Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I just leased a 2015 Mini Cooper S, and I already think I'm going to buy it when the lease is up. I absolutely love it!

I had recently become a responsible adult and was driving my wife's 2007 Civic coupe, until an SUV driver lost control and slammed into me. (I work in DC ... just another day there.) I was a muscle car guy growing up, with the exception of a Wrangler and a Honda Prelude Si (long story). I had two V6 Firebirds and a 1986 IROC-Z Camaro, but I really got into racing a 2000 Procharged Mustang GT (it was set up for the twisties, but was still a 12-second daily driver back when that meant something). I should've never sold that car (the only thing that was left stock was the engine block and bottom end), but I traded to an '08 Mustang GT, and eventually to a 2012 Charger Road/Track. Then enter a baby, which is when I took the Civic and sold the Charger for an Escape for my wife... (My life story, in cars.)

But I'm excited to have a fun car again! Driving the Civic, especially in cities, made me realize that I like small cars and good gas mileage--I've always loved good handling. Since I got the car, I've been devouring the Internet ... I've already ordered the BMS Stage 1 BETA for the B48. Since I leased the car, that's probably all I'll do for now... Regardless, I want to learn as much as I can about the F56, because I have a sneaking suspicion I'll be driving one for a long time.

By day I work for Uncle Sam, but I write sci-fi by night under the name Hugh Taylor (hughtaylorscifi.com). My debut novel is titled Paradigm Lost, and the sequel is Limits of Power. I'm currently working on the third book when I have time.

If anybody has already installed the BMS Stage 1, I'd be interested to hear how it went!

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
Congrats on Both the BABY and Mini. Sounds like you'll fit in well here ;). I just traded my 2014 F56 , I had the BMS on that and plan on putting on my 2016 F56 MCS. It made a night and day difference . Huge amount of turn key torque. BTW outmotoring has the best deal on the BMS. (none of our vendors on this site carry them)

Now post of some pics of your Mini ;)

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everybody! And Peter, thanks for the info--that jives with what I've been reading. I've also seen that, though the B48 in the F56 is rated at 189/207 at the crank, dynos show it putting 190/220 at the wheels stock. Is that about right? I have a coworker who is into BMWs, and he says it's not uncommon for BMW to downplay stock power numbers.

Anyway, if that's correct, the BMS tune would then put the Mini at about 220whp/260wtq, right? Coming from racing V8s, I was worried I was going to miss the torque, lol. Granted, it's not the 400 lb-ft of the Dodge 5.7L, but the car is also 1,500 pounds lighter and max torque is at 1,250 RPM--which still blows my mind. (I think I like this car. ;-) )

As for pictures, it was dark and rainy when the dealership finished detailing it, so all I have are these. Though, it's going to be a nice day today, so I may wash it and snap some more.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
Hey Elim2369 in June of 2015 I had my previous F56 on a dyno. Stock readings were 203 BHP and 216 torque this was an average of 3 pulls.
With the BMS in place I was at 223 BHP and 257 torque, again that was an average of 3 passes.
I have yet to have the 2016 on a dyno (still breaking her in). :nerd:

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Elim2369 in June of 2015 I had my previous F56 on a dyno. Stock readings were 203 BHP and 216 torque this was an average of 3 pulls.
With the BMS in place I was at 223 BHP and 257 torque, again that was an average of 3 passes.
I have yet to have the 2016 on a dyno (still breaking her in). :nerd:
Thanks again for the info! USPS says my BMS piggyback device will be here on Saturday, but it's still in California, so we will see.

Also, I just found out that my Honda commuter car is most likely totaled, and since I was running dash cams front and back (and was hit by a reckless driver), I think I'm going to get some money. My current plan is to be mature with it, but if there's other low-hanging fruit in terms of mods, I may funnel a small amount in that direction...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts