and wait till the light comes on to do the oil change, or should I do it earlier (~7k miles or so)?

(2) Assuming, I do it at 7k miles (when the light is not ON), the computer gets reset and lights will not turn ON in another 7k miles from now. This means the next oil change also won't be free from the dealer under the free maintenance package offered by MINI. Is this a valid scenario?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Welcome 007..... :)

(5) Bluetooth music - yes, it does - mine is an F56 3dr 2016 with normal stereo, visual boost and HK setup but no enhanced bluetooth or the XL display. Mine was difficult to set up and get it working and is still my biggest frustration with the car.

I run with a Samsung Galaxy S6 and Spotify. Seems to be very selective on what works with Android. eg. Apple Music + Samsung Galaxy does not work. Wife's iPhone and my iPad, everything works. Mini connected is rubbish and a waste of time if your on Android.

On hols at the moment and my Mini is many many miles away, but I'm sure someone will be a long shortly and tell you how to set it up if you post what phone you have.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Enjoy your Mini and posts some pics of your car.;)
This is the only pic I have at the moment. It was clicked at dusk under white fluorescent light and hence the weird color. It is a deep blue + white exterior with Sports and Premium packages. Only regret is I didn't get the bigger screen infotainment system.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
On hols at the moment and my Mini is many many miles away, but I'm sure someone will be a long shortly and tell you how to set it up if you post what phone you have.
I have an iPhone 6 and it works perfectly for phone calls via bluetooth. I'm looking for cordless bluetooth streaming of music (Apple Music, Spotify and stored music) from the phone.

On a related note, have you guys found any good magnetic phone mounts that work with Cooper? I tried one that goes on the vent but it didn't fit because of the protruding knobs on the vents. Tried another that has a suction-cup base but it didn't fit anywhere on the dash as I couldn't find a flat enough portion to mount it.

I really like the convenience of getting in the car, sticking the phone to the magnetic phone mount and then attending calls and listening to music without any cables in sight.

·
Registered
320 Posts
If you don't get an answer I'll have a look in a week or so time when I get home, sure you will though....

For holder options, check out the 'iPhone Holder' thread, about 15 down on general discussion, quite a few on there, including mine(!) which isn't magnetic but almost cable-less and works really really well for me :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
James Bond(007) your Mini looks great love the blue/white combo.:)
Thank you! I love it too. The LED DRL looks great and the headlights with cornering are fantastic for night driving. The lights below the headlights (fog llights/bug lights / parking lights whatever) are the regular yellowish halogen bulbs. I feel this spoils the look of the car at night when the lights are ON. I always set the lights to Auto mode and haven't found out a way to turn off these secondary lights. Any idea how to do this?

Also, how easy/difficult is it to change that bulb to match the LED headlights color? I have read posts about using resistors and all, but not sure whether it applies here.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Thank you! I love it too. The LED DRL looks great and the headlights with cornering are fantastic for night driving. The lights below the headlights (fog llights/bug lights / parking lights whatever) are the regular yellowish halogen bulbs. I feel this spoils the look of the car at night when the lights are ON. I always set the lights to Auto mode and haven't found out a way to turn off these secondary lights. Any idea how to do this?

Also, how easy/difficult is it to change that bulb to match the LED headlights color? I have read posts about using resistors and all, but not sure whether it applies here.
You have the same lights I do on my 2015 F56S.
The LED fog lights are a required item with LED/Cornering headlights. The lower fog lights have top and bottom sections, the top half turns on with the headlights and the bottom half is the fog light that comes on with the fog light switch.

I an post a picture later but mine are definitely white and not yellow.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You have the same lights I do on my 2015 F56S.
The LED fog lights are a required item with LED/Cornering headlights. The lower fog lights have top and bottom sections, the top half turns on with the headlights and the bottom half is the fog light that comes on with the fog light switch.

I an post a picture later but mine are definitely white and not yellow.
I don't have a fog light in that case, because the bottom half is covered for me and there is not switch for fog lights in the car. However, the top half most definitely is not white. I'll post a picture today evening.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I don't have a fog light in that case, because the bottom half is covered for me and there is not switch for fog lights in the car. However, the top half most definitely is not white. I'll post a picture today evening.

Interesting. I recall when I built my MCS that LED Fogs being required to get the LED headlights. This could be different for the 2015 Cooper, anything is possible since sometimes MINI doesn't make a lot of sense in their configurations. The fog light switch is more accurately a button to the left of the headlight switch.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Don't sweat not having the visual boost or xl screen. Nothing wrong with the radio alone, especially if you have the HK sound system! I chose to not get visual boost & love just having the radio....if you have a manual trans no problem using the touch control! lol! No worries about software upgrades either! Just enjoy what you have. Load music on a flash drive & be done with it...no cables!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Here's the picture of headlights and the lights below it. As you can see the below one is not white. I do have cornering lights and the lights I see in the corners when this feature is active is white, not yellow.

The small light itself is divided into two parts and I don't have a dog lights button near the headlights knob.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Don't sweat not having the visual boost or xl screen. Nothing wrong with the radio alone, especially if you have the HK sound system! I chose to not get visual boost & love just having the radio....if you have a manual trans no problem using the touch control! lol! No worries about software upgrades either! Just enjoy what you have. Load music on a flash drive & be done with it...no cables!

I have the HK system but noticed the bass is low even with full bass setting. Any idea where I can find the subwoofer? I read somewhere its under the driver seat. I checked and I didn't find anything there.

The HK system turned out to be a bit underwhelming for me.

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Bass units under grills under the driver a passenger seats you can't miss them .metal grille with deep screw recesses just poking from side seat.but all have these just different quality with the HK system.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
With HK bass are not low...
Or your HK is not working properly...or your music is not proper recorded...or your tastes are explosive!
I'm just comparing it with the BOSE system in my Mazda CX-5. The Mazda BOSE system was branded as underwhelming in several reviews, but I was OK with it. The HK in MINI definitely pales in comparison, unless I'm missing something here.

Will check under the seats today to see whether the woofers/bass is working.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts