Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a recall notice associated with the seat back adjusters on my 2015 MC. It says the adjusters can fail during a collision and allow the seat back to fall backward. I'd probably want to rest a bit after a collision so I probably would have assumed it was a convenience feature.

I searched the forum and didn't find any discussions about the recall so I guess it is a new one. The adjusters seem to work fine so I'm not in a panic to run out and have it done.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where did the notice come from? I've had my 2015 MC for four weeks now and haven't heard anything.

When was your car built?
I received the notice from Mini Canada. My car was built in September. I just have the base seats so maybe it doesn't affect cars with the fancier seat?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had a collision in my 2006 MC and the seat collapsed backward. I thought it was a safety feature since the airbag did not hit me in the face. I guess if someone was sitting behind me they would not have appreciated it though.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am going to look online to see if there is anyone offering aftermarket ejector seats. In the event of a collision, I want to be 100 meters in the air floating down under a canopy of silk.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just read the notice more carefully. It doesn't involve any parts, they are just going to "adjust and tighten" which probably translates to "strip, gronch and leave greasy fingerprints on." I think I'll just pass on that crap and take my chances. Laying down after an accident sounds like a pretty good idea.

·
Super Moderator
7,899 Posts
Unless a staffy leaps on you! Agree if I get it I'm not traipsing 40 mils to Nottingham. Mind sopers Lincoln would do it but I feel guilty when I go there as I didn't buy the car from them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just spied a news article on this particular recall.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/2015-mini-cooper-hardtop-recalled-for-seatback-problem.html

Apparently, it only impacts 846 2015 hardtops manufactured August 12, 2014, to September 2, 2014 that were bound for North America. Mine was built October 4 so I'm good. Might want to check your build date if you're in the Great White North or The Land of Guns and God.

Here's the text of the NHTSA bulletin (essentially, "Don't call us, we'll call you.") I've also attached two PDF docs that were referenced in the bulletin:

Report Receipt Date: NOV 10, 2014
NHTSA Campaign Number: 14V721000
Component(s): SEATS

Vehicle Make Model Model Year(s): MINICOOPER2015

Manufacturer: BMW of North America, LLC

SUMMARY:

BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain model year 2015 MINI Cooper Hardtop 2 Door vehicles manufactured August 12, 2014, to September 2, 2014. In the affected vehicles, the driver and front passenger seatback adjustment mechanism may not be fully engaged.

CONSEQUENCE:

If the seatback adjustment mechanism is not fully engaged, the seatback may fold during a rear impact collision, increasing the risk of injury to the seat occupant.

REMEDY:

MINI will notify owners, and dealers will re-align and re-tighten the seatback adjustment mechanisms, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin in December 2014. Owners can contact MINI customer service at 1-866-825-1525.

NOTES:

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I am going to look online to see if there is anyone offering aftermarket ejector seats. In the event of a collision, I want to be 100 meters in the air floating down under a canopy of silk.
That would be great except the day you wreck it might be in a tunnel or under an overpass. That would leave a mark. PoomSPLAT!

I like the idea of car that fills instantly with foam POOF and when everything stops crashing about, the foam dissolves. Kind of like SecureFoam.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was at my dealership for another issue they put the key fob in the computer carry on and it came up with two recalls. One for the seat and another to replace a bolt in the back suspension. I wouldn't have known if I hadn't been in at the time. They also did a software update for me.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It is hard to understand how "realign and retighten" will solve a problem where a part has been welded into the wrong place. I suspect that it just looks better on the notice than truthfully saying "bend the crap out of so it kind of sort of works as long as you never try to adjust it again".

I have decided I will not allow this to be done on my car so that I am still free to "realign and retighten" BMWs bank account after litigating the crap out of them in court. I like to sue people, I'm good at it.

·
Super Moderator
7,899 Posts
Don't feel guilty. Dealers are paid directly for ALL warranty work by MINI regardless of where the car was purchased.
Yes you're right kenl, I will, have to ' get over it' . It was the sales lady's fault I didn't buy from there any way, she was a teeny bit too slack.long story will do it under another thread if anyone's interested.

·
Registered
734 Posts
It is hard to understand how "realign and retighten" will solve a problem where a part has been welded into the wrong place. I suspect that it just looks better on the notice than truthfully saying "bend the crap out of so it kind of sort of works as long as you never try to adjust it again".

I have decided I will not allow this to be done on my car so that I am still free to "realign and retighten" BMWs bank account after litigating the crap out of them in court. I like to sue people, I'm good at it.
Hard to imagine you would get very far suing them having refused a free offer to resolve the issue made in good faith by Mini!

·
Super Moderator
7,899 Posts
Yes am sure they won't bend things stingrays as that would weaken it I would advise you to get it done.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts