Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys!

I found this JCW trim in the right colour online for cheap and decided that it is time to fit a Cooper S exhaust to my Cooper. This is perfectly doable, since the tubing diameter between the Cooper and Cooper S is the same size (JCW is bigger).

My (updated) shopping list:
  • Rear bumper trim
  • Cooper S exhaust (can be found quite cheap second hand)
  • Connector piece (to fit the exhaust back together after you cut it) 18307560779
  • (2x) Black Chrome exhaust tip 18309489054
  • Rear fog light left 63247350007
  • Rear fog light right 63247350008
  • Second bulb socket 63247249647 (EDIT: comes included with the fog light)
  • Second lightbulb 63217160935 (EDIT: comes included with the fog light)
  • Heat shield 51487375698
  • Heat shield bumper 51487290748
  • Fog light plug connector housing 61138373332
  • Socket Contact ELO-Power 2.8x0.63 0.5-1.0mm² 61138364836

------------------ While I'm in there ------------------

* The plastic trims on the sides also differ between Cooper and Cooper S, so I decided to get these splitters from eBay.

* I'm also going to install an exhaust valve, to bypass the rear muffler, same as the JCW Pro exhaust does, but on the cheap :)

* I found out BMW now makes the exhaust tips in black and since I did a chrome delete recently, this is what I'm going to get:

------------------ Progress so far ------------------

I've ordered all the parts, now we wait for them to arrive!
I still need to find a new plug for the second fog light and I'm still searching for a way to wire them properly. Maybe I'll just solder them together and code out the warning if that is giving problems.

I will keep you posted as progress goes!

·
Registered
2020 Mini Cooper Oxford edition. Starlight blue with black top, black mirror caps and black wheels.
71 Posts
I looked into this a while back. A local dealer actually performed a similar feat to a 1499 gt. A local YouTuber did a video on the same car including part of the install process.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hi. Thats Brilliant what you are attempting. I am doing similar to my 2016 Cooper, also in white silver !! I had a 2017 F55 S but never really gelled with it & sold it last August. I picked up an F56 cooper as I prefer the 3 cylinder and the added MPG will be great as a daily/work car. Up to date I've fitted: A new black number plate section(was cracked) & whilst removing front Bumper I decided to fit a new Black JCW grill and surround along with Black light surrounds front/back. A JCW rear spoiler & extension tips. Black rear Handle Grab(was chrome, along with grill). Like you, I am looking to fit a rear JCW bumper, and Pro diffuser(which I've bought all ready). Exhaust wise I was hoping to fit a stock JCW exhaust but I'm not sure it will fit correctly onto the cooper down pipe , so I may just fit a cooper S exhaust. I have an almost brand new F55 cooper S exhaust which I removed from my old F55 to fit a JCW one, which I can use, though I'm not convinced it'll sound much better than the cooper one?? I like your idea regarding the Valve. Essentially, all you are doing is a little Re-Plumbing !!!:) You could make the valve manually operated, though you'd have to reach under the car every time you wanted to change it from loud/quiet/loud, which may be a pain if you have a suit Job !!;) Also, how do you find your Remap ?? To me the Engine feels very restricted in its breathing through the exhaust, as did my previous F55 S . My F55 S felt more free to deliver once I'd upgraded to a stock JCW exhaust. Your car will be further improved by a freer flowing exhaust I imagine? Be great to hear how you get on. Good luck. (y)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have an almost brand new F55 cooper S exhaust which I removed from my old F55 to fit a JCW one, which I can use, though I'm not convinced it'll sound much better than the cooper one?? I like your idea regarding the Valve. Essentially, all you are doing is a little Re-Plumbing !!!:) You could make the valve manually operated, though you'd have to reach under the car every time you wanted to change it from loud/quiet/loud, which may be a pain if you have a suit Job !!;) Also, how do you find your Remap ?? To me the Engine feels very restricted in its breathing through the exhaust, as did my previous F55 S . My F55 S felt more free to deliver once I'd upgraded to a stock JCW exhaust. Your car will be further improved by a freer flowing exhaust I imagine? Be great to hear how you get on. Good luck. (y)
I'm pretty sure your F55 exhaust doesn't sound much different from the Cooper one, but I would mostly do it for the looks anyway :D I'm not sure about the free flowing air that you mention, I have a valve installed on my current exhaust, but don't feel much difference open or closed.

I love the remap! It's so much more fun to drive. I've testdriven a Cooper S and JCW since, but I wouldn't trade my car for either. The Cooper S feels much heavier in the front and I found the JCW a little underwhelming in terms of acceleration, but I guess both would benefit from a remap as well.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Guys,
Small update:

Most parts have come in, I'm waiting for one heatshield that they ordered wrong.
The valve has come in, now my friend is going to design and laser cut a set of flanges, so we can mount it! Hopefully we can install it in a few weeks time.

I've updated the shopping list in the first post, since some parts were not needed and I've found out the part nrs for the fog light connectors.

And here’s a sneak peek of what it’s going to look like:

Reactions: Chase1032

·
Registered
300 Posts
Wow! Looks great with the black tailpipes! Are they OEM, just that I can't find them anywhere ?? I totally agree regards the drive the cooper offers over the S/JCW. I never warmed to my F55, after my R56. It always felt too nose heavy, understeering once you pushed it, Likewise the Engine, sounded Dull and lethargic. Always felt I'd picked the wrong model and eventually sold my F55 last August. Was heading for a Fiesta St 3Cylinder but cashflow stopped me & I,m now in a 16 plate cooper and quite happy with it. Needs a remap, but I much prefer the balance of the car over the S/JCW, and the sound of the engine. What where the correct part No. s for the heatshield? Thanks & look forward to seeing your car done. Be great to hear a clip of the exhaust also. (y)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts