Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my F56 was in for its 24k mile service today where I was informed that it requires new pads and disks all round.... to the tune of £830.

Price breakdown (inc. labour):
Front Pads: £279.94
Rear Pads: £246.47
Front Disks: £187.03
Rear Disks: £116.52
Total: £829.96

So, I phoned my friend who owns a garage and he quoted me £400 for the lot supplied and fitted. And that's for BluePrint disks and Pagid brake pads.

Just a heads up for anyone needing pads and/or disks in the future. It might be a good bit cheaper to go somewhere else.

· Registered
407 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on that cost.... jeebus

My only other question is... How would doing brakes yourself affect the warranty? Would MINI/BMW deny you coverage?

· Registered
159 Posts
In the UK and in compliance with EU regulations...

"The work can be carried out by an independent garage as long as that garage uses manufacturer approved parts and correctly follows the manufacturer's service schedule. Independent garages generally have much lower overheads than franchised dealers so their hourly labour rate is also cheaper. One specific requirement of the Block Exemption Regulations was that technical data and repair instructions should be made available to the independent motor trade (for which manufacturers could make a reasonable charge) so that car owners were not obliged to take their car to a franchised dealer for service or repair." http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/general-advice/right-to-repair-campaign.html

However whilst the manufacturer (MINI-BMW UK) cannot say that it will invalidate any warranty it makes any work charged under favourable conditions, 'good will gestures', almost certainly a non-starter.

· Registered
1,837 Posts
So my F56 was in for its 24k mile service today where I was informed that it requires new pads and disks all round.... to the tune of £830.

Price breakdown (inc. labour):
Front Pads: £279.94
Rear Pads: £246.47
Front Disks: £187.03
Rear Disks: £116.52
Total: £829.96

So, I phoned my friend who owns a garage and he quoted me £400 for the lot supplied and fitted. And that's for BluePrint disks and Pagid brake pads.

Just a heads up for anyone needing pads and/or disks in the future. It might be a good bit cheaper to go somewhere else.
Yikes! I can only presume my SD will require more expensive variants...

Not that I'll keep it long enough to do 24k miles.

· Super Moderator
8,919 Posts
Eurocar parts are very reasonable. Why would it affect the warranty. If you replace disks and pads there's not much of the actual system to go wrong that is left!

· Registered
2015 F56 JCW
509 Posts
Apparently you also need to replace the brake pad wear sensors as well and they surprise surprise are not cheap either. The price the dealership is quoting you is an absolute discrace. They cant hold you to ransom against your warranty so aslong as the independant is a professional mechanic and follows the "manu r acturer guidelines" you will be covered.

· Registered
1,654 Posts
I have no intention on using the dealer for any replacement parts. Will definitely go independent.

My other half even offered to do my brakes for me since he regularly overhauls our Freelander.......

Reactions: jeremybingham

· Super Moderator
8,919 Posts
Yes totally agree Donna, and if it's anything like the r series they really are the easiest discs and pads i've ever changed-r series wear sensors were £14 from eurocarparts-they seem a bit slow getting f series stuff up on the website though.

I put pagid discs and pads all round on my r 56 cooper s for less than £200 i think from memory. Great quality and brake response was better afterwards. The only tricky bit i felt was the routingof the rear pad wear sensor -just takes time to follow the route and pop the holders round it and get it correnct-bit of crawling under the car required.

Prices will plummet as they age/become more common for the f.
I will do my own when the time comes and if i still have the car.

BTW Seems VERY ODD to me mini are quoting more for the actual pads than the discs-that is a first in my experience.

· Registered
495 Posts
I know these cars are not cheap, but you do get a lot for your money for a luxury compact car.
Having said that, it reminds me of the old shaver story. You get the shaver for almost free, but
it is the razor costs more than the shaver.. Just like printers, the print cartridge costs just about as much as a new printer.
Having said that, Mini doesn't cover wear and tare items under warranty unless faulty.
Replacement parts installed by the dealer in Canada are covered for up to 24 months.

· Registered
320 Posts
So you think thats bad, here's a story about our old '11 plate Audi A1 which we sold a couple of weeks back....

