Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I am a new owner of a 2019 F56 and want to add CarPlay to it somehow. It does not (knowingly) have navigation (although it is capable of showing me speed limits, not sure how you have one but not the other). I’m not sure what headunit it is and have no idea how to find out so if anyone can help me out as to whether it’s possible and how to find headunit info that would be awesome.
Car ain’t the same as my R53 but I love it none the less. Great to be back in the Mini community

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hey guys,

I am a new owner of a 2019 F56 and want to add CarPlay to it somehow. It does not (knowingly) have navigation (although it is capable of showing me speed limits, not sure how you have one but not the other). I’m not sure what headunit it is and have no idea how to find out so if anyone can help me out as to whether it’s possible and how to find headunit info that would be awesome.
Car ain’t the same as my R53 but I love it none the less. Great to be back in the Mini community
Welcome back. PM’d.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I’m still waiting for Scotts reply, but I have the small non touchscreen headunit. From what I’ve read I have to upgrade that but it’s not a friendly upgrade especially in price. Price doesn’t bother me but what technical aspects do I need to worry about? I saw some saying the basic unit I have has a different connector and the nbdrive system I need has a special locking slide connector, but taking mine apart I do have a locking slide connector. I don’t even know how to tell what headunit I have and haven’t found a form to tell me other than “send me your VIN” which is only so helpful.

I’m sorry guys, bit Overloaded on information here, I knew everything about my R53 but nothing about this F56, completely different, more complex beast

·
Registered
204 Posts
I installed a CarPlay box in a friends 2015 F56 Cooper which has the smaller non-touch screen and no nav. Bought it from Bavarian Automotive and was really easy to install. The guys there were really helpful with any questions beforehand too :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
I installed a CarPlay box in a friends 2015 F56 Cooper which has the smaller non-touch screen and no nav. Bought it from Bavarian Automotive and was really easy to install. The guys there were really helpful with any questions beforehand too :)

The original poster has a BIS headunit, where the headunit and screen are one part. A multimedia interface (or CarPlay box) isn’t an option as there’s no way to install it between the screen and headunit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts