Mini Cooper Forum banner

New mini 3 cylinder or 2016 JCW?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this beautiful 2019 F56 3 cylinder but i've been in the search for more power and i've seen how my car has the same value as an used 2016-2017 jcw, would you recommend upgrading even if it means loosing the 7 speed dct, apple CarPlay and all those new features?

Attachments

Registered
Can you live without those features? Have you considered a Cooper S instead? Cheaper and the savings could be put towards a nice exhaust 馃

One thing I will say is that I wouldn鈥檛 consider anything less than a Cooper S if I was getting another MINI. Even if it meant sacrificing some gadgets.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried to upload a video but it won't let me, i have a valvetronic exhaust, it sounds both stock or straight piped depending on which mode you are in. I've seen some Cooper S's and they are priced similarly here in Mexico, in the JCW you get better seats, gearbox, power, suspension, brakes and style, while it is only 1,000 to 2,000 dollars over the cooper s...

Registered
An MCS would be a very good option. It has enough power to put a big smile on your face and the stock exhaust sounds pretty well too, IMO. With the MCS you'll leave behind most cars quite easily, and by a decent distance :LOL:

If you're more into to the driving-fun part, you won't miss the gadgets. Just make sure it has the Mini Driving modes!!!!
The MCS is efficient in terms of fuel, but the MC is naturally more efficient. The JCW should be a little more thirsty than the MCS (from what I've read), but not much.

Two important things to consider about the JCW: louder engine (which like other members say, could be addressed with an upgraded exhaust in the S, if you decide you want more sound), and better brakes (I think the JCW has the bite feeling that the R56 used to have). Not that the brakes in the MCS are not good, but they are certainly more powerful in the JCW.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
An MCS would be a very good option. It has enough power to put a big smile on your face and the stock exhaust sounds pretty well too, IMO. With the MCS you'll leave behind most cars quite easily, and by a decent distance :LOL:

If you're more into to the driving-fun part, you won't miss the gadgets. Just make sure it has the Mini Driving modes!!!!
The MCS is efficient in terms of fuel, but the MC is naturally more efficient. The JCW should be a little more thirsty than the MCS (from what I've read), but not much.

Two important things to consider about the JCW: louder engine (which like other members say, could be addressed with an upgraded exhaust in the S, if you decide you want more sound), and better brakes (I think the JCW has the bite feeling that the R56 used to have). Not that the brakes in the MCS are not good, but they are certainly more powerful in the JCW.
Thank you! I think it鈥榮 worth the extra 1-2k to get the JCW and I believe it will have a better resale value in the future, I鈥檒l let you know!! There is also a guy with a 7.5 golf Gti who wants to exchange cars, but the build and interior quality is light years ahead on the mini.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The 3 cylinder is superb. Great character and handling . Think carefully. I have a jcw.
I鈥檝e driven the 3 engines and I enjoyed the most the JCW, it feel just a bit nose heavy compared to the 3 cyl, but I felt that it compensates the understeer when driving hard although it makes it just a little less agile. Why do you think are the cons?

Super Moderator
We have a JCW clubby-wouldn't really want to go back to an f56 at all . The power and performance of the JCW is fantastic-don't get me wrong-just puts a big grin on my face. But if you have a Cooper with the spec you want-and that leather is lovely, and you know it from new, than a second hand buy might be risky. The little 3 cylinder sounds sublime and is light and VERY economical . Much cheaper to run.-insurance and service less too. But you pay your money and takes your choice-am v lucky we could JUST afford a brand new jcw! The only thing I find re the JCW is it's almost too fast for uk roads most of the time!

Registered
The 3 cylinder Cooper and the JCW F56 are such completely different animals that you're unlikely to obtain a consensus view on an owners forum.
If the JCW itch needs scratching then I'd go for it. 馃榿
Just be prepared for a more focused and less cosseted driving experience together with higher (although not ridiculous) running costs.
Both are absolutely ace in my view - don't suppose having both is an option for you ? :)

Registered
Cooper S Works 210
Don't forget to factor in running costs for a 3-4 year old car as the warranty will have expired (unless the owner extended it) so any problems will be out of your pocket as well as servicing costs as you'll be due the big services where you might have another year for the 1st service on your current car. The insurance will be higher for a JCW and you'll be driving a car with unknown history unlike your own and things will be starting to wear (depending on mileage of course).

I owned a Cooper with the works kit a couple of years ago and enjoyed it, if i was going to keep it longer (i get bored quickly) i would have remapped it which some tuners claim to up power to 180bhp and with a torque 3 cyl should make it nippy enough.
After a break from minis (had several VAGs) i bought my Cooper S Works 210 which is a compromise from the harsher ride and more on/off response from a JCW i test drove before - i'm not sure if it was that car or all JCWs are like that?
The Works 210 comes with a Pro exhaust so as well as looking good, being nippy they also sound great (y)

Registered
Thank you! I think it鈥榮 worth the extra 1-2k to get the JCW and I believe it will have a better resale value in the future, I鈥檒l let you know!! There is also a guy with a 7.5 golf Gti who wants to exchange cars, but the build and interior quality is light years ahead on the mini.
No problem! Yes, tempting, the VW GTI is also good, reliable, and fast. But I agree, Minis are more special/fun (specially when it comes to handling/design). The GTI is more sober (maybe quicker than an MCS? but not as fun).

It seems that you're between your MC and a JCW then! BTW, I hadn't thought what Jeremy and Robby say, but it's true: you know how good you've taken care of your MC, and there's always a risk in buying another car (I mean, even with new cars there's a tiny risk of having a faulty something, albeit you have the warranty). It's a good thing to take into consideration!

Keep us posted :D

Registered
One other thing to consider, the JCW is a performance car right? You never know how much a used one has been thrashed. Some people are nice to their cars, some not so much. I'd suggest a car like the JCW might attract more of the later (the thrashers).

Just something to factor in when buying a used performance car (it's why I bit the bullet and got a new one...not that I am suggesting you do that).

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.