Engine light comes on, its 4 years old, 60k miles. Start, stop it a couple of times, light comes back on. Bugger. Off to Listers Audi.

Turbo is f**ked, £2,750.00 please plus £65 for the diagnostic check to tell you. Oh, and the Cambelt is due at £75k so we'll do you a special price of £600 to include that and the water pump as we'll have the engine in bits anyway....

Rage ensues, I tell them to shove it, tell them if I'd bought a Fiesta, I could throw it in the skip and buy another one for that kind of money... you get my drift. They immediately drop the price to £1,600, I get even madder that they've just taken over £1,500 off the bill at the drop of a hat, and a local indy will do it ALL for £800.

We 'agreed' on £1,000 all in. My 70 year old mum would have handed over £3k+. Absolute w*nk*rs. Replaced it with a brand new diesel Fiat 500X with 25% off list (£16k from £22k) and not the Q3/A3 we were considering.

Even better, had test driven a TTS the week before for me, and a Golf R from the VW Listers next door too. It caused me to look elsewhere when I stumbled across the JCW, test drove it and ordered one :) :) :) Had great pleasure in telling Listers on both counts....

I'm sure BMW/Mini would be no different if they could get away with it.... Oh, and haggle, haggle hard people :)

· Registered
2,212 Posts
Fully agree with haggling :)

I wanted spotlights a few years back, quote from dealer £450 fitted etc.

I said you must be having a laugh, they knocked about £50 off, I turn to walk out the door, dealer calls me back and said we could do for £350, I said make it £250 and you have a deal!

Deal was done at £250 :D

· Registered
2015 F56 JCW
509 Posts
Unfortunately there are not many people out there confident enough to haggle and its the big companies who have no morals, couldnt care less about screwing the general public for every cent. Its funny how the news goes off about con men and want blood but big business does the same thing but on a much larger scale and not one scathing report.

I know its business and thats how it works but honestly why is it permitted on a humanity level, on a moral level and would these people cut their own mothers life support system to save some money.

· Registered
320 Posts
Unfortunately there are not many people out there confident enough to haggle and its the big companies who have no morals, couldnt care less about screwing the general public for every cent. Its funny how the news goes off about con men and want blood but big business does the same thing but on a much larger scale and not one scathing report.

I know its business and thats how it works but honestly why is it permitted on a humanity level, on a moral level and would these people cut their own mothers life support system to save some money.
And that was what made me so mad, yes I'm fortunately sharp enough to see them coming, but if it was my mum's car, she would have paid £3.5k because she trusts the brand. You expect to pay a premium (and mostly I'm fairly happy to, if nothing else but the convienience) but not a £2.5k premium.

Back to the OP, shop around, get some quotes and be brazen. If you dont feel confident to do it face to face, do it over the phone, or even mail / message etc. Chap who bought the A1 for his daughter haggled over a couple of emails before driving 200 miles to get it.

It cost Listers potentially £70k in lost sales. Not that they care? Bet they do, and I feel better, and best of all my JCW is on the way and i know I'm going to love it. Must think of a name for it......

· Registered
478 Posts
Just looked up the prices for genuine parts. Its about £230 for fronts and £210 rears, thats discs, pads and sensors. The rest is labour.

And I complain when the brakes need replacing on my Caterham, with a total parts cost of £80, thats all discs and pads new brake fluid ;-)

· Registered
2,212 Posts
Just looked up the prices for genuine parts. Its about £230 for fronts and £210 rears, thats discs, pads and sensors. The rest is labour.

And I complain when the brakes need replacing on my Caterham, with a total parts cost of £80, thats all discs and pads new brake fluid ;-)

Don't forget genuine parts are not made by MINI but by a third party, just a case of finding who, I expect there will be some kind of handcuff arrangement by MINI to say they can't supply direct but without finding out we never know..

· Registered
495 Posts
In today's world (jungle) EVERYTHING is negotiable. You just have to be confident, ask politely, stand a firm ground, know what you are talking about by doing your research beforehand, otherwise you will look bad. In the end you should be able to get what you want or pretty close to it like some other posters have done. And then, pat yourself on the back to congratulate yourself and sit down and have a beer or two to celebrate. Cheers !

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.